IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I am sure that this has been commented on before but I am amazed by the amount of people wearing masks outdoors, on their own, in a gale. Quite bizarre, but hey ho, live and let live, just a little strange, and par for the course in a strange year.

Its the people in cars by themselves I cant get my head round

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Wearing a mask in wind is better than not, they keep you warm. Wearing one in a car saves struggling to find one when you get out and realise its in your other coat pocket etc. 

Not everyone wearing a mask is a covid sheep and every maskless person isn't a covidiot either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

The narrative of fear can start to shift quickly now & we can get back on with living.

I tend to agree about the narrative but I think we all realise things will not be the same.

The drive now for data to underpin both freedoms and restrictions will leap ahead - the signs are there already with vaccine certificates and passports etc. How far this goes will depend on national / global take up, but no doubt some will be excluded for different reasons. I hope that does not happen on the island.

Pandemics don't suddenly stop. They apparently fizzle out and then there are sporadic eruptions and clusters which can then be dealt with accordingly. Merging vaccinations with boosters for other related health vaccines may become the norm or even oral administration.

The positive impacts maybe have yet to be fully appreciated and ascertained but the impact on relationships and good mental health will be at the forefront of those surely. The diminution of unnatural and exacerbated fear and anxiety from children and older people would be an ideal start, with suitable emphasis on the quality of life for both and the wider public   being recognised more widely.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Judging by the two hour wait on my 'Ultimate Burger' from Neo's on Saturday, it won't be the former ;0)

Those grease riddled little fries they do on the side are the schizzle btw. 

Well at least when you die of Covid, we can all blame it on the unhealthy food you eat rather than the actual disease.

• Like 4

I think with the masks - some of it is its just easier to have the mask on in case you meet someone  on a narrow bit.  Also it's quite warm at the moment. 

In the cars, they tell you not to fiddle with the masks too much, so if I'm picking somethign up for shielding in laws I might leave the mask on in the car and then still have it on when I ring the door bell. 

or its just virtue signalling. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

One guy said taking his mask off always pulled his hearing aids out so it was easier to leave his mask on until for the whole time he was out. 

Seems reasonable 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

And "Herd immunity is only relevant if we have a transmission-blocking vaccine." 

Not quite true though because antibodies are created naturally as well. See the latest data set on antibody prevalence produced by ONS Some younger members of the population (16 - 24) manage natural immunity at around 1 in 3.

32 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I am sure that this has been commented on before but I am amazed by the amount of people wearing masks outdoors, on their own, in a gale. Quite bizarre, but hey ho, live and let live, just a little strange, and par for the course in a strange year.

You missed "in their car".

There is a perfect logic to all this. Bear in mind one should only be outside of their home - their safe place - for essentail reasons only.

So, once you leave you home, the safe place, and don your mask, you are going into a potentially contaminated place. And so everything you touch is potentially contaminated. Don't touch your face. Don't touch your mask. 

Come home - wash your hands. Take off and isolate your your mask. Wash your hands.

Smug people who have a go at people who are doing the right thing are, smug people. And make their own contribution to the situation we find ourselves in.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You missed "in their car".

There is a perfect logic to all this. Bear in mind one should only be outside of their home - their safe place - for essentail reasons only.

So, once you leave you home, the safe place, and don your mask, you are going into a potentially contaminated place. And so everything you touch is potentially contaminated. Don't touch your face. Don't touch your mask. 

Come home - wash your hands. Take off and isolate your your mask. Wash your hands.

Smug people who have a go at people who are doing the right thing are, smug people. And make their own contribution to the situation we find ourselves in.

Fair points re. warmth and touching., makes sense. Personally I find them uncomfortable over a long period, but as I said live and let live. I will ignore the personal insult 😘

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Overwhelming evidence that an efficient vaccination rollout programme coupled with tight restrictions can beat this thing.

The EU have made a monumental hash of it all in terms of vaccine procurement & delivery.

Brexit saved lives. Now who thought that would have been a headline!

90D8B441-A494-401D-ABAB-F31C8C3AFD19.jpeg

Chile have done more vaccinations per head. And just gone back into lockdown. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

I'm not smug far from it. Just amazed at how people will wear masks when by themselves yet as soon as Howard decides to stop the lockdown you probably wont see anyone wearing a mask. 

Well as I see it, there is a well-intentioned logic to it. 

I know a couple who when out walking stay 2 metres apart. There may be other reasons for that though.

The Isle of Man Government should have given clear instructions about wearing masks. The whole science behind it is contested and no one wants to give an instruction. Dr Allinson MHK (you know, an actual Doctor) couldn't help his ego by somewhat disparaging the use of masks at the start of all this. He went with the cool guys but even they were shown to be wrong by overwhelming world opinion.

Even Boris and Trump - hospital handshakers at the start of all this - ended up wearing masks.

But aye, walking up North Barrule on your tod in a gale and wearing a mask is a bit bizarre but that is hardly an essential trip.

A fourth cruise line had announced its starting cruises around UK with new £800m , 6400 passengers ship. No tests required if vaccinated so obviously confident that once vaccinated you’re safe and protocols cleared by UK health. These ships are not designed with elderly market in mind

SUMMER 2021: MSC CRUISES’ FLAGSHIP MSC VIRTUOSA TO PERFORM HER MAIDEN VOYAGE AROUND THE BRITISH ISLES GIVING BRITISH GUESTS AND THEIR FAMILIES AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A MUCH DESERVED AND ALL-INCLUSIVE SAFE AND MEMORABLE HOLIDAY