IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's correct and a good point. The whole lettergate was a misjudgement regardless of its intention.

If you were a generous sort, you might say Ashford read it to reassure the nation that we had staff adequately trained and skilled to carry out the testing.

But others might conclude that it was a childish attempt to discredit. 

The likelihood is, that there was letter. I cant imagine an outright lie. We may never know, but as we agree, that's not the point is it?

Indeed. Whatever the whys and wherefores about the existence or authenticity of a letter, reading it for that purpose was a bad misjudgement. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, piebaps said:

See also "racist" in the BLM thread which was used when anyone said All Lives Matter.

The term was used against those who would try to 'de-rail' the importance, at that time, of the World wide' attempt to focus attention on the BLM movement. That has evolved into a World Wide movement of Womens Safety matters, misogyny matters, womens safety at night matters.

\more recently, anti semitic remarks in the Ballacallin thread were called into question, banning those of little contribution whilst relying on an apology from those of more valuable contribution.

You would not agree with the above movements????

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

From finlo’s posting. “ 95%....” have an I’m alright Jack mentality “. They wouldn’t have that mentality if they didn’t feel alright.

Er no, if they could be arsed tuning away from radio two etc to something local and actually showed an interest in all things local you'd suddenly find a 95% with massive displeasure!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We’ll it has been suggested previously ( by you, if I’m not mistaken, forgive me if not) that I am either Howard Quayle or David Ashford.

One day you will get it right. But at this rate I think it will take quite some time 🙂

Existentially, Howard Quayle, David Ashford and Jacob Rees Mogg are of course the same person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

A few people on here seem to go for the man instead of the ball. I agree with some of what VoR says, the government get things right some of the time surely? 

They must do, of course, but to be honest in the Dr Glover situation, the only positive was that the lab got her on board in the first instance.  That was done in the most pragmatic and expeditious way by making her a bank employee.  That probably required minimum management input.  They also had to "fiddle" timesheets due to the number of hours she was working, again a pragmatic response in an emergency situation. 

From Dr Glover's viewpoint, it didn't seem a commercially attractive way of doing it, but there was an overriding need to get the job done. 

However, it would seem that when she wanted to feed info up the chain, there was some blockage somewhere in the hierarchy that prevented it getting to where she intended it should.  From there it all started to go wobbly.  Whether that was due to professional jealousy, slavish adherence to processes (designed, let's face it, for normal times not a response to a pandemic) or some other more fundamental issue, we don't know.  But we do know it looked petty and as though there was some hierarchical protectionism going on. 

My take on this is that, as has proved to be the case on countless occasions, the front line "doers" rise to the challenge.  Where it goes badly wrong is when it hits the desks higher up and I am not sure it is at political level but at those levels who have the ear of the politicians. 

So, yes, government does get some things right, but invariably it is through the efforts of the front line staff and management. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

A few people on here seem to go for the man instead of the ball. I agree with some of what VoR says, the government get things right some of the time surely? 

They do get things right some of the time. They get things wrong far too often though and usually to the tune of millions of (our) taxpayer's money. 

Also, +100 to what Gladys wrote while I was writing the above. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

They must do, of course, but to be honest in the Dr Glover situation, the only positive was that the lab got her on board in the first instance.  That was done in the most pragmatic and expeditious way by making her a bank employee.  That probably required minimum management input.  They also had to "fiddle" timesheets due to the number of hours she was working, again a pragmatic response in an emergency situation. 

From Dr Glover's viewpoint, it didn't seem a commercially attractive way of doing it, but there was an overriding need to get the job done. 

However, it would seem that when she wanted to feed info up the chain, there was some blockage somewhere in the hierarchy that prevented it getting to where she intended it should.  From there it all started to go wobbly.  Whether that was due to professional jealousy, slavish adherence to processes (designed, let's face it, for normal times not a response to a pandemic) or some other more fundamental issue, we don't know.  But we do know it looked petty and as though there was some hierarchical protectionism going on. 

My take on this is that, as has proved to be the case on countless occasions, the front line "doers" rise to the challenge.  Where it goes badly wrong is when it hits the desks higher up and I am not sure it is at political level but at those levels who have the ear of the politicians. 

So, yes, government does get some things right, but invariably it is through the efforts of the front line staff and management. 

I think you nailed it there Glad.

Imagine the CS in the DHSC, going about their daily business, routines set in stone, retirement plans laid out.

Along rocks up someone dynamic who even finds a machine the cs ordered years ago would be our saviour that they did not realise was what we needed. 

They then set up an on island testing facility that we needed in record time and work all the hours god sends (Alien to most CS) to get it working and producing rapid results.

This same person then gets  nominated for awards, this would have put normal egos out of place, never mind fragile CS ones.

Its a wonder her brake lines were not cut 😀

I friend of mine was seconded to a gov dept a few years ago, after a couple of days he was sent to Coventry. His crime? He did a days work, in a days time and it showed up the rest of the office to be doing very little.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Along rocks up someone dynamic who even finds a machine the cs ordered years ago

It is a minor point, but according to Dr G's testimony, the machine wasn't found by her, it was found by one of the senior microbiologists at the lab. She then advised about setting it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's more important things about this whole situation to be annoyed about, like the fact we've had two lockdowns this year, but I have to raise it again.

'We'll put out some negative press about you'

It's absolutely insane behaviour. I'm gonna keep going on about it I reckon. I swear, if someone had said that to me I'd fucking deck them. Which might be why I don't work for the government.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

.Shame, blame, ridicule, are all traits of the toxic once they are challenged. 

This is the main problem. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you respond to them that is important. Isle of Man government, both politicians and managements approach is deny mistake was made, completely lie, and apparently smear people. It's dreadful. 

Rhumsaa was suggesting the idea of a benevolent dictator the other day, I'd go full on Stalin and start purging.

• Like 9