IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

300,000 people spending let us say, a conservative £100 each per day inclusive of transport, accommodation, food & drink is a rather substantial £30,000,000 out of the pot.

More worrying for me is a conversation I had at the weekend with a very senior medical person at Noble’s.

The advice that has been passed on to the Govt. from top level managers at the hospital is they are fully prepared for new cases & ready for borders to be opened in a structured, controlled way (ie Jersey). Two wards are lying empty & staff idle.

The apparent reason we aren’t which is the crux of the matter is political preservation! MHK’s terrified they’ll not be re-elected next year if we open.

It seems they are actually ignoring the medical experts to protect their own careers. If true, shocking behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The advice that has been passed on to the Govt. from top level managers at the hospital is they are fully prepared for new cases & ready for borders to be opened in a structured, controlled way (ie Jersey). Two wards are lying empty & staff idle.

The apparent reason we aren’t which is the crux of the matter is political preservation! MHK’s terrified they’ll not be re-elected next year if we open.

The irony of that is that they’re clearly happy to stand in an election to get a political role in an economy that’s going to be so badly fucked by then because of the things they refused to do now. But that’s ok as they have a job even if others don’t by then? As many have said right from the start they’re paralyzed with fear about how to react to the crazy brigade. It’s holding us all back. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The irony of that is that they’re clearly happy to stand in an election to get a political role in an economy that’s going to be so badly fucked by then because of the things they refused to do now. But that’s ok as they have a job even if others don’t by then? As many have said right from the start they’re paralyzed with fear about how to react to the crazy brigade. It’s holding us all back. 

That my friend, is exactly it in a nutshell.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

That my friend, is exactly it in a nutshell.

I’m really starting to have had enough of this situation now. It’s like the whole world has lost its head. This was only ever about managing NHS resources. When did it morph into nobody ever catching C-19 ever and a deliberate campaign to slowly kill millions more people by stealth and widespread economic destruction? The crazy brigade have won. I hope they’ll enjoy living on benefits in the damaged world they’ve created. But exactly like Brexit sadly a lot of the fundamentalists driving the agenda don’t live in the real economy - they’re largely retired or soap dodgers. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m really starting to have had enough of this situation now. It’s like the whole world has lost its head. This was only ever about managing NHS resources. When did it morph into nobody ever catching C-19 ever and a deliberate campaign to slowly kill millions more people by stealth and widespread economic destruction? The crazy brigade have won. I hope they’ll enjoy living on benefits in the damaged world they’ve created. But exactly like Brexit sadly a lot of people driving the agenda don’t live in the real economy - they’re largely retired or soap dodgers. 

I agree with your sentiments, as I am also frustrated with watching the slow motion car crash that is unfolding due to the politicisation of the situation, the continued  fear being peddled by the media and frankly the mission creep that has led to the goal of flattening the curve becoming total elimination of the virus. Until the media decides to change direction and set a new agenda we will just have to suck it up I am afraid. Enjoy the fact that we can live in a semblance of normality and let this thing run its course. The pendulum will swing and people will realise that the cure is indeed going to be much worse than the disease, but we are not there yet. 

6 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I am not convinced anyone has a real plan anymore, we just react to events

IOM has no plan Jersey & Guernsey have implemented their plans to open borders and economies so we will be even more isolated.

thought Skelly had a plan to attract great new businesses?