IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

That smile at the end almost makes me want to cry,

And then I remember how much money he's getting for doing what he does, badly.

Howard Quayle and David Ashford are sometimes too ridiculous to be real; their briefings are a pantomime act and it is so easy to mock them.

One has to recognize that there has been a gradient of improvement in the most recent speeches of Quayle, once he has realized and started to openly admit that the island has to transition from a policy of zero covid to learning to live with the virus; sooner rather than later. The take-away from Thursday speech is precisely that.

It is a welcome improvement; at last.

• Like 1

I’ve referred to both HQ & DA as buffoons in the past here. I should clarify they are certainly buffoonesque in their Govt. ministerial capacities BUT on a personal level they are actually very nice guys.

I’ve met them both & they are genuinely amiable, chirpy & decent blokes.

Which I guess is the problem we’ve always had here.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ve referred to both HQ & DA as buffoons in the past here. I should clarify they are certainly buffoonesque in their Govt. ministerial capacities BUT on a personal level they are actually very nice guys.

I’ve met them both & they are genuinely amiable, chirpy & decent blokes.

The govt and civil service well tested 'Peter Principle' in action:

The Peter Principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn a promotion to a position that requires different skills. ... If the person is competent in the new role, they will be promoted again and will continue to be promoted until reaching a level at which they are incompetent.

ETA: Commonsense might have dictated that the best person qualified to handle the health department during a pandemic which is killing IOM residents - might just have been the doctor dumped into the education department instead. Duh!

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, HQ referred to a reduction in isolation requirements when ‘we’ reopen our borders at the start of May.

What are we saying people, 7 days?

Test on entry, passive surveillance on negative result & further day 7 test? Isolate if positive?

UK 7 day rolling new infection rate at 28 per 100,000

UCL claiming (though contested) that herd immunity was reached last Monday in the U.K. 

Edited by Nom de plume

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

The govt and civil service well tested 'Peter Principle' in action:

The Peter Principle states that a person who is competent at their job will earn a promotion to a position that requires different skills. ... If the person is competent in the new role, they will be promoted again and will continue to be promoted until reaching a level at which they are incompetent.

My experience within a brief spell in Govt. furnished me with the belief that promotions are rewarded by years served not suitability or competency in the role.

Ergo, the shite, not necessarily the cream, can rise to the top.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

My experience within a brief spell in Govt. furnished me with the belief that promotions are rewarded by years served not suitability or competency in the role.

Wouldn't disagree with that either - I have had similar direct experiences with them over the years.

One of my best friends and a great mentor, who has now sadly passed away, left me with two great pieces of advice in business:

1. You don't get paid for f%$#ing about.

2. A fool and his money are easily parted - so always go for those government contracts whenever you can.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Escape Artist said:

Howard Quayle and David Ashford are sometimes too ridiculous to be real; their briefings are a pantomime act and it is so easy to mock them.

And who is this Anna Flaxis Howard keeps mentioning?

Needs to practice his pronunciation.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And who is this Anna Flaxis Howard keeps mentioning?

Needs to practice his pronunciation.

Anna Flaxis is cheeef statishun in the Treshry. She’s very clever as she’s only fut-teen.

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Anyway, HQ referred to a reduction in isolation requirements when ‘we’ reopen our borders at the start of May.

What are we saying people, 7 days?

Test on entry, passive surveillance on negative result & further day 7 test? Isolate if positive?

UK 7 day rolling new infection rate at 28 per 100,000

UCL claiming (though contested) that herd immunity was reached last Monday in the U.K. 

CoMin are being advised by Warwick university on modeling impacts but if we’re going for a traffic light system then it will depend on area coming from.

I would expect 7/10 days at start with 2 tests but reducing when we allow all visitors at about end May 

49 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Plenty of examples in the private sector of someone coming in at a low grade and fast tracking through the ranks because their ability determines where they should be.

For fear of sounding smug I did it myself after a career change.

If in my late thirties I had applied for an admin job in IOM Government and proven myself to be more capable than some of those who had a twenty year head start would I have ever caught up and overtaken them? Doubt it.  Jobs for the boys yessir and it doesn’t matter how thick they are.

In fact it often seems the thicker the better, and a bonus if they have no experience working in the real world where you have to actually justify your position with tangible returns.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Irrelevant to his job.   If he gets anything there it'll happen regardless of his position.

You sound a tad jealous.

his take from government coffers is more than 88k  was my point.  plenty of folks would be happy to pay him 88k to never be seen again.

Edited by Pipsqueak