IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, I don't think we need to know anything more than if the death is from or with Covid.  The gender, age, BMI or other health reasons are irrelevant.  It isn’t callous or nosey, the death has already been announced as being connected to covid,  but a clarification.  Nor can it be an identifier.

That doesn't lessen our condolences (which I send to the relatives and friends of the deceased, of course) but it does help to understand the context. That is something that a lot of us have been asking for months now. 

This time on this lockdown we were taken by surprise, and a lot more younger people were caught up....including someone I know who is not even 30 and ran a close one to near ventilator stage. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask age, there's a big difference to someone having had a full life and near the natural end of it to a young person barely starting out on theirs being taken out by this virus.

Many of us have kids and grandkids affected this time...and want to know the demographic impact we are dealing with here.

That's the real reason most people feel entitled to know this basic information.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Many of us have kids and grandkids affected this time...and want to know the demographic impact we are dealing with here.

How would knowing the age of the 4 people who have died on the Isle of Man during the current outbreak allow you to work out what the demographic impact of Covid is?

For argument sake, if they were all over 80, would it be valid to say that death from Covid only occurs in people over 80, and therefore younger people shouldn't be worried at all? If people really are trying to use the local data produced in that way, to decide how to behave, that is a strong argument for not providing them with the information.

Information about the demographic impact is already available at a national level from the ONS in the UK, and it needs to be at that level to make any sort of statistical sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

How would knowing the age of the 4 people who have died on the Isle of Man during the current outbreak allow you to work out what the demographic impact of Covid is?

For argument sake, if they were all over 80, would it be valid to say that death from Covid only occurs in people over 80, and therefore younger people shouldn't be worried at all? If people really are trying to use the local data produced in that way, to decide how to behave, that is a strong argument for not providing them with the information.

Information about the demographic impact is already available at a national level from the ONS in the UK, and it needs to be at that level to make any sort of statistical sense.

I’m unsure of the exact figures but if memory serves me well, only 350 - 400 deaths in the U.K. were attributed to individuals with no pre-existing or underlying health conditions (that being within a 28 day positive test).

That, in amongst the circa 125,000 deaths.

In regards ages of those who ‘we’ve’ sadly lost, Jersey’s numbers are a very good yardstick. Over 90% of their recorded deaths (69) were aged over 70.

Thankfully the U.K. has now achieved  herd immunity with over 30 million vaccinated and a further 10 million already been infected. They are rightly opening up as should we end of May.

BCEB557E-57C8-4795-8EE0-54E77EFC4525.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That's the real reason most people feel entitled to know this basic information.

I have re-read your post, and what you are saying is that people feel entitled to have the information in order that they can work out the demographic impact.

What I am saying is that the information produced locally will not help them work that out because the local numbers are not sufficient for a proper analysis of that. The information they want is already available at national level.

I agree there is a huge difference between someone in their 30's dying from Covid and someone in their 90's, but to say that the information is needed locally to work out the demographic impact doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I have re-read your post, and what you are saying is that people feel entitled to have the information in order that they can work out the demographic impact.

What I am saying is that the information produced locally will not help them work that out because the local numbers are not sufficient for a proper analysis of that. The information they want is already available at national level.

I agree there is a huge difference between someone in their 30's dying from Covid and someone in their 90's, but to say that the information is needed locally to work out the demographic impact doesn't make sense to me.

This is not a statistical argument, it's simply about people who have kids or grandkids knowing what age groups are currently affected - given numerous young people aged 0 - 30 have been hospitalised this time.

When you have your own kids and grandkids, you'll understand the post.

19 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’m unsure of the exact figures but if memory serves me well, only 350 - 400 deaths in the U.K. were attributed to individuals with no pre-existing or underlying health conditions (that being within a 28 day positive test).

That, in amongst the circa 125,000 deaths.

In regards ages of those who ‘we’ve’ sadly lost, Jersey’s numbers are a very good yardstick. Over 90% of their recorded deaths (69) were aged over 70.

Thankfully the U.K. has now achieved  herd immunity with over 30 million vaccinated and a further 10 million already been infected. They are rightly opening up as should we end of May.

BCEB557E-57C8-4795-8EE0-54E77EFC4525.jpeg

The latest ONS figures for Covid deaths by age are for the week ending 12th March. There were 1,501 deaths that week of which 180 were in people aged under 60.

As to pre-existing health conditions, the data from the ONS from March-June 2020 showed that there were around 46,000 Covid deaths in England & wales in that time, of which 4476 didn't have any underlying health conditions, so I am not sure where you are getting the figure of 350-400 in total from. Do you have a link to that data?

Edited by Newbie
typo

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

The latest ONS figures for Covid deaths by age are for the week ending 12th March. There were 1,501 deaths that week of which 180 were in people aged under 60.

As to pre-existing health conditions, the data from the ONS form March-June 2020 showed that there were around 46,000 Covid deaths in England & wales in that time, of which 4476 didn't have any underlying health conditions, so I am not sure where you are getting the figure of 350-400 in total from. Do you have a link to that data?

I think it’s the intersection - i.e. only a few hundred out of 125000 were both under 60 and without pre-existing health conditions. Or something like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This is not a statistical argument, it's simply about people who have kids or grandkids knowing what age groups are currently affected - given numerous young people aged 0 - 30 have been hospitalised this time.

When you have your own kids and grandkids, you'll understand the post.

OK I can understand that. The information of who is being affected by age/sex is available on the government dashboard

15 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think it’s the intersection - i.e. only a few hundred out of 125000 were both under 60 and without pre-existing health conditions. Or something like that.

Thanks. I haven't seen the data produced in that way, but I guess it depends what they classify as a pre-existing condition in order to work out the significance of it. 

There was some age-standardised mortality-rate data produced by the ONS between Jan and Nov 2020 that showed around 5% of Covid deaths occurred in people who self reported that they did not have any disability, but I am not sure how robust the data is

16 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Do you have a link to that data?

I can’t find it currently but here’s a piece relevant to Ireland from Jan this year.

Makes interesting reading in regards the shear number of people who were carrying underlying health conditions & the ages of those who sadly succumbed.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-majority-of-fatalities-had-underlying-conditions-1.4471443%3fmode=amp

Thankfully we are well down the road of vaccinations & all high risk groups on the Island are jabbed. 

The narrative of fear can start to shift quickly now & we can get back on with living.