IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

Howard has already clearly indicated that the next border review would be at the end of August.

Meanwhile we’re stuck with our “closed borders” and our unpoliced and yet claimed completely robust travel permit scheme and voluntary self isolation policy instead of actually testing and tracking people. Mad. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitor-jailed-for-breaking-self-isolation-rules/

Edited by thesultanofsheight

22 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Meanwhile we’re stuck with our “closed borders” and our unpoliced and yet claimed completely robust travel permit scheme and voluntary self isolation policy instead of actually testing and tracking people. Mad. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/visitor-jailed-for-breaking-self-isolation-rules/

And with our current system being so good one would assume all travelling on said bus have been contacted & are now in the throws of a 14 day self isolation period along with the locksmith & anyone this person may have come near?

Didn’t think so. Joke of a policy.

Just now, Nom de plume said:

And with our current system being so good one would assume all travelling on said bus have been contacted & are now in the throws of a 14 day self isolation period along with the locksmith & anyone this person may have come near?

You and Banker are becoming a bit of a joke. You fail to understand reality. Let me pu it this way. ISLE OF MAN IS DOING VERY WELL.. WE WILL EASE BORDER RESTRICTIONS WHEN THE INFECTION LEVELS  IN THE ADJACENT ISLES IS AT A LEVEL WE ARE HAPPY TO MOVE FORWARD WITH. 

You seem to think all is well in the land of milk and honey. So go! Nothing stopping you. Never has been.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You and Banker are becoming a bit of a joke. You fail to understand reality. Let me pu it this way. ISLE OF MAN IS DOING VERY WELL.. WE WILL EASE BORDER RESTRICTIONS WHEN THE INFECTION LEVELS  IN THE ADJACENT ISLES IS AT A LEVEL WE ARE HAPPY TO MOVE FORWARD WITH. 

You seem to think all is well in the land of milk and honey. So go! Nothing stopping you. Never has been.  

Do you understand the implications of my above post?

Do you believe there is an effective track & trace policy?

Do you believe all contacts with this woman have been followed up?

We could have a load of asymptomatic cases here already but we don’t test so we’ll not know. Ignorance is bliss - genius.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The only joke around here is you , you post rubbish with no facts when someone else posts facts you either ignore them or say gutter press.

you are obviously another public servant sucking at the tax payers teats.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Capitalized ranting is never a good look. Shout it enough some daft folk might believe you. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

whilst I don't necessarily agree with your lift the borders comments. I do agree that what we currently have is a crock of shit. Vast numbers of people arriving on the island and doing what the hell they like. Plod slap themselves on the back when they catch the odd one or two. Either police it properly or lift the borders

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Well this is exactly the point. It seems to be easy to dupe people and most gullible people in the IOM seem to be happy to hear that the borders are closed and that everyone has to do 14 days self isolation by law and believe that is the key to our success when it’s very clear that they aren’t closed and that many aren’t self isolating either so pretty much it’s mostly luck we’ve dodged the bullet so far. It is only a matter of time before covid comes back here and most MHKs and health experts will freely tell you that. I find it very hard to believe that people can’t understand that a move to testing has to be made. The natural byproduct of that testing is that self isolation times can then also reduce which will assist more freer travel. How is a controlled and tested 7 days or so worse than a totally untested and voluntary 14 days which hardly anyone checks up on? In that link above it’s clear the only way she was found was being shopped by the neighbours. Not checked on or monitored by the police, or any other health agency. There are over 600 people a week coming here as it is and they can’t possibly patrol it other than via testing and tracing. So what would be the issue of 2,000 coming here a week tested? The fact seems to be that we can’t be arsed doing it as that would involve some effort rather than the army of crazed curtain twitchers who are actually doing governments job at the moment as it has half the population completely scared into a state of total panic about outsiders bringing in the death virus. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

whilst I don't necessarily agree with your lift the borders comments. 

I haven’t made any lift the border comments. The borders are already pretty much open which anyone with half a brain can see. We just need to get testing in and shorten isolation times which allows more people to come and go in a better monitored and controlled process. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I haven’t made any lift the border comments. The borders are already pretty much open which anyone with half a brain can see. We just need to get testing in and shorten isolation times which allows more people to come and go. 

Indeed, I saw a car from Hong Kong up at B&Q today!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Indeed, I saw a car from Hong Kong up at B&Q today!

Sadly the covid crazies are still all in doors posting their unrelenting fears and paranoia on social media. They don’t seem to be out and about seeing what’s actually going on. The borders are closed ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

whilst I don't necessarily agree with your lift the borders comments. I do agree that what we currently have is a crock of shit. Vast numbers of people arriving on the island and doing what the hell they like. Plod slap themselves on the back when they catch the odd one or two. Either police it properly or lift the borders

Agree.

Would love to know how Plods investigations into the visiting care home executives from Jersey are going?

Got the feeling our high powered politicos, and would like this case to quietly disappear, then it doesn’t need to be swept under that lumpy carpet. If they were here, it would probably be dropped anywhere

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

There are over 600 people a week coming here as it is

This is very true, but there are currently five flights a week from Guernsey, all full (bar one or two seats in total until the end of the scheduled flights) so depending on the aircraft operating the route that could be anywhere from 350 - 600 people who aren’t required to do any self-isolation or subject to any random checks. (Not all airport arrivals are banned from buses - those arriving on flights from guernsey ARE allowed to get on buses & all other means of public transport )
So just what are all the contact tracing or random check team spending their time doing?

And can IOM gov and the police please stop calling it a ‘border’ - the IOM does not have a border - it is inside the common travel area and has ports - an airport and a seaport . There is no ‘border’ for sailings originating in Liverpool, Heysham, Belfast, or Dublin, nor for any flight originating anywhere in the UK, the Irish republic, or Channel Islands - The only time there is any ‘border’ is if flights/cruise ships arrive directly in the IOM from destinations outside the UK and CTA.

Not sure what the “border force” does either!

(rant over)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 7:46 AM, thesultanofsheight said:

Over 600 people a week (not all residents as claimed either) coming here under a voluntary self isolation system which is largely un-policed. --Why do you still mistakenly think that the borders are closed and that’s what’s actually protecting you? The people you quote above are generally suggesting that a real system involving testing and tracking rather than an illusionary system of self compliance with cursory back-up checks being performed is introduced. The link above shows how that system is being abused too and those are only the known cases where people haven’t complied and I bet in almost every case they were shopped by neighbours and friends not actually discovered breaking the rules by the police. The upside of testing and tracking would be shorter quarantine periods as well. It’s the only logical way forward if government stopped listening to the ‘build a wall’ covid crackpots.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:24 PM, winnie said:

The average deaths in the uk have really dropped to a very low level. 11 deaths in one day is the same rate as one death on the IOM in 10 weeks!!!! Yes, the infection rate looks fairly high, but less than 700 are in hospital at the moment being treated, which is the equivalent of less than one person on the IOM. Perhaps the virus has got weaker? Open the borders and test all people coming in. Isolate for 4 days, re-test and providing it's clear i think it's fairly safe to crack on with normal life.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:12 PM, Nom de plume said:

And with our current system being so good one would assume all travelling on said bus have been contacted & are now in the throws of a 14 day self isolation period along with the locksmith & anyone this person may have come near? Didn’t think so. Joke of a policy.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, Banker said:

[. . .] you are obviously another public servant sucking at the tax payers teats.

On 8/19/2020 at 9:54 PM, Southfork said:

Sadly the covid crazies are still all in doors posting their unrelenting fears and paranoia on social media. They don’t seem to be out and about seeing what’s actually going on. The borders are closed ;)

To reply to the "thesultanofsheight" (top quote).

According to the piece of Manx News you pointed out, there are currently 600 incoming travellers per week, or 85.71 per day.

Currently, Covid-19 prevalence in the UK is about 1/2,200. It means that it takes 25.67 days for having one sole event of incoming Covid-19 carrier; the result of this simple calculation: 1 / (85.71 / 2,200).

You will have your own ideas on the chances of a Covid-19 carrier escaping detection and restarting the pandemic in the island. With a 20% chance (a likely overestimation if proper testing and tracing were to be in place) it would take about 25.67 / 20% = 128 days (4 months and 1 week) for the damn bug to start circulating again in the IOM community.

Personally, I can’t do quarantine and I don’t want my name to appear on the wall of shame of the local press. The corollary proposition is that I am de facto prevented from travelling; if you see another solution please let me know. In that sense, the border is de facto closed for me; unless I were to relocate from the island.

As a further observation, I think that you, some others MF members posting on this thread, and the IOM government, are truly underestimating the consequences of not having free travel between the isle and the UK. Please understand that for some business and certain kinds of people, if the isle is cut off from the UK, then the isle is simply not viable. You may not understand the reasons, but that is simply how it is.

A few months of isolation from the world can be bearable if the accident is seen as an isolated event. But if there starts to be a concern that the travel restrictions may be a recurrence in the future, then, many will not want to be located here. If government policies are targeted to the very old, to the unhealthy, to the pussies on welfare and to the other kinds of government parasites, then for some business and for those who can’t renounce their freedoms the isle is not viable.

Edited by Black Mirror
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1