IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

evidenced in this article

The Telegraph article is behind a paywall so I am afraid non-Telegraph subscriber's can not read it without registering.

Personally, I do not believe our shower could spell conspiracy, let alone create one. That being said, it is quite apparent that behavioural 'nudge' techniques and some blatant propaganda have been used to gain acceptance for whatever policy direction they have chosen on any given day.

The frustrating thing from my point of view is that all of those in power, who are largely comfortable off, middle class and middle aged, seem to have forgotten what it is like to be 20-30yrs old and from a working class background, so rather than coming up with imaginative, nuanced and targeted approaches (assuming they exist, maybe they don't???), have in my opinion just copied each other and applied Chemo to the Covid patient. Whilst being reasonably effective in subduing the virus, the short/medium term collateral damage to everything else, including our liberties has been catastrophic. 

As for outside non-governmental powers, again I do not see any over arching conspiracy, however as Teapot says, there are plenty of opportunists out there who will gladly part a fool government from their money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think they just have forgotten to update it on the dashboard.  I use the daily number of total tests (which is now the same as tests concluded) off the Twitter/Facebook posts and they imply 184 tests done today and 193 yesterday.

The problem is that it isn't very many.  When you consider that there are every day a large number of tests books in advance ( 121 and 105 respectively for those two) for those requiring 1/7/13 day tests when isolating or returning from across, and some of these people may manage to get tested on the same day.  And there are normally around 40 or so done for those going into hospital, add in regular testing for Steam Packet staff and so on and it doesn't leave much in the way of people ringing 111 with symptoms.

This is why Ewart was wrong the other day when she claimed that a "falling positive test rate 'shows community cases aren't being missed'".  If most of your test results are of people who ought to be negative anyway or who have already tested positive (so even if they still test positive they won't be a new case), then that doesn't prove anything.  You need to test a lot of people in the community to assure yourself that there is no continuing community spread, not just a few dozen who happen to get past the 111 filte with the 'right' symptoms.

How would you test people in the community though. I wouldn't be volunteering to have a swab stuck up my nose for free. 

7 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The Telegraph article is behind a paywall so I am afraid non-Telegraph subscriber's can not read it without registering.

I you turn javascript off and refresh you get round the paywall. You can do this in your browser settings or if you've any sense with with the ublock extension.

Edit - to help out though, anyone who wants to read it without doing that you can read it here paywall free at this archive link 

https://web.archive.org/web/20210405161719/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/02/state-fear-ministers-used-covert-tactics-keep-scared-public/

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Eh? 

We can do 1500 a day.

There is an average of less than half that booked in for the next 7 days.

I assume they send out invitations at the same rate as they can jab.

Does the lower number of people booked in mean a lower percentage of those being invited are taking up the offer because they are younger healthy, and are thinking they don't need it?

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

How would you test people in the community though. I wouldn't be volunteering to have a swab stuck up my nose for free. 

Most people are OK (if not delighted) with it.  The only people who seem to object are you and David Ashford (assuming you're different people).  In voluntary testing situations, take-up is high.

But I'm not actually suggesting random testing, just encouraging looser guidelines around symptoms (in New Zealand anyone with the symptoms of a cold is encouraged to get tested) and maybe also more testing among targeted groups and contacts.  Given the way this outbreak spread - older school children would be an obvious choice.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, trmpton said:

We can do 1500 a day.

Does the lower number of people booked in mean a lower percentage of those being invited are taking up the offer because they are younger healthy, and are thinking they don't need it?

No it's because of a reduction in vaccine supply - something that we have known was going to happen for a while.   They've got stock (as per yesterday) of 9364 but 4650 jabs (nearly all firsts) are scheduled in the coming 7 days.

At that rate it doesn't take much to run out if there are supply problems.   And there will be a lot of people (particularly in the over-70s) booked to have a second dose soon.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, trmpton said:

We can do 1500 a day.

We've been through this before.

Booking are being made all day every day.  2000 booked now for example of over 7 days doesn't mean 2000 vaccinations.

21 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

We've been through this before.

Booking are being made all day every day.  2000 booked now for example of over 7 days doesn't mean 2000 vaccinations.

Ah ok.  Guess time will tell.

Last Thursday they were making appointments for Friday afternoon which would suggest they didn't have any before that and that capacity had been reduced.

Will have a look at the figures next week and see what they have achieved.

Thanks

Having just listened to ashie on the paul moulton thing while dressed in my underpants with crayons up my nose, it struck me that this weekend will have cost me as a fully paid up member of the GMP at least 50k in printer cartridges alone. That's before we even get to the double bubble/days in lieu. How many people have we had on this issue representing our cause?

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Last Thursday they were making appointments for Friday afternoon which would suggest they didn't have any before that and that capacity had been reduced.

Will have a look at the figures next week and see what they have achieved.

The appointments are happening quicker. If you look at the published stats a huge number of the doses in the last few weeks have been seconds in the older age groups which are all pre booked from the first appointment date so they can probably slot new jabs in around those quickly. That said talking to someone in know on the 111 side they do also seem to be having more of the younger groups not taking up the offer as much as the over 60s though. Less letters going out resulting in bookings. 

28 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Having just listened to ashie on the paul moulton thing while dressed in my underpants with crayons up my nose, it struck me that this weekend will have cost me as a fully paid up member of the GMP at least 50k in printer cartridges alone. That's before we even get to the double bubble/days in lieu. How many people have we had on this issue representing our cause?

He did say that certain key people needed a rest, so not sure how many were burning the midnight oil this weekend.

Mind you, he also said that as Minister he had to be careful about what he said re PAC, but in relation to the letter thought it was quite proper to publicly air concerns raised with him.  

27 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

It's not real money anymore, we just spend what we spend. I read today in the press that the UK NHS are providing free lateral flow tests to everyone. That must be the £1 billion worth of 'free' tests that they have already been purchased and are gathering dust. Who are they kidding, this is costing a bloody fortune. BTW, I had my jab today in Chester Street and was distinctly underwhelmed by the skirting board, for that money I do not expect gaps, but I suppose sealant is too expensive. As has been said by others, staff were friendly and efficient and so far no ill effects - unless being grouchy counts.

• Like 1