IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

How does test on arrival confirm you are not carrying? You could pass it on on day 4/5. Test on arrival quarantine 7 days with another test would be more secure. For a family of 4 this would be 8 tests at £xx at time. Who pays?

Free in Guernsey , Jersey, Germany etc probably charge in Iom to cover excess public sector costs!

9 hours ago, Banker said:

But you said there was hardly any tourists in France or Jersey so shouldn't be any problem for them getting home!! As usual you posted incorrect information whereas I just stated facts of numbers there.

Oh, I am sorry. I made up that, at this time of year, there are normally millions of uk tourists in France, where this year there are only a few hundred thousand. 

I am sorry that I was correct that they, like many more to come, and screwed, because I was also correct about the sudden black list, closures, changes, what ever you want to call them. 

Banker. So far, IOM gov has done a very good job. If Jersey had done the same, they would have many times the tourist just from here and Guernsey. 

16 hours ago, Banker said:

Just had a cancellation from Easyjet for 20/09 to gatwick, the lack of any IOM plans means Easyjet are going to utilse fleet for places like Jersey.

whilst loss making Guernsey at least have Aurigny for flights to London etc, whereas IOM will have nothing except Loganair to Liverpool & Manchester with LCY route 

Let us just hope EasyJet stick around!

Edited by Nom de plume

8 hours ago, Cambon said:

Oh, I am sorry. I made up that, at this time of year, there are normally millions of uk tourists in France, where this year there are only a few hundred thousand. 

I am sorry that I was correct that they, like many more to come, and screwed, because I was also correct about the sudden black list, closures, changes, what ever you want to call them. 

Banker. So far, IOM gov has done a very good job. If Jersey had done the same, they would have many times the tourist just from here and Guernsey. 

Jersey already have many times the tourists we & Guernsey have, 7000 last week compared to our & Guernsey c 300 per week!!

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Jersey already have many times the tourists we & Guernsey have, 7000 last week compared to our & Guernsey c 300 per week!!

You’ll still find that more tourists will go to Jersey this year at the height of a global pandemic when travel restrictions apply than what we got here last year. 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:35 AM, Southfork said:

A total of 28,786 tests were processed up to Tuesday, and there are now 11 known active cases. Presumably all known cases tracked, isolated, and presenting no actual risk to the island. That’s got to be the way to go. 

On 8/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, Banker said:

It is the way to go and they seem to have a very effective process in place whereas IOM don't even have a plan other than we will consider copying our mates Guernsey at end of August!!

On 8/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Banker said:

I doubt they are worried by those few cases with majority coming from arrivals

in fact everyone impressed at how efficient testing is, 4500 arrivals over weekend, something our battered industry can only dream about!!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/08/12/covid-testing-stands-up-to-more-arrivals/

Unfortunately, testing is no silver bullet. Covid-19 testing is not entirely accurate, one must factor in false positives and negatives. When infection prevalence in the community is very low, as the kind of prevalence rates the UK appears to be heading to, if you have a positive test you are more likely not to be infected than to be. Less than 30% probability to actually have the infection, with current infection prevalence and testing accuracy in the UK (our incoming travellers would mostly be coming from the UK).

In June the Government Office for Science estimated that the false positive rate may be 2.3%, suggesting that only 97.7% of negative cases would be spotted. A recent BMJ review concluded that accuracy is worse than that: a 5% false positive rate.

With current infection prevalence and testing accuracy in the UK, we would miss 20% of the positive cases. Furthermore, we would pick up more false positives than those who actually have the infection. The probability of an individual with a positive test actually being infected would be around 28.5%. Most people turning up “positive” and told to "self-isolate" would actually have nothing that looks like Covid-19.

My opinion is that to ramp up testing in the IOM can only be useful in the short term for the purpose of reducing the quarantine days of incoming travellers. One needs to be aware of its limitations though.

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you’ve got your own plane you can fly to Guernsey & back no problem. Assume you can also go to UK etc from Guernsey and then do 7 days isolation and back to Iom!

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/private-planes-allowed-to-guernsey/

No you can't.  Because after receipt of a negative test (probably on day 8 or 9 in any case) you still have follow a regime of 'passive follow up' (not go to hospitals and nursing homes, keep a record of who you meet and so on).  You can't even travel to Alderney in the remainder of the 14 days, never mind anywhere further.

What this actually represents is a tacit admission of another cock-up by the authorities.  When the air corridor was opened up, it obviously should have included all forms of air transport.  They simply forgot to include private planes (didn't someone say on another thread that someone had been turned away from Ronaldsway?).  Presumably Guernsey sorted it out and we forgot.