IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

35 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's pubs restaurants etc that matter.  Most people are ignoring the "cant see each other " bit anyway.  No reason to keep these closed and stop lifestyle businesses from working. 

This is a common sense issue. If they open them this weekend, perhaps outdoor only, or early closing, it will allow people back in a controlled manner. Next weekend is payday weekend. If they open up then, it will be like "black eye Friday". If they leave it until the week after, it is a bank holiday weekend, and be even worse. 

I think it would be safer to open them this weekend. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This has the hallmark of another of Ashford's 'stories' where he blows up an isolated incident or two into something terribly important.  It also looked like a planted question because he was so well prepared for it. 

Interestingly he was careful to say he wasn't sure how many of the cancellations had re-booked as that wasn't possible to tell from the system.  Of course in any remotely capable system you could, so I suspect he just wanted another dramatic headline and not to examine what was going on too closely.

The number given of 400 looks suspiciously high when you consider how many people would be booked in at any particular time and I suspect most of them are people rescheduling appointments over a much longer period.  But that wouldn't give Ashford a chance to sound reassuring and statesmanlike.

There have been a few planted questions of late in my opinion, I have noticed the answers appear to what you would think were obscure questions, but no Professor Ashford has the answers to hand,  and they were from Helen at IOM newspapers iirc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

This is a common sense issue. If they open them this weekend, perhaps outdoor only, or early closing, it will allow people back in a controlled manner. Next weekend is payday weekend. If they open up then, it will be like "black eye Friday". If they leave it until the week after, it is a bank holiday weekend, and be even worse. 

The problem with outside only is, unlike England, the date hasn’t been trailed for months. No one has built additional beer garden/outside space. It’ll be interesting to see how they deescalate from next Monday and whether there’ll be capacity limits, mask and distance recommendations 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The problem with outside only is, unlike England, the date hasn’t been trailed for months. No one has built additional beer garden/outside space. It’ll be interesting to see how they deescalate from next Monday and whether there’ll be capacity limits, mask and distance recommendations 

My prediction:

Full opening Monday. 

Schools, businesses, pubs, shops, the lot & no masks.

It’s how they roll.

At 11.59am Sunday 18th April 2021, Covid will vanish from our Island.

• Like 1

I had presumed the nod around face coverings and social distancing was referring to how we will likely go through the likes of Winter or Flu season where the expectation is that there will be some variant of virus cutting around.

I have to say I don't think its a bad thing at all, just as long as the IOMG don't get any silly ideas of bringing in Circuit breakers every year. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This has been discussed at some length on here (most recently four pages back in this very thread) and Rachel Glover did a calculation in her coffee break one morning in February that came up with a rough figure of £10.50 for consumables and £8.25 for staff time.  The latter was probably an over-estimate as it was based on only 60 tests a day.

Of course you can pile as many overheads on that as you want, but you're not going to knock down part of the lab if there are no tests to be done are you?

I wasnt suggesting you pile overheads on or anything like that. I was just saying that the true test cost is much higher if you DO include all the overheads..like buying the test machine...maintaining your test machine....having a spare test machine....paying all the staff and their overheads..whatever the lab space is, you can't just say well I had the space anyway. Someone who didnt  run a business might think that way.

The commercial cost of a private pcr test is anywhere between £99 and £450. Of course these commercial operations have to recoup all their costs and make a profit. I'm not seeing many do it for £20. It's a bit like saying the cost of a journey in a car is only the cost of the fuel. The reality is that the other costs outweigh the fuel. However if you give a mate a lift you would look mean if you charged him the depreciation on the car😁

Whoever though of the £50 clearly didn't seek to recoup all the costs or make a profit. It was probably a guesstimate that seemed resonable. I have no issue with that just explaining how difficult it is to charge a real costs as there are ethical things to consider not just costs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Of course it would.  But they won't.

15 minutes ago, immortalpuppet said:

I had presumed the nod around face coverings and social distancing was referring to how we will likely go through the likes of Winter or Flu season where the expectation is that there will be some variant of virus cutting around.

I have to say I don't think its a bad thing at all, just as long as the IOMG don't get any silly ideas of bringing in Circuit breakers every year. 

I think he was referring to when borders open in near future that we are expecting cases and if it is required then masks & SD may be needed to help control.

33 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My prediction:

Full opening Monday. 

It’s how they roll.

And they can step out of our lives....well for a week or two anyway!

Does this mean if you land in Heathrow, you can travel onwards to IOM on same day or following day, without having to undergo the UK testing regime ?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/568/regulation/5

3B.[F2(1) This regulation applies to a person (“P”) specified in regulation 3AA(1) who—

(a)intends to remain in England for two days or more after the day of their arrival; or

(b)intended to remain in England for less than two days after the day of their arrival but in fact remains in England for two days or more.]

Edited by snowman

2 hours ago, Banker said:

From what Howard said Monday we’re going to a testing scheme based on region you travel from ie copying Channel Islands 

I cannot see this working for the IOM. Since there is no way of knowing whether a person arriving here has come from the UK or, say, red zone. A person arriving from Gatwick would surely not be treated as having arrived from England.

2 hours ago, Escape Artist said:

As a transit traveller you don't have to do the Covid tests or register an UK address.

I am surprised that anyone got away with that. When you travel on to the IOM you have to pass out into the airport and then back via security. In this sense the concept of being a "transit passenger" surely does not apply.

Let's hope someone asks at one of the press briefings.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

My prediction:

Full opening Monday. 

It’s how they roll.

Ghod - I hope you're right.  This fiasco has gone on for too long already.

• Like 1