IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Just seemed very random.

........as has 99% of all decisions taken by our parish council and the Johnson regime over the past 12months - no logic, evaluation (aside from unquestionable advice from the 'trusted' purveyors of total disaster) and no rational thought. 

I can see through my COVID tinted glasses that Waterstones and Millichaps will be the festering hotbeds of COVID production; I can just see all those little viri spewing out the doors and windows.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1

Just now, Apple said:

Could the reason be that if we open up the retail sector too soon we may overwhelm the track and trace teams in trying to identify where and how any new cases are coming from ? Just a suggestion but maybe they should explain the rationale for it as that would help. 

Possibly, but for a week?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, DA said you will not be prioritised if you miss your vax.  PM asked what did that mean, going to the bottom of the list?  In reply, DA said everything except what it meant. 

Trying to get my head round your last sentence Gladys.

I listened to it and my understanding was that DA said if you choose not to have the vaccine and subsequently want to do so you rejoin the queue. Seems fair enough to me.

I'm beginning to think there is no plan.

The whole point of the restrictions and lockdowns were to stop the hospital being overwhelmed.

Here we are with 1 person in hospital (who may or may not be in being treated for covid) which has been the case for the last 5 days. 60% of the adult population with a vaccine, the most at risk groups vaccinated and we have to wait another week for our kids to go back to school and no doubt even longer than that for hospitality to open.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Possibly, but for a week?  

To be honest I wouldn't like to see them open up too much too soon and then put us back into not knowing where this thing is coming from. T and T staff will benefit from a bit of a break no doubt as well.

I am not saying they have managed the whole shebang well (because they haven't) but I want to get out of this groundhog day scenario as soon a possible now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Apple said:

To be honest I wouldn't like to see them open up too much too soon and then put us back into not knowing where this thing is coming from. T and T staff will benefit from a bit of a break no doubt as well.

I am not saying they have managed the whole shebang well (because they haven't) but I want to get out of this groundhog day scenario as soon a possible now. 

Absolutely agree, just trying to understand why hardware and not, say, bookshops, given B&Q and builders merchants have been open.  I suppose it keeps people out of Strand Street, which might be the plan.  

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I'm beginning to think there is no plan.

The whole point of the restrictions and lockdowns were to stop the hospital being overwhelmed.

Here we are with 1 person in hospital (who may or may not be in being treated for covid) which has been the case for the last 5 days. 60% of the adult population with a vaccine, the most at risk groups vaccinated and we have to wait another week for our kids to go back to school and no doubt even longer than that for hospitality to open.

Many weeks ago I did predict the first week in May before we can go to the boozer!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Trying to get my head round your last sentence Gladys.

I listened to it and my understanding was that DA said if you choose not to have the vaccine and subsequently want to do so you rejoin the queue. Seems fair enough to me.

PM pressed him if that meant going to the bottom of the queue, rather than back to where they left the queue.

4 hours ago, Manx Yeller said:

The whole "there's no evidence of blood clots with the 2nd dose" I would have thought that the vast majority of AZ jabs were first doses at the moment? So whilst it's likely to be a true statement, would suggest it's slightly misleading....

It’s a fair point you make, but I don’t think it’s misleading to say no evidence of blood clots for 2nd dose.  

I’ve thought about this a bit - my daughter is in the relevant age category and has had her first dose. It makes sense to me that these cases of cerebral sinus thrombosis are going to be an idiosyncratic reaction to the vaccine - that is to say an unusual and unexpected reaction based on there being something ‘odd’ with how the few recipients it’s affected react, rather than an immunological phenomenon that could be worse second time. Basically if you didn’t react first time you won’t second time. And that’s if it is actually connected with the vaccine at all, which is not yet certain. 

When she asks me if she should have her second dose I’ll say go for it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

But it only took less than two weeks to go from 2 people in hospital to 23.  And we know that most of those who contracted the disease were too young to be vaccinated.  Of the 1138 positive cases since 15 February, only 56 were 65 or over and some of even that age group will have been vaccinated very recently and had no time to develop any immunity, never mind the reduced one from just one jab.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

They don’t give rationale to anything because there isn’t one.

it would be interesting if they published the minutes from the council of ministers 

It may have just been conversational again LOL.