IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

So what happens the next time a person who works in sea or air travel mixes with someone they shouldn’t goes home passes covid to family who pass it on to the school etc

I would hope/guess that any known positives isolate and the rest of us crack on as normal.

Regular testing, and isolate those who come back positive.  There will have to be a finance package for anyone forced to stay home though or people just won’t get tested.

Starting in a couple of weeks 🤞 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Major Rushen said:

So what happens the next time a person who works in sea or air travel mixes with someone they shouldn’t goes home passes covid to family who pass it on to the school etc

If its during the transition phase, I would expect contact tracing and isolation to happen as before, but, depending on the severity of the outbreak, no or only minimal restrictions for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

PM has a piece about how a woman returning to the island was apparently misled by her direction notice, 111 and the security staff on her return.  All pretty appalling and for what end?  All she wanted to do was self-isolate with her husband who had not left the island but who would also self-isolate. 

That video shows the irrationality for some people and rigidity of others. Not a good watch as far as the IOMG is concerned.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

If its during the transition phase, I would expect contact tracing and isolation to happen as before, but, depending on the severity of the outbreak, no or only minimal restrictions for the rest of us.

Therefore the managed position from a date point is that the data will not matter as the impact of a community spread will be acceptable.

Pandemics do not stop when there are no more cases. Sporadic eruptions will be with us for a very long time.

One of the only things to learn from any pandemic is that the state of health and social care services of some countries are woefully inadequate. 

We need to help other countries to improve their health and social care provision in order to help protect ourselves. 

The old "health is just a bottomless pit" mantra has to be ditched as we now realise, and will do even more in the weeks, months and years to come, Covid has been a significant change agent on so many levels. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Therefore the managed position from a date point is that the data will not matter as the impact of a community spread will be acceptable.

I think that it won't be as simplistic as that. I would have thought that if we start from zero cases on a certain date, that efforts will still be made to control the spread of the virus by testing, contact tracing and isolating. 

I think that there would be no immediate introduction of societal restrictions at the outset of an outbreak.

I would have thought that a very keen eye will be kept on how any outbreak progresses, and how it manifests itself in terms of hospitalisations.

Provided the hospital is coping, restrictions will remain light if any at all. If the data suggests it isn't, then expect them to become more significant.

The grey area moving forward will be how infections (which will be inevitable) translate into hospital cases. That data will be key and will dictate our path out of this mess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

There isn't anything that is risk free when it comes to managing covid.  It only becomes "risk free" when you ignore some of the risks, like the economy, non-covid health, mental wellbeing, etc. 

PM has a piece about how a woman returning to the island was apparently misled by her direction notice, 111 and the security staff on her return.  All pretty appalling and for what end?  All she wanted to do was self-isolate with her husband who had not left the island but who would also self-isolate. 

You can kind of tolerate individual injustices or miscommunications if there is a significant risk, but there wasn't either from them or from the wider covid presence.  

What happened to the couple whose husband had to live in a caravan or a tent because his wife had returned from having treatment in the UK?

I suppose there is more to Covid-19 than just the hassle of isolating. 

OK, she returns and isolates with her husband. You could argue that the woman could then infect her husband who then spends X weeks in Nobles and dies. And in the meantime infects Nobles staff and...and... 

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Barlow said:

OK, she returns and isolates with her husband. You could argue that the woman could then infect her husband who then spends X weeks in Nobles and dies. And in the meantime infects Nobles staff and...and... 

And that is the madness of it. 

You could say we should ban driving cars because if there is an accident, the police may be involved in another accident on their way  to the scene. Those police could of been hurt going to work in the first place so its better if you follow that type of thinking through that we all stay at home and never go out again, just in case.........

What gets me about this attitude on the island from gov the most is that they are making out that all these lives are very important and they are BUT come the TT they dont give a dam about the death and maiming that goes on then.

39 minutes ago, Apple said:

Pandemics do not stop when there are no more cases. Sporadic eruptions will be with us for a very long time.

One of the only things to learn from any pandemic is that the state of health and social care services of some countries are woefully inadequate. 

We need to help other countries to improve their health and social care provision in order to help protect ourselves. 

The old "health is just a bottomless pit" mantra has to be ditched as we now realise, and will do even more in the weeks, months and years to come, Covid has been a significant change agent on so many levels. 

Yes that's right,and that's where we are.The start of a new era. Fair enough this time, get a clean start but then we have to crack on to a new way of living. Maybe for the next 5 years. But we cant keep pretending it's not happening,  which is what our government seems to be doing at the moment.

They'll say all adults 2 jabs....but then comes the September booster for the extremely vulnerable. So, do we wait another few weeks for that. A potential merrygoround. Enough.

2 weeks more, then move to mitigation and put down the drawbridge to the UK at least.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

And that is the madness of it. 

You could say we should ban driving cars because if there is an accident, the police may be involved in another accident on their way  to the scene. Those police could of been hurt going to work in the first place so its better if you follow that type of thinking through that we all stay at home and never go out again, just in case.........

What gets me about this attitude on the island from gov the most is that they are making out that all these lives are very important and they are BUT come the TT they dont give a dam about the death and maiming that goes on then.

One can make logic leap around all over the place.

I'm sure there were similar type of arguments during the war blackouts etc.

Regarding going to UK for a puppy, I would suggest that isn't essential, but that's just me.

Edited by Barlow

34 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You could, but more pragmatically, you would say has hubby been vaxed and is he in a high risk category?  Or you just say, well its no different to what happened with recent positives, the whole household just isolates. 

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Regarding going to UK for a puppy, I would suggest that isn't essential, but that's just me.

The purpose is irrelevant, she got a direction notice so was able to return subject to certain requirements.  She didn't have to prove it was essential or, if she did, it was deemed ok. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I wish someone like you was in charge of our health care system. 

Kindest thing anyone's ever said. There are those who would undoubtedly think differently. 😱 If I was then you and Gladys and one or two others on these forums would be stood right next to me. 😷

I think I posted earlier on the Manx Care thread who is coming up in Tynwald on Tuesday, which will prove useful. On ward and upward.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

The underpin of moving to mitigation is that everyone who gets covid symptoms    even when vaccinated,self isolates to minimise spread just as they would with a bad cold. 

but covid symptoms cover dozens of other ailments that there is no need to isolate for, sledge hammer to crack a nut springs to mind.

• Like 1