IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

It's all moving in the right direction for sure. I'm more than happy to stick with the current plan. I'd much rather uneccesarily delay opening up by a few weeks than have several months of purgatory trying to undo the damage caused by a bit of impatience.

Aren't the UK actually in a better (or certainly no worse) position than the Isle of Man?

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, unfortunately a mature population is hard to achieve.  However, the back benchers should set the tone when admissions are made - "thank you for your clarity and explanation, whilst it is disappointing that x happened, it is reassuring to receive the Minister's explanation and to understand the measures taken to prevent a recurrence. "

Most of the public lack of confidence is more likely due to not seeing honesty and maturity in all of the arms of government.  

After all, Tynwald is supposed to be a representation of the populace.  If Tynwald, its entirety, behaves maturely,  then the rest of us may respond maturely too. 

I don't actually think that Tynwald and especially the backbenchers have responded badly on the whole.  Criticism has been perhaps too respectful and polite if anything, but it has been generally well-intentioned and quite well-informed. 

And it has been pretty much ineffective because the system is set up to ignore democratic pressure and to protect the Executive, nominally CoMin and especially the CM in practice those in the upper reaches of the civil service.  Even direct instructions of Tynwald have simply been ignored if inconvenient and enough Tynwald members (if not a majority) have been happy enough to go along with things for t a quiet life and the perks of office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I wonder what the reasons for these figures are. 

Could it be that...

1) Many of the elder folk perished earlier than their time due to Covid?

2) Annual winter influenza deaths are being greatly reduced by the measures in place to control Covid?

I would hazard a guess though, that if the current lockdown measures had been delayed or released earlier, those figures would not make such good reading. 

One could argue that they are not an indicator that the restrictions should be eased more rapidly, but that they work and we should be careful 'taking our boot of the throat of the beast,' as BoJo put it.

Annual figures will be high this last year and probably next, followed, maybe, by a couple of years below average. 

I wonder if the average over a rolling 5 year period will be much different to previous 5 year periods?

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm talking about us aligning with the UK reopening plan, not Quayle's September lunacy. Jesus.

I agree with you. I feel fairly certain that there will come a point, when all of the vulnerable categories have had both jabs, that we will become aligned with the UK. That will likely be early July. The only thing I could see throwing throwing spanner in the works is if there is a major outbreak of a variant that evades the vaccines to some degree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

I agree with you. I feel fairly certain that there will come a point, when all of the vulnerable categories have had both jabs, that we will become aligned with the UK. That will likely be early July. The only thing I could see throwing throwing spanner in the works is if there is a major outbreak of a variant that evades the vaccines to some degree.

From a borders perspective the UK has lower infection rates and less people.per head of population in hospital.  Im not entirely sure the "risk" is really going to get any lower between now and September.  Covid isn't suddenly going to completely disappear.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

The irony of the variant story is that it's the UK (Kent) version that's causing all the issues on the continent right now.

The EU must absolutely hate us. 'Stealing' all the vaccines and now reopening!

Edited by Nom de plume

22 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Aren't the UK actually in a better (or certainly no worse) position than the Isle of Man?

It's probably difficult to compare when each jurisdiction has a different strategy at the moment, mitigation vs elimination.

Edited by madmanxpilot

40 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Dropping like a stone.

June 1st looking more like a realistic border reopening date.

If the borders don't open in June they never will. Shutting the borders was all about protecting the health service, and the whole 60 million population are getting around 60 deaths with covid per day. That equates to just over 2 per month on the IOM.

No excuse to not relax the borders

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Annual figures will be high this last year and probably next, followed, maybe, by a couple of years below average. 

I wonder if the average over a rolling 5 year period will be much different to previous 5 year periods?

I'd expect there will be a difference. Of course, the longer the period of comparison, the smaller that would become, eventually falling to zero.

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The irony of the variant story is that it's the UK (Kent) version that's causing all the issues on the continent right now.

Kent.... the first place trucks pass through after rolling off the ferry. If the EU bothered to do genomic testing then we'd probably find that it originated somewhere in eastern Europe. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

An awful lot of Europe hasn't been in lockdown over winter either- it was only a week or so ago that Macron ducked for cover. 

They're about to pay a big price for that liberty and shambolic vaccine rollout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Fair enough. There is still much in this I can’t agree with. For example I don’t believe the Great Manx Public has been treated with disdain. I think they have been kept well informed, or as well informed as could be.But we shall agree to differ

(By the way I wasn’t accusing you of mentioning physical attributes but there are many on here who do which unfortunately tends to taint any well articulated criticism)

I take it you are viewing a life in comedy with that post

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, winnie said:

If the borders don't open in June they never will. Shutting the borders was all about protecting the health service, and the whole 60 million population are getting around 60 deaths with covid per day. That equates to just over 2 per month on the IOM.

No excuse to not relax the borders

Agree to 1,000.000%

If they do decide to keep the borders closed whilst the UK is fully reopened on 21st June, they are going to have to come up with some serious data and justification for doing so. Not just 'Manx solutions for Manx problems or Gold Standard' bollocks. They'll need to prove to the Manx public that the measures are commensurate with risk. 

• Like 1