IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

They don’t give rationale to anything because there isn’t one.

it would be interesting if they published the minutes from the council of ministers 

This.

It would also help if we had a coherent press who asked intelligent questions.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, finlo said:

Many weeks ago I did predict the first week in May before we can go to the boozer!

I think you are correct. In a post earlier this evening, I said that MERA has been extended by a month to the end of May. CM today quoted baby steps when allowing hardware stores etc to open from Monday12th. But then said hopefully everything else open on Monday19th. Having extended MERA by a month, is that really a baby step? No. It is a carrot on the end of a stick. I hope I am wrong, but...........

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Absolutely agree, just trying to understand why hardware and not, say, bookshops, given B&Q and builders merchants have been open.  I suppose it keeps people out of Strand Street, which might be the plan.  

I think it had to do with a belief that people tend to go to hardware stores for semi-essentials and that they just pop in, buy what they want and then get out.  They may also see them as more sparsely populated at any particular time and so there's more space[1].  And because of the overlap with places already open for trade and with garden centres, maybe it's not seen as making much difference.

In the end I suspect they are really making a puritan distinction between places where you might enjoy shopping (bookshops, clothing and footwear) and those where you have to go.

[1]  Obviously no one who was ever in the old Ken Quine's would take this seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I think you are correct. In a post earlier this evening, I said that MERA has been extended by a month to the end of May. CM today quoted baby steps when allowing hardware stores etc to open from Monday12th. But then said hopefully everything else open on Monday19th. Having extended MERA by a month, is that really a baby step? No. It is a carrot on the end of a stick. I hope I am wrong, but...........

MERA is a very small help to the many who are being shafted by this government who have been quick to help the large construction companies.

Its this complete negative backward attitude which is reflected in the piss poor exit strategy which panders to people like you and many other civil service types who get full pay pay no matter what & have most of families here .

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s a fair point you make, but I don’t think it’s misleading to say no evidence of blood clots for 2nd dose.  

Ham medical question here...aren't glycoproteins a factor in clotting? If the weakened adenovirus encoding the SARS CoV 2 Spike glycoprotein is contained in the jab...well, that suggests to me if you are unfortunate to be one of those one in a hundred thousand disposed to these type of clots and catch covid...covid will cause the same problem at least ten-fold?

ETA: Which would also suggest this is likely to become an issue with most, if not all, of the other vaccines eventually?

Edited by Albert Tatlock

Could you imagine this happening:-

competent journalist - please can you advise when the minutes from the council of ministers when the decisions have been made will be published 

hq- I don’t think the great Manx public have much desire about that, we are taking baby steps

Competent journalist - I think your wrong the great Manx Publix absolutely desire to know what ministers are thinking and the rationale behind it.  You cannot be making decisions for 75k people in secret

hq- these are unprecedented times, I don’t think the great Manx Public would like to know why we think you can go to a fabric shop or b and q and not a normal shop. The evidence is just too complicated 

competent journalist - why don’t you try us we are an educated population

hq - let me bring the director of public health in at this stage

if I witnessed my head would explode 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Ham medical question here...aren't glycoproteins a factor in clotting? If the weakened adenovirus encoding the SARS CoV 2 Spike glycoprotein is contained in the jab...well, that suggests to me if you are unfortunate to be one of those one in a hundred thousand disposed to these type of clots and catch covid...covid will cause the same problem at least ten-fold?

It’s a plausible hypothesis, but doesn’t really explain why the other jabs don’t seem to be doing the same. If it were the spike protein you’d expect the same with Pfizer. I’d guess it’s an odd reaction to something in the AZ preparation, rather than the inactivated virus.  Note the word ‘guess’.

10 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

competent journalist - please can you advise when the minutes from the council of ministers when the decisions have been made will be published 

hq- I don’t think the great Manx public have much desire about that, we are taking baby steps

Competent journalist - I think your wrong the great Manx Publix absolutely desire to know what ministers are thinking and the rationale behind it.  You cannot be making decisions for 75k people in secret

hq- these are unprecedented times, I don’t think the great Manx Public would like to know why we think you can go to a fabric shop or b and q and not a normal shop. The evidence is just too complicated 

Wasn’t a similar question asked in Tynwald about the minutes of the emergency advisory committee who advise Comin and there were no minutes & no meetings!!

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s a plausible hypothesis, but doesn’t really explain why the other jabs don’t seem to be doing the same. If it were the spike protein you’d expect the same with Pfizer. I’d guess it’s an odd reaction to something in the AZ preparation, rather than the inactivated virus.  Note the word ‘guess’.

I added an edit above as you were replying: 

ETA: Which would also suggest this is likely to become an issue with most, if not all, of the other vaccines eventually?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

But comin proceedings are published https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/council-of-ministers/the-council-of-ministers/council-of-ministers-proceedings/

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

The whole point of the restrictions and lockdowns were to stop the hospital being overwhelmed

At last, the penny has dropped!

In fairness to Johnson and Headboy Hancock it was their initial mantra: remember 'Save the NHS' that went on, in very short order, to expose its widespread inefficiencies and lack of preparedness for anything other than 'normal'.  But once the NHS had been saved first time around, other excuses had to be found such as 'foreign strains' and absurd (deceitful) statistics from the SAGE zealots to sustain the fear-factor in the population.

Similarly, it could be argued that a catastrophic failure of our Island system would have ensued had it not been for the first lockdown with an indeterminable load on Nobles - but then is not now. 

The crisis, thanks to vaccination, is over and as I wrote several weeks ago, given that COVID must now be treated like any other potentially dangerous illness for a very, very small percentage of our population, facilities must be put in place to deal with ongoing, although hopefully diminishing with time, CV care in the same manner as cardiac, cancer and mental health has been for decades.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Guernsey- plan for travel vaccinated or not.

image.png.22736bf6e645583d42117562ef407b7e.png

That is a brilliant system, and perfect for entry to the IOM. Use a driving licence or utility bill to confirm 'home address' and crack on.

My family in Hampshire have a rate of 10 per 100,000 and haven't heard of anyone that's caught Covid for over a month including all the kids at school. 

Just now, winnie said:

That is a brilliant system, and perfect for entry to the IOM. Use a driving licence or utility bill to confirm 'home address' and crack on.

My family in Hampshire have a rate of 10 per 100,000 and haven't heard of anyone that's caught Covid for over a month including all the kids at school. 

The hard bit is if the rate at Heysham / Liverpool / point of travel to the island is higher. Most travel to Guernsey from Southampton which is usually lower.