IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, thommo2010 said:

If the vast majority are vaccinated what's the risk? 

The risk is that the vaccine lowers risk of serious illness and death but doesn't eliminate it. The risk is that even by the summer there will be millions in the UK, and billions around the world, still not vaccinated. The risk is that viruses continuously mutate and no one can be sure that the existing vaccines will provide any kind of protection against the new variants that will emerge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Expat. said:

The risk is that viruses continuously mutate and no one can be sure that the existing vaccines will provide any kind of protection against the new variants that will emerge. 

Yes the rich countries of the world need to act in concert to get everywhere vaccinated faster than the thing can mutate within unvaccinated populations.

Realistically that's going to take a couple of years. Meanwhile some of us here won't have been vaccinated before it's time for another dose against the existing mutations.

16 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Nope. Nothing to do with 'the EU dictatorship'. Most of the AZ vaccine used in the UK is manufactured in India. Turns out they need it themselves. There's no doubt that the 'EU dictatorship' have made a total horse's arse of their vaccine procurement, but that's compounded by Astra Zeneca not supplying what they were contracted to supply. 

Actually, most of the AZ vaccines used in the uk are made in the uk. The whole eu issue is about the eu trying to make the uk look bad on the world stage for not exporting to Europe, or in fact anything they can because they now know the uk is going to "fly" now it is outside the eu stranglehold. 

20 minutes ago, Expat. said:

The risk is that the vaccine lowers risk of serious illness and death but doesn't eliminate it. The risk is that even by the summer there will be millions in the UK, and billions around the world, still not vaccinated. The risk is that viruses continuously mutate and no one can be sure that the existing vaccines will provide any kind of protection against the new variants that will emerge. 

The whole point of restrictions and vaccines is to stop the pressure on the nhs not eliminate every death. 

Already the numbers in the uk show the vaccine is easing that pressure. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Actually, most of the AZ vaccines used in the uk are made in the uk. The whole eu issue is about the eu trying to make the uk look bad on the world stage for not exporting to Europe, or in fact anything they can because they now know the uk is going to "fly" now it is outside the eu stranglehold. 

The EU has made a horlicks of organising vaccine rollout - no question.

But they're not trying to make the UK look bad on the world stage because the UK has done a splendid job of that all on it's own:

#1 for most fatalities in Europe

#1 for deepest recession in Europe

Not exactly "flying" imho....

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

But they're not trying to make the UK look bad on the world stage because the UK has done a splendid job of that all on it's own:

Far too early to evaluate the scale of the recession. Could be a few years before your claim might be justified. 

Caught a slim slice of Andy De Wint at lunch time on Thursday and a contributor going on about his daughters mad dash from Switzerland to the island. His main concern was the cost of the cabin on the boat, I think it was £70 one way. Plus the £180 pound for the car and passenger. He also went to pains to point out she was able to visit the island under compassionate grounds. She would be retuning to Switzerland at the end of the week. It turns out he and his wife seem to be whilst aged  were not at deaths door or close to it. It just looks like oh I have a couple of weeks off I'll nip over to the island for a week. Now after seeing local people unable to go to close relatives funerals, and people who have not seen there parents in weeks or months. How is this allowed under compassionate grounds. Who is making these decisions, am I missing something. Surprise Surprise the Daughter pops up on Fridays Mannin line stating she did no wrong and proceeded to fill us in on travel itinerary. Left Zurich and drove down to Zeebrugge with her four legged friend  had a test (I assume it was clear as this was not stated) Boarded ferry across to Hull. From Hull proceeded up to Hersham, And then ferry to island. Stayed in isolation in apartment and Exercised in garden with my dog and then to my parents house. Now did not know how long she has been on the island but it seam's she will be returning to Switzerland on Sunday. Just a couple of things, she did not once state how long isolation was, and no mention of test swabs on the Island. I still do not understand why we are allowing people to come to the island under lock down, and if we find these unknown cases are being driven by people visiting I suppose it will be nobody's fault.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Nothing to do with Covid, but let's see in five years time. Already, the GBP/EUR and GBP/USD exchange rates have improved. FTSE is steady and UK inward investment is looking strong, even with the Covid issue.  

Yes, I believe the UK will fly. Other EU countries will follow in exit quite quickly, once they realise how limiting the EU stranglehold is. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Caught a slim slice of Andy De Wint at lunch time on Thursday and a contributor going on about his daughters mad dash from Switzerland to the island. His main concern was the cost of the cabin on the boat, I think it was £70 one way. Plus the £180 pound for the car and passenger. He also went to pains to point out she was able to visit the island under compassionate grounds. She would be retuning to Switzerland at the end of the week. It turns out he and his wife seem to be whilst aged  were not at deaths door or close to it. It just looks like oh I have a couple of weeks off I'll nip over to the island for a week. Now after seeing local people unable to go to close relatives funerals, and people who have not seen there parents in weeks or months. How is this allowed under compassionate grounds. Who is making these decisions, am I missing something. Surprise Surprise the Daughter pops up on Fridays Mannin line stating she did no wrong and proceeded to fill us in on travel itinerary. Left Zurich and drove down to Zeebrugge with her four legged friend  had a test (I assume it was clear as this was not stated) Boarded ferry across to Hull. From Hull proceeded up to Hersham, And then ferry to island. Stayed in isolation in apartment and Exercised in garden with my dog and then to my parents house. Now did not know how long she has been on the island but it seam's she will be returning to Switzerland on Sunday. Just a couple of things, she did not once state how long isolation was, and no mention of test swabs on the Island. I still do not understand why we are allowing people to come to the island under lock down, and if we find these unknown cases are being driven by people visiting I suppose it will be nobody's fault.

Borders open for residents, compassionate & contract ie new job, house etc, you have 3 tests 1,7&13 and if negative you’re free. The original index case was steam packet workers so not related to visitors 

50 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Nothing to do with Covid, but let's see in five years time. Already, the GBP/EUR and GBP/USD exchange rates have improved. FTSE is steady and UK inward investment is looking strong, even with the Covid issue.  

Yes, I believe the UK will fly. Other EU countries will follow in exit quite quickly, once they realise how limiting the EU stranglehold is. 

According to Rees-Mogg you will see the benefits of Brexit in 50 years time.

Looks like he's not the only one hedging his bets....

I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expat. said:

Nope. Nothing to do with 'the EU dictatorship'. Most of the AZ vaccine used in the UK is manufactured in India. Turns out they need it themselves. There's no doubt that the 'EU dictatorship' have made a total horse's arse of their vaccine procurement, but that's compounded by Astra Zeneca not supplying what they were contracted to supply. 

Not so, only 10 million doses of AZ vaccine (out of a total of 100million doses) were ordered from India.

The problem for the EU is that there own citizens are getting understandably angry about the slow roll out, and the EU leadership need a way of diverting attention from that, hence they are giving the impression that their failures are somehow down to the UKs actions, without actually coming out and saying that. No doubt they are also worried about the rise in EU scepticism that the vaccine debacle might cause.

The crazy thing about their position is that they are criticising AZ for not exporting any vaccine produced in the UK to EU countries, but they haven't used the stocks of vaccine that AZ has supplied to them, largely because, for whatever reason, many European leaders have systematically set about undermining public confidence in it. That being the case, why would they want more? The answer is they don't, but they want a reason to stop Pfizer fulfilling its contract with the UK so that they can keep more of that for themselves, and the AZ vaccine situation is their excuse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1