IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

To deny to the overwhelming majority individual freedom to travel, to meet, to socially interact, to be employed to the extent of ensuring financial security for self and/or family, when all other reasonable steps have been taken to protect the vulnerable, is fundamentally wrong because of the potentially catastrophic long-term economic, medical and societal consequences

Absolutely. We are nearly at that point due to the vaccination programme, and we know that the government plans to ease restrictions further and switch to a strategy of mitigation (although people may argue about exactly how that process works). The point I was responding to in Filippo's post was the suggestion that right at the very start, when vaccination was a long way off, we still shouldn't have locked down because a proportion of elderly people were, in effect, expendable, and could be sacrificed in order to maintain the freedoms of less vulnerable people. That is not what I would call taking all reasonable steps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

Actually a very common term. Like you can count them on one hand etc. Its probably used by a large part of the general population. So I’d imagine it would only be a sad, useless, whining little cunt who would concoct such a mental argument. 

Nice first post.

14 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Uh-oh yourself you fucking prick. 

Nice second post.

Welcome to Manx Forums.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John Wright said:

Which is 4 times ours

I am not convinced it is tbh.

They are doing much more widespread testing than we are.  I will never understand the iom reluctance to do surveillance testing.

Anyway, if the current infection rate in liverpool is four times ours, and our vaccination programs are broadly at the same point, why are we all still going bankrupt and not allowed to see family when their lives are going in the opposite direction.  In a lot of ways they have never been as locked down as we are now and our figures are tiny.

The time to educate the public on the way forward and get them to accept us all moving on with our lives is now.

Anyone who is really stressed is welcome to continue to take whatever precautions they see fit but stopping vaccinated people going to visit other vaccinated people or even earn a living is too much now given the current risk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But the "routines" & "soon" will probably by now be heading north towards "urgent" and no doubt some will succumb in the process.  

Sadly that may well be the case. On Manx Radio this lunchtime there were callers saying they / and partners had been missed appointments for follow ups and had subsequently died. Tragic and very heartfelt. 

Clinicians will be sorting out the priorities of follow ups and after that it depends on having the clinical capacity for investigations / interventions, both for themselves and within the hospital or off island. Unfortunately clinical staff are in effect 'gagged' from comment on about facilities unless a formal review takes place.

There has to be an explanation for these and other actions taken or not taken at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On the endoscopy thing I did have one last year, took about three weeks from referral to appointment so no complaints there.

I still haven’t had the appointment to discuss the results.  It is booked for June which will be 10 months after the procedure.

How on earth is that justifiable if they aren’t doing many actual procedures?  I haven’t even been given the option of a phone or video call. 

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apple said:

Sadly that may well be the case. On Manx Radio this lunchtime there were callers saying they / and partners had been missed appointments for follow ups and had subsequently died. Tragic and very heartfelt. 

Clinicians will be sorting out the priorities of follow ups and after that it depends on having the clinical capacity for investigations / interventions, both for themselves and within the hospital or off island. Unfortunately clinical staff are in effect 'gagged' from comment on about facilities unless a formal review takes place.

There has to be an explanation for these and other actions taken or not taken at some point. 

It would be extremely concerning if you’re on waiting list , I know several on orthopedic lists who have been waiting years for knee/hip surgery and pains are getting worse.

We really need to get hospital back up working fully & get working in backlog, there’s 1 in hospital FFS!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Reminder that Filipo quoted Fox News and Tucker Carlson both noted far right supporting 'News' sources, Covid deniers, white supremacists and Donald Trump supporters.

For that reason alone i have no interest in his opinion.

I frequent this thread as it the one that is still running.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There is no explanation or apology from me about the role of the DHSC and the hospital over what I perceive as failures and my posts have consistently reflected that I hope.

Mistakes have been made in my view. And continue to be so.

Getting the hospital back up and running must now be a priority. A respectable and experienced clinical and management needs to take over and that is what my hope is (Pandora's box). We need the right teams in there, and the wrong ones out.

The Govt has to take into account the current problems and support fully the reimplementation of matters urgent and stop trying to make political capital out of it any more.

Irrespective of lockdown urgent clinical procedures need to be taking place for whatever conditions are being presented. For resources and how they are being used, or not used, public complaints, the press and social media  along with the MHK's need to be asking the questions and getting honest answers. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

decisions about risk to the individual must be made by the individual and not be dictated upon the whim of a cabal of faceless government functionaries.

How do you feel about the drugs laws?

Although a better analogy might be drink driving - where, as with the potential spread of disease, other people may be put at risk.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

How do you feel about the drugs laws?

Although a better analogy might be drink driving - where, as with the potential spread of disease, other people may be put at risk.

Bit of a stretch with the old analogy there 😜

A better one might be how would you feel if they suddenly deemed that cafes and bars were a risk to public health and so closed them down.  Or sports clubs because of the small number of participants who have heart failure when competing or training.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, trmpton said:

On the endoscopy thing I did have one last year, took about three weeks from referral to appointment so no complaints there.

I still haven’t had the appointment to discuss the results.  It is booked for June which will be 10 months after the procedure.

How on earth is that justifiable if they aren’t doing many actual procedures?  I haven’t even been given the option of a phone or video call. 

Bombarding the department secretarial staff with weekly emails, telephone calls and the occasional stiff letter may produce results, and getting your GP to write/email them will help also. It worked for me, same discipline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1