IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

I was very impressed with Dr Glover today bearing in mind AG's office have been involved along the way but that didnt bother her. Racheal put her case forward , it seemed honest and heartfelt and also clear she cares about our Island and the health of residents . Fair play to the lady. But again the one thing that came through to me  is the crooked AG's office and how defensive and protective they are to ministers and departments regardless whether there in the wrong or not. Makes me wonder about all these other issues that go through that same office . 

Also for consideration what and how and by whom it is presented to the A/Gs

• Like 2

From the Gef review

Steve Doyle came to start negotiating about the role going back. He decided to say at one point – “You do realise if you don’t come back and do everything we want you to, we’ll put negative press out about you”

What is this? 

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

From the Gef review

What is this? 

From original post

Steve Doyle came to start negotiating about the role going back. He decided to say at one point – “You do realise if you don’t come back and do everything we want you to, we’ll put negative press out about you”

A person is guilty of blackmail if, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another - does that fit?

Edited by daisy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Declan said:

The whether she believes the letter exists is a dead end. Banging on about it achieves nothing.

So the possibility of an alleged deliberate deception by a minister or one of his team, and an overtly public attempt to discredit her role in this pandemic isn't worth "banging on about?"

The letter debacle is but a small part of that debate but an important episode in a bigger picture surrounding 'Glovergate' and the circumstances leading up to her departure. The farcical allegation in a letter (from the AG's office?) that Path Lab were unable to operate testing for a period because she'd repossessed the software she'd written for the "robot" saying she'd put lives at risk, and then contradicting that statement in the next paragraph of the same letter is ridiculous.

And of course, there's the circumstances surrounding the alleged pirating/copying of that software, before her very eyes, by a lab IT professional which if proven to be true would be a criminal act. She involved the Police, who then passed it on to OFT.

Defies logic... 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, quilp said:

The farcical allegation in a letter (from the AG's office?) that Path Lab were unable to operate testing for a period because she'd repossessed the software she'd written for the "robot" saying she'd put lives at risk, and then contradicting that statement in the next paragraph of the same letter os ridiculous.

And of course, there's the circumstances surrounding the alleged pirating/copying of that software, before her very eyes, by a lab IT professional which if proven to be true would be a criminal act. She involved the Police, who then passed it on to OFT.

Hearing that statement in her own voice was very different to reading the transcript, when I first heard about all this it honestly sounded like she packed up her toys and stormed off, it was far more complex than that, hearing the emotion in her voice was really quite powerful.

I’d like to have known a little bit more about this, how much was Dr Glover planning to charge for the use of her code/software? Did she just want the recognition that it was hers or did she want to hold them to ransom? hearing her talk today I think she just wanted the recognition that it belonged to her and was designed by her, but it does sound like she had them by the balls at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

So the possibility of an alleged deliberate deception by a minister or one of his team, and an overtly public attempt to discredit her role in this pandemic isn't worth "banging on about?"

No. Banging on about whether or not Rachel believes the letter's genuineness is not relevant.

• Like 1

There was also shenanigans about the supply of the reagents.

To be fair, and Dr Glover was open about this, if she was to do the genomic profiling it would be a great research project that would result in a paper.

But, imagine the treasure trove of information we would have very quickly and how we  could respond to new variants as they appear here, quickly and effectively. 

I have posted before a ridiculous scenario where a new variant emerged which is only treatable with blancmange.  Genomics would tell us who had this variant and allow tracing to show follow its progress and reveal missing links.  We could treat those affected with blancmange, rather than other ineffective treatments and so stifle it.  There may be another trait, such as it is mainly transmitted through sharing shoes, so you ban shoe sharing to slow transmission. 

It sounds outrageous, but Dr Glover pointed out that through genomics it had recently been found that ebola can lie dormant in people for many years.  This was shown when genomics established a recent outbreak of ebola was in fact just a resurfacing of the virus in an index case after 5 years; it had been lurking in their testes and so became a STD and the outbreak was treated as being transmitted in that way rather than through the previously accepted mode, which I think was blood components. 

Why wouldn’t you want that kind of perspective at a relatively low cost?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Hearing that statement in her own voice was very different to reading the transcript, when I first heard about all this it honestly sounded like she packed up her toys and stormed off, it was far more complex than that, hearing the emotion in her voice was really quite powerful.

I’d like to have known a little bit more about this, how much was Dr Glover planning to charge for the use of her code/software? Did she just want the recognition that it was hers or did she want to hold them to ransom? hearing her talk today I think she just wanted the recognition that it belonged to her and was designed by her, but it does sound like she had them by the balls at that point.

I suppose there was also an issue of dealing with liability which would have been covered in the licence.

Throughout her evidence, I heard two overriding requirements, recognition and limitation of liability.  At no point did she indicate that she was trying to financially exploit this, but she wanted her costs covered and to limit liability. Not a grasping or unreasonable position, and entirely consistent with a desire to help 

• Like 7