IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

That is just wrong. 

Police officers do take risks insofar as they manage them - some quite substantial. It’s Just some are more comfortable with the process, accountability and responsibility than others.

this underpins;

https://www.app.college.police.uk/app-content/risk-2/risk/

I think Meoir Shee was suggesting that the list of people mentioned do take risks and was asking the OP to justify why, in their words, they never took risks.

For many of those professions mentioned, and other Public Sector workers, a large part of their work is assessing and managing risk. Not necessarily risk to themselves (although it can be for some of them), but the risk to individuals or the public in general, from one course of action compared to another.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

This extra week is just pointless...one of the lines they have given is to allow teachers to prepare...what have they been doing for the last six weeks? And don’t say teaching because that is simply not true....my boys have video calls every other day at a time that suits the teacher otherwise it gets in the way of their day and no teaching takes place in these calls......last week of term the home schooling was read a chapter a day of a book.......

schools have already said in reality they can’t social distance so what are they preparing for....

Did you contact the school and express your dissatisfaction?   If so, what was the reply?

5 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Did you contact the school and express your dissatisfaction?   If so, what was the reply?

I didn’t get a reply. Which says it all.  I have actually gone to the level of my friend from a different school gives me their work for our boys to do instead.

it’s this preparation thing that gets me...literally past however many weeks it’s been they have known they will have to be going back at some point so why not sort it out then..instead of wasting yet another week.....genuinely is it unions at play?

9 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I think Meoir Shee was suggesting that the list of people mentioned do take risks and was asking the OP to justify why, in their words, they never took risks.

I think, and this is entirely my own opinion, that bad mouthing anyone for NEVER (not my capitals) taking risks is entirely disrespectful.  This entire thread is about Covid, I am saddened that the OP feels that Health Care professionals, predominantly public sector employees, haven’t encountered significant risk, often with the loss of their own lives.  Whilst this risk is potentially managed and to some extent mitigated, “NEVER take a risk” is such a casual comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

That will depend on the questions asked on the exemption form application. Last time. I think Guernsey arrivals had to declare they hadn’t been off Guernsey in the 14 days  prior to arrival here. Expect the same, but with 21 substituted for 14.

The question our Government need to answer will be, given the U.K. is opening up to Europe May 17, the Channel Islands to the U.K. from April 26, our vaccination programmes are at similar stages, our infection rates will likely be zero, our hospital admissions likely at zero, our at risk groups all vaccinated, infection, hospital admissions & death rates all tumbling across the U.K. ..... what gives them the right, should I say where is the data to justify keeping us all locked away?

..... and more worryingly, who the hell is providing it? I mean, isn’t the advice given to the IOM the same as that delivered to the CI & the U.K. or do we have special, more qualified experts? These decisions should NOT be political, they have to be science & data led.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 10

31 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

I think, and this is entirely my own opinion, that bad mouthing anyone for NEVER (not my capitals) taking risks is entirely disrespectful.  This entire thread is about Covid, I am saddened that the OP feels that Health Care professionals, predominantly public sector employees, haven’t encountered significant risk, often with the loss of their own lives.  Whilst this risk is potentially managed and to some extent mitigated, “NEVER take a risk” is such a casual comment.

But that is typical of the OP who must have had some middle management training years ago, and is still spouting the buzz phrases from the flip chart (yes, it was probably that long ago).   

It also demonstrates no knowledge of risk management, and you were right to bring the danger aspect of risk into the debate.  The fact is that only the public sector is willing to accept the risk of mortal danger as part of its protectionist role.  The private sector shouldn't accept that risk; if it does, it would likely fall foul of some law and/or be dabbling in unethical business practices in pursuit of profit. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The question our Government need to answer will be, given the U.K. is opening up to Europe May 17, the Channel Islands to the U.K. from April 26, our vaccination programmes are at similar stages, our infection rates will likely be zero, our hospital admissions likely at zero, our at risk groups all vaccinated, infection, hospital admissions & death rates all tumbling across the U.K. ..... what gives them the right, should I say where is the data to justify keeping us all locked away?

..... and more worryingly, who the hell is providing it? I mean, isn’t the advice given to the IOM the same as that delivered to the CI & the U.K. or do we have special, more qualified experts? These decisions should NOT be political, they are science & data led.

I agree. There is no science behind these proposals. Even the mention of the air bridge depresses me. It's a massive counter step, shows the total lack of hope our government have, with no advantage to anyone...unless you have a second home in Guernsey. 

If there is a demand for an air bridge to Guernsey (which I suspect there will not be) then it should be based upon mutually agreed border controls and then completely open. It should not be based upon a second declaration as that second declaration achieves nothing scientifically. 

• Like 3

Yes, where is the demand for an air bridge to guernsey? Certainly not from the general public.....it’s the age old haves and have nots scenario.  Those with the money and those who shout the loudest get what they want..........

do you remember in the first lockdown when on one of his speech’s hq allowed people with private planes to fly them and everyone said “eh? Who has a plane”

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

do you remember in the first lockdown when on one of his speech’s hq allowed people with private planes to fly them and everyone said “eh? Who has a plane”

A little off topic/

A bit like Chris Robertshaw MHK, when he was the golden boy of Manx politics holding The big Conversation where CoMin were to connect with the plebs. He opened his speech in Douglas with "Well, does everyone feel refreshed on returning from their Summer holidays?

Fuck, he must have thought he was back at the Government offices. I hadn't had a holiday for over 10 years and neither had many of the people there. Interestingly, from then on, the so-called 'Big Conversation' had invited guests only.

Footnote. Chris Robertshaw has been a back bench MHK for a few years now.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Banker said:

As I stated previously if air bridge is reinstated we will either have to have similar border policies or accept the great Manx public mixing with UK & Jersey visitors who may have done zero isolation depending on which region they traveled from.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-hopeful-for-guernsey-air-bridge-restart/?fbclid=IwAR2dGS8G-wcjlWwqMPUve_-3ALg6k3V4ZEhhcqP9tYyj_mr5N3qccplIR3s

Yes airbridge should only be active if IOM has a structured travel Policy, the Guernsey system is tried and tested and could be adopted.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

As I stated previously if air bridge is reinstated we will either have to have similar border policies or accept the great Manx public mixing with UK & Jersey visitors who may have done zero isolation depending on which region they traveled from.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-minister-hopeful-for-guernsey-air-bridge-restart/?fbclid=IwAR2dGS8G-wcjlWwqMPUve_-3ALg6k3V4ZEhhcqP9tYyj_mr5N3qccplIR3s

Congratulations on 500 successive posts referencing the Channel Islands-  bewildering obsession.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Yes, where is the demand for an air bridge to guernsey? Certainly not from the general public.....it’s the age old haves and have nots scenario.  Those with the money and those who shout the loudest get what they want..........

It ended in fiasco last time. Both governments lost their nerves at the smallest hint of trouble. 3 plane loads of poor buggers got ejected back here and treated like infected zombies. I day in Guernsey 14 days isolation at home. Not for me. I don't trust them. Either of them.

Edited by Happier diner