IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Stupid question, but is there a possibility that the vaccine will actually accelerate mutations? 

Sounds a stupid question to me! Wht would you think this. It's only valid if you are a conspiracy theorist and you believe there is a group of nasty scientists creating variants to destroy the global economy.........maybe not impossible:unsure:

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sounds a stupid question to me! Wht would you think this. It's only valid if you are a conspiracy theorist and you believe there is a group of nasty scientists creating variants to destroy the global economy.........maybe not impossible:unsure:

But, you don't have an answer.  It isn't a conspiracist question; we know the virus mutates to continue replicating - does the vaccine increase mutation, decrease it or have no effect at all.  Reasonable question, I would have thought.  

BTW,I have had my first jab. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But, you don't have an answer.  It isn't a conspiracist question; we know the virus mutates to continue replicating - does the vaccine increase mutation, decrease it or have no effect at all.  Reasonable question, I would have thought.  

The virus doesnt have a brain and doesnt study the vaccine roll out figures and statistics so think about it. The virus doesnt understand vaccination programmes so cant mutate to outpace them.

It mutates in a form of accelerated evolution in the way all viruses do. 

It's TRUE the virus may evade the vaccination process but it' cant be accelerated by it. 

Have you looked at the Dr  Chris Smith you tube videos from the BBC. He explains thing brilliantly. No patronising but in layman's terms. He is a professor of virology so he knows his stuff too

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The virus doesn't mutate in order to replicate, it is trying to replicate itself perfectly, but mutations occur by chance during that process. Some of those mutations may make the virus more effective (like the Kent variant) but most will have no effect, or will make the virus less effective. The more effective mutations become a dominant strain due to the fact that they are more effective.

If a strain were to emerge that made the virus less affected by the immunity created by vaccination (e.g. Brazil or SA), it would have an advantage over other strains that were better controlled by that immunity. Hence the possible need for boosters that have been tweaked to take account of new variants.

However, vaccinating people doesn't mean that such a mutation is more likely to emerge. Theoretically, if vaccination reduces transmission, and therefore the number of replications, the chances of such a mutation emerging should be reduced. But it is all theoretical at the moment

• Like 1

Here’s description of Douglas for cruise, obviously expecting promenade to be finished by July 😂

26th Jul 2021
Douglas, Isle of Man (more information)
Douglas is the capital town of the Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea. It’s home to the Manx Museum, featuring displays of Viking gold. From here, the Story of Mann trail tours the island’s ancient sites. The restored Villa Marina–Gaiety Theatre complex features a grand Edwardian concert hall. Horse-drawn trams ply the promenade on Douglas Bay. South, the Great Union Camera Obscura uses mirrors to provide panoramic views.
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Here’s description of Douglas for cruise, obviously expecting promenade to be finished by July 😂

26th Jul 2021
Douglas, Isle of Man (more information)
Douglas is the capital town of the Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea. It’s home to the Manx Museum, featuring displays of Viking gold. From here, the Story of Mann trail tours the island’s ancient sites. The restored Villa Marina–Gaiety Theatre complex features a grand Edwardian concert hall. Horse-drawn trams ply the promenade on Douglas Bay. South, the Great Union Camera Obscura uses mirrors to provide panoramic views.

Just imagine getting off the ‘Tradewinds’ cruise liner & being faced with Western Europe’s version of Aleppo ...

... and a water wheel that doesn’t turn.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Given the thread title is: IOM Covid removing restrictions

Any guesses when IOM residents will be able to travel without having to do isolation upon return?

Seems very unnecessary if so many people in the UK and on island have been vaccinated.

Whenever Ashford's asked this question the response is all about the vaccine not being 100% effective against preventing transmission and doesn't stop you getting ill. 

Well, we know that and it's doesn't answer the question.  I'm broadly in favour of the measures up to now but we really do need to start opening up. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snowman said:

Any guesses when IOM residents will be able to travel without having to do isolation upon return?

Seems very unnecessary if so many people in the UK and on island have been vaccinated.

Whenever Ashford's asked this question the response is all about the vaccine not being 100% effective against preventing transmission and doesn't stop you getting ill. 

Well, we know that and it's doesn't answer the question.  I'm broadly in favour of the measures up to now but we really do need to start opening up. 

We’ve been asking this question for months mate.

The flakes are driving the agenda.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snowman said:

It's an interesting question.

It's also a bit catch 22.  Airlines are not going to return unless they can fill planes.

People are unlikely to travel in sufficient numbers (be that for business or pleasure) with restrictions in place.  With restrictions in place there simply isn't the volume to have proper travel options.

The government need to provide certainty on this.  To allow airlines and people to make plans.

Personally, I'd prefer them to set a date of the 30th June.

Life is going to need to go on.  

• Like 1