IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No doubt the DHSC response will be considered by the Manx Forums pitchfork mob as fairly and impartially as Dr Glovers pronouncements have been.

Let's see the response and see what their position is.  I said last night that there are always two sides to the story.  But we don't want weasel words and obfuscation.  How the accusations are responded to is critical if we want to have any doubts of the integrity and good governance in our government put aside.  They are our people, we are not theirs, to hijack a winning bingo line. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No doubt the DHSC response will be considered by the Manx Forums pitchfork mob as fairly and impartially as Dr Glovers pronouncements have been.

I doubt you've listened to a word of that broadcast. And if you did, you'll only hear what you want to hear. This pitchforkery you speak of, would you rather we all just shut up, bend over and unflinchingly accept another shafting from the well-lubed government strap-on? This is supposed to be a democracy where dissent and free-speech is constitutionally our right. You're obviously surprised that some of us are less supine and believe in scrutinising the machinations of those who're paid by us to work for us and to have our best interests at heart. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 17

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I do wonder if a few more people who have been on the receiving end of this kind of attitude will crawl out of the woodwork.  The kind of attitude reported by Dr Glover has to be institional, so there must be many more. 

I do hope so. 

54 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I know a person, a friend, who had a big problem with a department, they had sh1t on him despite a contract being in place and cost him a lot of time and money.

It went legal but ended up going no where because they were told that he would not get any more work.

That is the usual get out for the gov but in Dr Gs case she does not need their work.

I'm incredibly lucky to be in the financial position to not have to worry about how much my legal fees cost, nor worry about instructing those lawyers in the first place. 

25 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Is it so hard to believe that I might be an honest and genuine person who just wanted to help the COVID19 effort? 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

And there's this bone of contention. What the response will be is anyone's guess...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/scientist-accuses-dhsc-of-intellectual-property-theft/

Dr.Glover maintains she can prove her accusation. It was reported to local plod, who passed it on to that bastion of commercial muscle we know as the OFT. 

There we go, ultimately when you complain to the government about the government, you always run up against, the government!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I would have to go back to the PAC recording, but she said she was surprised at who was writing the policies without any input from the lab.  I don't think she wanted to write the policies but have input, which would surely be appropriate?

I would have thought that the appropriate person to input the laboratory views to a national testing strategy would be the Consultant heading up the team. If he felt that he needed specific input from others within the laboratory because of their particular expertise, i would expect him to speak to them and then feed that into the policy.

ETA: Don't get me wrong, I think that Dr Glover's evidence to the PAC raises very serious questions for the government, but on the point of input to a testing strategy, I don't think she could necessarily expect that. Would all of the scientists in the lab expect it? That isn't the way these things happen. Ever.

Edited by Newbie

10 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Is it so hard to believe that I might be an honest and genuine person who just wanted to help the COVID19 effort? 

I do believe you have acted with the best of motives. But it is the Government who have to make the decisions as to how to deal with this pandemic and it is they who will be judged.

OK, in the court of Manx Forums (which tends to attract the more cynical and anti government by nature) they have been judged and largely found wanting.
But in the wider court of Manx Public opinion ( one which I would suggest is more important) a very different verdict has been given . Of this there is no doubt. Anyone who suggests differently should take a straw poll in Strand Street, Parliament Street or any other street on the Island

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I would have thought that the appropriate person to input the laboratory views to a national testing strategy would be the Consultant heading up the team. If he felt that he needed specific input from others within the laboratory because of their particular expertise, i would expect him to speak to them and then feed that into the policy.

From memory the person named was not a medic.  Also one of her issues was that she was feeding reports and info up the chain, but it was not credited to her. She also said that there were times that the lab staff would listen to briefings and when they made a statement on testing would look at each other in disbelief as the "facts" were not correct or correctly portrayed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I do believe you have acted with the best of motives. But it is the Government who have to make the decisions as to how to deal with this pandemic and it is they who will be judged.

OK, in the court of Manx Forums (which tends to attract the more cynical and anti government by nature) they have been judged and largely found wanting.
But in the wider court of Manx Public opinion ( one which I would suggest is more important) a very different verdict has been given . Of this there is no doubt. Anyone who suggests differently should take a straw poll in Strand Street, Parliament Street or any other street on the Island

And that is the very reason government seems to lurch from one debacle to another, remaining unaccountable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Try Athol Street, Port St Mary

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Unfortunately about 95% of the general public are utterly clueless!