IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 hours ago, Debbie said:

Can you mention a sole country where you can't go because of Brexit specifically?

The kind of "free movement" wanted (or condoned) by supporters of the European Union is the free movement of scroungers: those who, having never lived in any of the British isles, they turn out one day, and from day one they claim all the rights enjoyed by the British born or long time residents.

The free movement of those who pay their way hasn't been disallowed by Brexit.

Straight from the Daily Mail .

Congrats

• Like 4

The online advert for today’s Manx Independent identifies that the former headteacher of RGS is expressing views on border controls and that the lady herself, Ms. Baker, is ‘frustrated beyond belief’ at government’s inaction. Are retired teachers an acknowledged source of expert comment on Covid-related border closures? Why is this person being quoted? Were they approached for a view or simply volunteer it? If the latter, do you think IOMN would be interested in my butcher’s views on funding the Island’s heritage sites, about which he speaks articulately. My next door neighbour’s grandson, who is a painter and decorator, speaks fluently and with passion about what he sees as beneficial revisions to the IOMFA and the general administration of football on the Island. Perhaps I should encourage him to make these views public via the printed media.

Or is Ms. Baker planning on ‘doing a Moorhouse’ and running for Keys in the late summer so welcomes this curious publicity?

Whatever, I think IOMN should continue to follow up on this ‘random retired person speaks on a topic of public policy’ approach and now ask a recently retired garden centre employee for their thoughts on revisions to the social security regime. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The online advert for today’s Manx Independent identifies that the former headteacher of RGS is expressing views on border controls and that the lady herself, Ms. Baker, is ‘frustrated beyond belief’ at government’s inaction. Are retired teachers an acknowledged source of expert comment on Covid-related border closures? Why is this person being quoted? Were they approached for a view or simply volunteer it? If the latter, do you think IOMN would be interested in my butcher’s views on funding the Island’s heritage sites, about which he speaks articulately. My next door neighbour’s grandson, who is a painter and decorator, speaks fluently and with passion about what he sees as beneficial revisions to the IOMFA and the general administration of football on the Island. Perhaps I should encourage him to make these views public via the printed media.

Or is Ms. Baker planning on ‘doing a Moorhouse’ and running for Keys in the late summer so welcomes this curious publicity?

Whatever, I think IOMN should continue to follow up on this ‘random retired person speaks on a topic of public policy’ approach and now ask a recently retired garden centre employee for their thoughts on revisions to the social security regime. 

she became a voice on the subject while Head Teacher at RGS ? I think then (whilst professionalism might have been a factor) her stance was based on keeping staff etc who had family in the UK. 

Now its just on those coat tails of being previously very vocal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Govt statement just issued on the death of someone who had received the vaccination last week.

States Coroner still to determine cause of death. No doubt DA will be asked later more about that but surely patient confidentiality and family privacy consideration should (have) been given.

14 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

In bingo today can I have “stepping out of your lives” or something along this variation certainly “stepping out” so all the blame can be put on the great Manx Public

I going for a real stab in the dark. I think hes gonna say "You know what Moulton. I'm sick of your stupid rumours and lack of respect - F Off away. You're barred" Then he'll say "but I'll pass you onto our director of public health for her view"  and she'll say " I have nothing to add Chief Minister. You explained that very well and I agree with what you say..............................Thank you"

I think I'll be half right at least

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hopes and dreams for 16:00

No more cases - all restrictions gone from Monday.  We can visit friends and family in their home’s from tomorrow.

A clear explanation of the planned route forward and explain to people that if a few cases get in the current level of vaccination makes it manageable.

Announce today that if there is no major disaster over the next two weeks then borders open May 1st with a test on arrival from UK and no isolation if it is negative.  A further test a few days later like CI.

Very clearly publish a figure that the UK needs to stay below before that is reviewed, and what that review would look like.  It should be a percentage of tests returned positive.  Not a “case” per head of population figure which is variable dependant of levels of testing.

Announce mass surveillance testing on island and exactly what it will look like.  Incorporate rapid tests and flow tests.  Publish exactly what levels in the population are acceptable and then exactly what measures come in at preset detection rates.  These should be on a sliding scale as the levels of protection from vaccines ramp up.

Explain EXACTLY what would need to occur for any further lockdown to be implemented so we are all forewarned.

Announce the new dashboard which will incorporate all the info above and which went live at 16:00 today.

How much of that will happen? Probably none.  We will be none the wiser by 17:00 other than knowing that in their tiny little minds the perceived risk which means we still can’t go to work, visit family, have to wear a mask to go to Spar will magically disappear at 23:59 on Sunday evening.

Weeks and months they have had to prepare.  Let’s see what they are made of.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Were they approached for a view or simply volunteer it?

Like all teachers I know, annette baker (lower case, as is the way these days) does not volunteer her views. She imposes them.

Once a teacher always a teacher.

My observations are that a lifetime teaching childher gives one an inflated sense of power and importance that does not always carry well into 'normal' life.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, trmpton said:

No more cases - all restrictions gone from Monday.  We can visit friends and family in their home’s from tomorrow.

A clear explanation of the planned route forward and explain to people that if a few cases get in the current level of vaccination makes it manageable.

Announce today that if there is no major disaster over the next two weeks then borders open with a test on arrival from UK and no isolation of it is negative.  A further test a few days later like CI.

Very clearly publish a figure that the Uk needs to stay below before that is reviewed, and what that review would look like.  It should be a percentage of tests returned positive.  Not a “case” per head of population figure which is variable dependant of levels of testing.

Announce mass surveillance testing on island and exactly what it will look like.  Incorporate rapid tests and flow tests.  Publish exactly what levels in the population are acceptable and then exactly what measures come in at preset detection rates.  These should be on a sliding scale as the levels of protection from cavies ramp up.

Explain EXACTLY what would need to occur for any further lockdown to be implemented so we are all forewarned.

Announce the new dashboard which will incorporate all the info above and which went live at 16:00 today.

how much of that will happen? Probably none.  We will be none the wiser by 17:00 other than knowing that in their tiny little minds the perceived risk which means we still can’t go to work, visit family, have to wear a mask to go to Spar app magically disappear at 23:59 on Sunday evening.

weeks and months they have had to prepare.  Let’s see what they are made of.

wow your optimistic, i have got any other further than 'Fester May' (yes is spelled it wrong on purpose) and 'Over you......................................David'

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Chief said:

wow your optimistic, i have got any other further than 'Fester May' (yes is spelled it wrong on purpose) and 'Over you......................................David'

Yep.  They will be stood in front of the mirror now practicing their wanky Manx greeting and preparing to basque in the limelight of all the Karen’s who want us COVID free and closed boarders.

They will be so happy that we are soon one of only a handful of places with the much sought COVID free badge.

We will smirk smugly at people in the Uk and Channel Islands where they aren’t COVID free, but where there won’t actually be many ill or in hospital.

We will laugh as their tourist industry’s have one of the best seasons in living memory, and think them foolhardy and reckless for letting their residents mix with their families who live further than 30 miles away.

In a year or so our population will have dwindled and our tourism sector will be stuffed.  People will have either become seriously mentally ill or left in order to see loved ones.

Howard will have sailed off into the sunset as the man who kept us all safe from COVID (despite a number of monumental screwups) but who destroyed the economy and our mental health.

I really hope I am posting again in an hour or so saying I was wrong and how impressed I am with their detailed and clear plan.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

I have also suspected she will be declaring her candidacy shortly.

She has been silent on twitter over the last two weeks, but prior to that has been very vocal on opening Borders and testing. However, told by many, on how her proposals have big holes and would let the virus through. 

59 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Announce today that if there is no major disaster over the next two weeks then borders open May 1st with a test on arrival from UK and no isolation if it is negative.  A further test a few days later like CI.

Very clearly publish a figure that the UK needs to stay below before that is reviewed, and what that review would look like.  It should be a percentage of tests returned positive.  Not a “case” per head of population figure which is variable dependant of levels of testing.

Announce mass surveillance testing on island and exactly what it will look like.  Incorporate rapid tests and flow tests.  Publish exactly what levels in the population are acceptable and then exactly what measures come in at preset detection rates.  These should be on a sliding scale as the levels of protection from vaccines ramp up.

How much of that will happen? Probably none.  We will be none the wiser by 17:00 other than knowing that in their tiny little minds the perceived risk which means we still can’t go to work, visit family, have to wear a mask to go to Spar will magically disappear at 23:59 on Sunday evening.

You are still harbouring foolish notions that some 15 months into the pandemic, they have formulated some kind of 'a plan'.

They've only just decided to assemble a body of patsy's who'll form the Emergency Advisory Group to take the bullets when their latest cock up inevitably manifests ...

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So you’re expecting a forward looking plan like the Channel Islands have!!