IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

do we just rely on honesty? 

If we do that, then, as usual, it's the minority of dishonest people who will undoubtedly spoil things for the rest of us.

Slapping them with a fine will not do much good if they've already been half way round all the Island's pubs, etc...

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

That person might bring COVID back.  HQ has told us that already (not that he needed to)

Its no big deal.  Enough are vaccinated are that the downsides of border restrictions now outweigh the benefits of keeping all infections out.

I also thing if the general public had more details of the "what, 20 in Nobles" there would be less panic.

How old were they? Were they vaccinated? Why were they in hospital?

They did conform in a couple of briefings that they weren't all in because of COVID but should have gone further IMO.

Weren't they going to recast the mortality figures to show "with" and "from" covid?

I said way back that the fear factor was necessary at the outset to gain compliance with measures against a virus with uncertain effects.  That fear has to be turned off now, and that is a massive challenge. 

To help in turning off fear, it may help if other stats were produced to show what other causes of death have been to bring proportionality.  Not just here, but more widely.  Again, that will be a toughie because it may reveal some unpalatable truths about how lockdowns have been handled. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Weren't they going to recast the mortality figures to show "with" and "from" covid?

I said way back that the fear factor was necessary at the outset to gain compliance with measures against a virus with uncertain effects.  That fear has to be turned off now, and that is a massive challenge. 

To help in turning off fear, it may help if other stats were produced to show what other causes of death have been to bring proportionality.  Not just here, but more widely.  Again, that will be a toughie because it may reveal some unpalatable truths about how lockdowns have been handled. 

When you’ve got waiting lists of 4.7 million for operations, that should tell everyone, everything they need to know about this.

That’s only scratching the surface of what is to come.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm led to believe this is exactly what we'll be doing.

There will be a few more speeches from HQ, DA & HE to try & win 'hearts & minds' before the bombshell is dropped. There has been substantial lobbying from business leaders behind the scenes to have restrictions eased.

We might be a couple of weeks behind the Channel Islands but by the end of May we should be down to test on entry (cost TBA) and release on negative test within 12 - 24 hours.

Yes should be first changes announced this week, you will always get some like Cambon saying it won’t happen, should be delayed until everyone & his dog are vaccinated but it’s happening and those who don’t like it stay away from people 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm led to believe this is exactly what we'll be doing.

There will be a few more speeches from HQ, DA & HE to try & win 'hearts & minds' before the bombshell is dropped. There has been substantial lobbying from business leaders behind the scenes to have restrictions eased.

We might be a couple of weeks behind the Channel Islands but by the end of May we should be down to test on entry (cost TBA) and release on negative test within 12 - 24 hours.

I still don't see the point in testing and quarantine here. Jersey has a good few international flights most days. We only have flights from England (and possibly Ireland again sometime). If international quarantine is being imposed by England, we should have totally unhindered travel. 

I mean, if you travel from Cornwall with low cases, to London with higher cases and variants, you don't have to get tested or quarantine when you get back to Cornwall! We are getting there with the vaccines. It is approaching the time we need to trust it. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes should be first changes announced this week, you will always get some like Cambon saying it won’t happen, should be delayed until everyone & his dog are vaccinated but it’s happening and those who don’t like it stay away from people 

See above post. You don't half talk some crap! 

31 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To help in turning off fear, it may help if other stats were produced to show what other causes of death have been to bring proportionality.  Not just here, but more widely.  

Amongst the 2000+ pages on this thread I’ve probably said this before, but average daily UK deaths are about 1500.  They’re now down to 30 from or with covid. 

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Amongst the 2000+ pages on this thread I’ve probably said this before, but average daily UK deaths are about 1500.  They’re now down to 30 from or with covid. 

What is it here? For 'normal' death? Seems remarkably difficult to find out. A bit over 1000 a year, 3 a day?

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

Three of four weeks ago we had what, 20 in Nobles? Although it’s obviously great to be opening up tomorrow, I still feel a bit uneasy that we should maybe wait until everyone over, I don’t know, 50 years old? is jabbed twice first. I hope I’m wrong, but I see Nobles under pressure in no time when ‘it’ arrives again. 

Yes, we’ll be living with Covid 19/21/21 etc etc, but fail to prepare and all that. 

Jesus wept.  You're serious right?

45 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I still don't see the point in testing and quarantine here. Jersey has a good few international flights most days. We only have flights from England (and possibly Ireland again sometime). If international quarantine is being imposed by England, we should have totally unhindered travel. 

I mean, if you travel from Cornwall with low cases, to London with higher cases and variants, you don't have to get tested or quarantine when you get back to Cornwall! We are getting there with the vaccines. It is approaching the time we need to trust it. 

Isolating until your first test comes back is basically unhindered travel, with the slight inconvenience of a measure to try and filter out some of the inevitable returning cases.

I think it would be a good compromise in the short term and easy enough to live with.  I normally have a hangover from hell when I come back anyway so a day in bed isn't the end of the world.

They really should be announcing this on Tuesday.  I still fear they will be overly cautious and bow to the opinions of those, who through governments own making, believe that cases equal piles of body bags.

Something positive needs to happen for sure, the situation in the UK is looking good enough to allow a fair bit more travel, but just cos it's got better recently doesn't mean anything is over.

The GLOBAL pandemic is still raging in parts of the world, case rates are as high as they've ever been, deaths aren't that far behind. It is a long way from finished.

I'm pretty critical of doomers, and really don't want to sound like one, but people are fooling themselves if they think this is the end.

• Like 8