IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

24 minutes ago, Banker said:

They haven’t said what isolation will be required yet , hopefully follow Channel Islands and isolate depending on cases in area.

Howard is copying Guernsey in the phased reopening rather than big bang approach & hopefully will in borders as attached 

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/guernsey-aims-for-unrestricted-summer-travel

Think the Liverpool current rate of infection is 29 in 100,000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The sewage thing only works if you've got no known cases in the population - otherwise it just tells you what you know already.  New Zealand uses it sometimes as a check, but they can do that because all their known cases and even returning travellers are quarantined in separate places and you just don't test anything that includes the outflow from those.  It means they can pick up cases in 'the wild' or reassure themselves there aren't any, but it's only a minor help in fighting Covid.

I am very dubious still about lateral flow tests - I'll do some more research, but what I have found so far isn't reassuring.

Hypothetically, The sewage thing could be used to monitor the background level i.e Is it really zero. Also, all the sewages streams could be seperated out to trace backwards. I'm not advocating it, maybe it's crazy.

The lateral flow tests could only be used in a similar way. If you did enough it would give you something to trend, so long as you didn't act on individual results. I think that's was the PH in the UK are thinking with schools. If lots of pupils started getting positives they might see hotspots before they grow into major outbreaks.

Be interesting to see what comes along.

46 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Plenty of people listen on Manx Radio, although I am certain the Manx Radio ProgrammeControler would like to think not, the briefings eat into his own show. DJs as an absolute rule don't like this serious stuff getting in teh way of their shows.

Facebook is still bringing n quite a few thousand. The comments section filled mainly by 'Karens'. Don't mess with them if you know what is good for you.

20210406 viewing figures FB.jpg

I listened for about 10 minutes. Howard telling me he took cakes to his parents and Ashford explaining 1 in 2 was 50% was enough for me

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yeah. At the moment they’re saying 3A and that is spelled out.

About 3 weeks ago I said schools wouldn’t be back until 19/4 and was told not to be stupid.

Im just being realistic.

They may run 3A for a month.

But the schools are back on 13th albeit not all pupils.

You are probably right on isolation but Ashford said the data would be considered & if UK rates continue to plummet there’s no reason for 14/21 days when our peers are doing negative test on arrival & you’re free. We need a proper risk based arrival system.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If we were in mitigation, we would not be in lockdown. 

There were 4 unexplained cases when they opened the schools. Construction were still working when we were getting 50 odd cases with a good proportion of unexplained cases. If thats not a mitigation strategy what is? It just got a bit out of hand.

40 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Think the Liverpool current rate of infection is 29 in 100,000

The corruption rate is much higher though... 😂

• Haha 3

Oxford University just announced that they're suspending trials of the AZ vaccine on kids pending further research into blood-clotting concerns (Sky News).

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Evidence that vaccinations do stop transmission to others is increasing despite Ashford saying it doesn’t.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-56514470

It's not a very well written article, but it doesn't say that it stops transmission.  It reduces it - and we knew that anyway - but it doesn't stop it.  The question is how much it reduces it.

45 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Hypothetically, The sewage thing could be used to monitor the background level i.e Is it really zero. Also, all the sewages streams could be seperated out to trace backwards. I'm not advocating it, maybe it's crazy.

The lateral flow tests could only be used in a similar way. If you did enough it would give you something to trend, so long as you didn't act on individual results. I think that's was the PH in the UK are thinking with schools. If lots of pupils started getting positives they might see hotspots before they grow into major outbreaks.

Be interesting to see what comes along.

Sewage would be no good for us because of people isolating in their own homes.  A positive test might be from one of them (not a problem) or from someone you didn't know about (bad).  Given that they don't even know where half the pipes are (see the Prom) I doubt they'd be reliable about being able to split thee cases.

If you're going to used 'pooled' testing you don't need the speed of response of the lateral flow tests, you can just use normal PCR ones, which are much more reliable.  In practice PCR is now cheap and fast enough that pooling isn't really required.

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not a very well written article, but it doesn't say that it stops transmission.  It reduces it - and we knew that anyway - but it doesn't stop it.  The question is how much it reduces it.

Israeli research suggests that vaccinated persons who become infected with covid appear to have 4 times less viral load than those not vaccinated...

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/covid-19-vaccine-seems-to-reduce-viral-load-transmission-israeli-study-664181

• Like 1