IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I didn't think I would need to spell that out.... otherwise what would be the point in vaccinating people?

Of course it would mean unrestricted travel after the "selected population" (16+) has been vaccinated.

We're all in danger of being scared of our own shadow otherwise.

According to Prof Woolhouse on Marr, even with vaccinations generating herd immunity, future international travel will mean lots of testing and quarantines etc. Possibly for a long time. My subtext: possibly forever...

Plus for various reasons lots of folks won't be vaccinated. So the new normal must have an effective track, trace and isolate system to deal with the inevitable outbreaks. As yet not something the UK actually has. Quite ironic considering the UK "world-beating" TT&I was supposed to be so good it would replace lockdowns. It was named the "NHS TT&I" system even though it was outsourced to Serco who then had billions thrown at them to produce something that didn't work very well. The NHS label was added simply because folks don't like criticising the NHS for obvious reasons. Strange but true the Chairman of Serco is a tory donor.

For all the "most folks don"t get ill" brigade the prof pointed out that a small percentage of an awful lot is still an awful lot.

Prof Woolhouse is considered to be one of the more optimistic members of SAGE and my personal impression was he was giving a very candid outlook of the future. Bit of a rarity these days....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

What?

That makes very little sense to me. I'm saying that doing what you're saying is asking for trouble, but if you just 'hold the line' a bit longer, get more protection into society then you can do it. The UK has battered out its vaccines, good, batter out some more.

The protection is already with the people that need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

Another good day on the stats. 3 new cases, all linked, importantly just 8 now in hospital (1 ICU). 

Nice to see the figures coming down but deaths showing as 4 on dashboard? Was only 2 yesterday? haven’t seen any news to suggest their has been 2 new deaths?

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

I was looking at what someone sent me.  Although that appears inaccurate.  Govt sre saying two people have died.

I haven’t heard of any more than 2. Just a bit odd if the government have doubled that figure. Hope it’s a mistake 

7 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I haven’t heard of any more than 2. Just a bit odd if the government have doubled that figure. Hope it’s a mistake 

An additional 2 ...

Two patients at Noble’s Hospital have died from COVID-19.

It takes the total number of people who have lost their lives while suffering from the virus on the Island to 29.

Chief Minister, Howard Quayle MHK, said: “My thoughts – and I am sure those of everyone across our Island – are with the families and loved ones at this most difficult of times.”

“We must do all we can to stamp out this virus. I would reiterate my plea for everyone to stay at home as much as possible to help save lives.”

Edited by daisy