IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Manxas said:

I wasn't denying the fact that any medical emergency treatment deserves medical care, that was my point really. In an ideal world, everyone  would have access to free health care and quite rightly. My point really is that our government are so twisted and corrupt that I can imagine them getting a backhander for the help they've given the crew member. 

I have criticised government, but one thing I don't think is that there is that kind of deep rooted corruption;  incompetence and complacency possibly, but I doubt that there is a culture of backhanders.  If anything, I suspect they would have pulled the stops out to get this person treatment and thought about money later. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are both incorrect I think. If you listen to what she said she said we were lucky that given the localities and places that the infected person visited in December that it did not spread further and was able to be contained. The luck part of the whole saga was the bit before we knew there was an outbreak and is the bit over which you have no influence. That's how I interpreted it anyway. Those who want to slate her interpret that she said we were lucky with everything that we did.

With the SPCo fiasco we were not so lucky as whoever was wandering around after their shift managed to do a great job of spreading it. The luck ran out, it couldn't be contained, and now we are all paying the price. Hopefully someone will eventually be taken to task over how it happened.

He who writes the notes writes the history, is all one can say.

How can you take those to task if they are no longer around or just trying their best. 

Mistakes have been made. What and who by will never be uncovered really.

• Like 1

I think there is the facility to charge 'Foreigners' for medical treatment, though this may be waived as a gesture of goodwill?

The crew of the Russian boat probably have private medical insurance, so perhaps, a charge should be levied?

It would be ironic if a Russian automatically pulled his wallet out on arrival only to be told 'No thanks'!!!

Perhaps the reason to open B&Q. is to allow people to get the supplies to start/finish their home improvement project? This would keep them happy for a week or two till back to work?

No wonder house prices are going up!

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Presumably the sponsor family will not be expected to physically incarcerate visiting relatives, but to inform plod if the relative isn't toeing the line? 

Gladys, you're wasting valuable grey-matter on a non-matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What made me angry though was that on Tuesday HQ said if things continued as they were then non essential shops could open this Monday. Things have continued as they were (zero cases) but they about turned and put it back a week. Why was this? 

There were actually two cases yesterday (from different households).  They are 'linked' to known cases, but we don't really know what that means.  In some cases (eg a new case in a household that has been isolating for some time) it may be both clear and not worrying.  But there may be others where the link is less certain and they are just guessing - we don't know without genomics.  And even if we can be sure, the important thing is how much contact the new case has had with other people.

This whole thing about pretending the important thing is whether a case can be 'linked', and that it is somehow innocuous if it is, was simply an excuse to make the politicians feel good about doing nothing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Luck? There was a lot of effort by everyone to give us those months of Covid-free. Where was the luck?

I think it was Henrietta that used the word, and inappropriately at that. It only served the purpose to try and cover up the mismanagement of the situation that got us back where we are.

And you swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Luck got us to COVID free when nobody knew it was possible. Remember we were just flattening the curve, it was not the initial strategy but they rightly adopted it. Luck that the prevailing variant wasn’t transmissible enough to get through our weak link, the Steam Packet. 
Nothing wrong with luck, but eventually it runs out and exposes any flaws in procedure and strategy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, majkul said:

They are hardly gonna be taking bigger steps than baby ones, 

"Baby steps" is one of the buzz phrases oft used by Ashie. Baby steps maybe small and careful but they are usually floundering, the stepper hasn't got a clue what they are doing or where they are going and they are learning. The analogies are endless.

I don't think it is a good metaphor, Ashie. Good fun to hear though, and I shall designate it a two fingers of drink of my choice phrase at the next covid briefing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Barlow said:

"Baby steps" is one of the buzz phrases oft used by Ashie. Baby steps maybe small and careful but they are usually floundering, the stepper hasn't got a clue what they are doing or where they are going and they are learning. The analogies are endless.

I don't think it is a good metaphor, Ashie. Good fun to hear though, and I shall designate it a two fingers of drink of my choice phrase at the next covid briefing. 

Baby steps often involve a full nappy too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

46 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

How did you get access to this official document before publication? 

That would be telling.

Yours

David

But being serious. The Guernsey thing is not without flaw. But unlike ours at least they have been absolutely clear (granular) reference on the levels and the rules. No nonsense 3A's, but depending on data, ..... blah blah blah. At least their population know, in advance of the requirements. They can make plans at their own risks. We sit on a pile of subjective statements that gives no confidence or hope.

• Like 2