IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

Straightforward does not mean desirable, necessary or in anyway proportionate 

Agreed.

But Covid is none of those things either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gladys said:

I couldn't buy a deck chair for love nor money this weekend!

That's only because Mr Toad and the MBE bought them all up and play 'rearrange the deck-chairs', which they've been doing for the past 12 months.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Interestingly (perhaps) Chris Robertshaw MHK, when he was manager of The Sefton, had an idea for ID cards for entry into pubs - not just age, but it would prevent entry to anyone banned from other pubs.

The system would be straightforward enough to implement and include vaccination info. And extended to shops, cinema &c.

It was an extremely silly idea, even for its initial purpose, and a particularly odd one for someone whose job was mainly dealing with visitors to the Island.  Adding in vaccine info would be extremely difficult and changing all the time. It would be difficult to check and easy to fake.

Such a scheme would be simultaneously incredibly bureaucratic and expensive and incredibly ineffective.  Why the Manx Government never adopted it is a mystery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Interestingly (perhaps) Chris Robertshaw MHK, when he was manager of The Sefton, had an idea for ID cards for entry into pubs - not just age, but it would prevent entry to anyone banned from other pubs.

The system would be straightforward enough to implement and include vaccination info. And extended to shops, cinema &c.

I just don't get the point in this ID passport rubbish. What is the point? If one has been vaccinated, why would they be bothered if unvaccinated people are in the same place? If they have not been vaccinated, they are there at their own risk. Whether it be a pub, football match, whatever. In the context of Covid it is pointless. Probably more about conditioning and control. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I just don't get the point in this ID passport rubbish. What is the point? If one has been vaccinated, why would they be bothered if unvaccinated people are in the same place? If they have not been vaccinated, they are there at their own risk. Whether it be a pub, football match, whatever. In the context of Covid it is pointless. Probably more about conditioning and control. 

Vaccinated...still a 5 to 40% of catching it if exposed to it (depending on vaccine), but unlikely to spread it.

Unvaccinated...100% chance of catching it if exposed to it and highly likely to spread it.

So it's all about the simple probabilities of spread.

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Vaccinated...still a 5 to 40% of catching it if exposed to it (depending on vaccine), but unlikely to spread it.

Unvaccinated...100% chance of catching it if exposed to it and highly likely to spread it.

I assume the chance of catching virus if you’re unvaccinated will depend on the % of unvaccinated at the event eg if only 25% are unvaccinated then chances presumably will be reduced by 4.

Also those unvaccinated are likely to be younger so chances of getting seriously ill will be very much lower than a crowd of 60/70 year olds 

According to the latest 7 day rolling U.K. stats, you have less than a 0.05% chance of contracting the virus currently (per 100k people) & less than a 0.03% chance of dying with Covid.

This will effectively be done & dusted by the end of May.

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

According to the latest 7 day rolling U.K. stats, you have less than a 0.05% chance of contracting the virus currently (per 100k people) & less than a 0.03% chance of dying with Covid.

This will effectively be done & dusted by the end of May.

Just in time for TT.

We could have safely run the races and at this rate we don't even know for certain if we will be allowed to go away without isolation on return or if family will be able to visit.

Edited by trmpton

3 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I heard the public mouth piece spouting the vaccination cracking on over Easter, If I am wrong I apologise but to me it looked as if the Chester Street clinic was locked and closed over most if not all of Easter.

Yeh, you're wrong.  Surprise surprise.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I dont think that's correct.   There are clearly some people who get exposed to it and don't catch it.  100% chance is simply untrue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Just in time for TT.

We could have safely run the races and at this rate ...

Don't think so...we'd be at least 200+ marshals down with the majority of all marshals requiring training updates...and have nowhere near enough medical cover.

• Like 1

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

I dont think that's correct.   There are clearly some people who get exposed to it and don't catch it.  100% chance is simply untrue.

It isn't even close to being correct as you have pointed out.  I know people who shared beds with people who were positive who never got it.