IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

31 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I wonder what the reasons for [this week's lower than average ONS figures for deaths registered] are. 

Could it be that...

1) Many of the elder folk perished earlier than their time due to Covid?

2) Annual winter influenza deaths are being greatly reduced by the measures in place to control Covid?

Mostly the second as far as I can see.  I pointed out last year to the way that the deaths in care homes in the Spring hadn't been balanced by a corresponding drop over the Summer, so it wasn't caused by people dying a few months earlier than they should have.  Interestingly the deaths this Winter weren't anything like as concentrated in care homes (even though the overall numbers were higher.  Some of this may be because of fewer vulnerable residents due to last year, but I think it's mostly down to homes and the health service in general coping better, particularly with things such as the level of PPE.

In the latest ONS report it's clear that the drop below average (which isn't that great and is only for the last two weeks reported:

image.png.f4cf37f167e90088ecd1876af6e95532.png

is reflected in a drop below average in deaths involving influenza and pneumonia:

image.png.7864fd8198d0c6866ef7ee6d6d451da2.png

So that looks likely to be a big part of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

My mate has had covid.  I just checked with him.  He said he is still knocking one out with no issues at all.  Small (literally) sample size I'll grant you.

When you say 'small sample size', are you are referring to the number of people in your survey or another potential effect of Covid?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Good news from UK that deaths are below 5 year average again 

Provisionally, 10,311 deaths were registered in England and Wales in the week ending 19 March 2021 (Week 11). This was

676 fewer than Week 10

894 fewer than the five-year average for Week 11

That is great three months hard lockdown has finally cracked it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

That is great three months hard lockdown has finally cracked it.

Plus the massive vaccinations roll out, Italy has been in either full or partial lockdown for months, schools shut etc but cases still going up , difference slow vaccinations roll out

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Plus the massive vaccinations roll out, Italy has been in either full or partial lockdown for months, schools shut etc but cases still going up , difference slow vaccinations roll out

7% of UK adults have been fully vaccinated. Just under 57% of uk adults have been partly vaccinated and most of those are still building up protection. For the past three months, those elderly and vulnerable who were told to shield during lock down one were told to shield again. That shielding order is lifted from midnight tomorrow.

Vaccination will have had a small effect on reducing the figures, but it is three months lockdown that has brought the figures down.

We will only see what effect of vaccinations will have as restrictions ease.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what our great tourism department are doing these days - ready to get people here when the borders open?

I’m sure I can fully detail in the following paragraphs below - 

Edited by x-in-man
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

7% of UK adults have been fully vaccinated. Just under 57% of uk adults have been partly vaccinated and most of those are still building up protection. For the past three months, those elderly and vulnerable who were told to shield during lock down one were told to shield again. That shielding order is lifted from midnight tomorrow.

Vaccination will have had a small effect on reducing the figures, but it is three months lockdown that has brought the figures down.

We will only see what effect of vaccinations will have as restrictions ease.

Please stop talking negative bollocks, it’s been widely reported that you have a lot of protection within a few weeks of first doses, as Italy & others roll out vaccine the cases will fall like the UKhttps://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-study-finds-strong-immune-response-following-covid-19-vaccination

Edited by Banker

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

Please stop talking negative bollocks, it’s been widely reported that you have a lot of protection within a few weeks of first doses, as Italy & others roll out vaccine the cases will fall like the UKhttps://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-study-finds-strong-immune-response-following-covid-19-vaccination

I think you might be missing the point a little.

There is no doubt that vaccines are beginning to have an impact, and that many folk are alive today because they have that protection. 

The ONS data you linked refers to excess deaths. Now, just think about this next sentence with an open mind.....If the vaccines had stopped all deaths by Covid and everything else had stayed equal, then the number of deaths this year should be the same as any year, not less.

So, the question before us is why are there less deaths at the moment than the five year average. It can't be due to vaccines for Covid.

The likely reasons are that some of the vulnerable have died already, or that the measures in force to restrict the spread of Covid are having a secondary effect of preventing deaths from other things such as the flu. 

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Agree to 1,000.000%

If they do decide to keep the borders closed whilst the UK is fully reopened on 21st June, they are going to have to come up with some serious data and justification for doing so. Not just 'Manx solutions for Manx problems or Gold Standard' bollocks. They'll need to prove to the Manx public that the measures are commensurate with risk. 

Yes, and if they don't do something along these lines,  they might as well come out and be honest - no TT, gatherings, festivals, MGP, S100 etc ever again,  because "what about the new variants" and all that bollocks which is being used to keep people scared of opening up.   

• Like 3