IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Of a sort? I was under the impression the set up in Liverpool was very well respected.  Providing genomics?

There was a supplement in the New Statesman month or so ago, praising the genomics industry in Britain. A very good piece.

Unfortunately no mention of Dr Glover. Just an oversight I am sure. 

12 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Of a sort? I was under the impression the set up in Liverpool was very well respected.  Providing genomics?

Yes but it is not providing the interpretation.  Its a bit like a traffic survey: 

Yes, 10 black cars and 3 red. 7 were Nissan, 2 were Renault, 1 was a VW, another a Lexus and 2 were clapped out Daihatsus.

Where were they coming from? Well, 8 were coming from the North and 6 were coming from the south.

But what was the original start point? Dunno.

Well, where were they going? Dunno.

And how many occupants were there?  Well, in every case we can be sure of at least one in every car.

OK, can you say the gender of that certain one? No.

Could you hazard a guess at the likely numbers of passengers? No,  but on average  we would expect to see  2 passengers, as an average over the whole sample.

Could you give a likely estimate of the gender of the passengers? No, but on average....

Not good enough, we need to understand passenger movements with age and gender to start to understand the profile of car usage and why.

Oh, that would mean we have to look inside the car and interpret the results.  We don’t do that. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

There was a supplement in the New Statesman month or so ago, praising the genomics industry in Britain. A very good piece.

Unfortunately no mention of Dr Glover. Just an oversight I am sure. 

So,  is she a charlatan? 

• Like 1

This article appears to demonstrate everything I wanted for the Isle of Man’s COVID response with genomics. The New Zealand response appear to vindicate my position on this. Except we’d have been doing it A YEAR AGO.
Edited by alpha-acid
attribute source
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:
This article appears to demonstrate everything I wanted for the Isle of Man’s COVID response with genomics. The New Zealand response appear to vindicate my position on this. Except we’d have been doing it A YEAR AGO.

No, it's Manx solutions to Manx problems here boy!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, NewResident said:

I've been reading this topic, and I just wanted to post a point of view here.  We were in the process of relocating to the IOM early 2020 (had bought property etc) but got "stuck" elsewhere when covid struck last year.  We've now finally just come back over from England and are in our 2 week quarantine period.  I'm sure there must have been mistakes in the government's reactions to the pandemic - but this is definitely true of all governments everywhere.  Our own experience of our dealings with the IOM government institutions/local government/post office while we've been in this difficult position over the last year has been very good.  Considerably better than our dealings with the equivalent organisations in England.

Just a few small examples: we had a post forward on for our IOM home.  I emailed the post office a week before we were coming over to ask them to stop forwarding and received an email reply within 2 hours to confirm. The government's RR scheme worked very efficiently; the landing pass instructions were easy to follow.  We phoned 111 to organise testing and the phone was picked up within seconds - I've waited for pick up with the equivalent UK 111 for nearly an hour recently.  The testing was scheduled and very well organised when we went.  We had a phone call within hours of landing to confirm that we were in quarantine and to ask if we had enough food etc.  

As I say I'm sure that some bad decisions have been made, and I don't know the ins and outs of those, but generally we find the IOM government and health organisations to be very efficiently run; considerably more efficient than the equivalent in England!

Welcome to the IOM. Hope it works out for you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cambon said:

Sorry Banker, but Europe doesn't know it's arse from its elbow. USA, have a central government with 50 different local governments making decisions. Basically, nobody there knows what they are doing. 

The vaccine is not a panacea, especially when given at 12 week dose intervals. USA are sticking to manufacturer recommended dosage, and are claiming  91% efficacy after 6 months. Niether the UK nor us will not be able to claim that. However, I just hope our (UK) strategy has some effect. Time will tell. 

The reality is, none of us are travelling on holiday anywhere further than the uk any time soon. Talking to family in Cyprus today, they are allowed to leave home for up to three hours, five times a week. They must send an email or text stating times, receive a "permission" reply, and comply. There are also curfews, 11pm-5am. Yes the pubs are open for outside service, but very quiet, obviously. 

Think you’re talking bollocks as usual and hoping lockdowns continue forever. CDC in USA made decisions on travel.

Cyprus have already announced vaccinated tourists can visit from 1st May so you’re non existent family there obviously don’t read the news. Here’s the news for your family! https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/06/eu-indecision-led-cyprus-to-allow-in-uk-visitors-says-minister

Heres a bit more on vaccinations passport for you , try not to panic 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56625307

Edited by Banker

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes but it is not providing the interpretation.  Its a bit like a traffic survey: 

Yes, 10 black cars and 3 red. 7 were Nissan, 2 were Renault, 1 was a VW, another a Lexus and 2 were clapped out Daihatsus.

Where were they coming from? Well, 8 were coming from the North and 6 were coming from the south.

But what was the original start point? Dunno.

Well, where were they going? Dunno.

And how many occupants were there?  Well, in every case we can be sure of at least one in every car.

OK, can you say the gender of that certain one? No.

Could you hazard a guess at the likely numbers of passengers? No,  but on average  we would expect to see  2 passengers, as an average over the whole sample.

Could you give a likely estimate of the gender of the passengers? No, but on average....

Not good enough, we need to understand passenger movements with age and gender to start to understand the profile of car usage and why.

Oh, that would mean we have to look inside the car and interpret the results.  We don’t do that. 

I have to say Gladys,  that analogy isn't great or relevant.