IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, indeed.  Businesses were asked to voluntarily do the right thing on that Saturday, but they didn't have the data to support a lockdown so why ask people to give up income? 

Do you know, I am sure I turned that light on.

But they gave the go ahead for a 200 person wedding,already started & the bridge in Laxey & the small one in Peel went ahead.

The worst thing was sending schools & offices etc in on  the Tuesday whilst Tynwald were sitting virtually because of the risk and announcing the lockdown!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The Hon. Member for Douglas Central (Mr Thomas) to ask the Chief Minister –
What evidence Council of Ministers has which other Tynwald members and the public do not have when it makes decisions regarding the Borders and Stay Responsible policy frameworks and the Government’s approach to living with COVID-19 and in considering the risks and different scenarios arising from the evolving local and global COVID-19 pandemic situations?

If that’s the actual wording of the question, it’s way too confusing and convoluted to elicit a straight answer. Way too much wriggle room  

who am I trying to kid? Straight answer? 😂😂😂

but my point still stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

But they gave the go ahead for a 200 person wedding,already started & the bridge in Laxey & the small one in Peel went ahead.

The worst thing was sending schools & offices etc in on  the Tuesday whilst Tynwald were sitting virtually because of the risk and announcing the lockdown!

Did they give the go ahead, or just ask for hospitality to close, if everyone didn't mind and could see their way to? 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

You might say that now. But what you said at the time was: 

On 2/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, Banker said:

Well thank god Howie has decided to ignore the doom merchants for once and let the economy try & recover, much better from Howie!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, pongo said:

You might say that now. But what you said at the time was: 

2 different days when we weren’t given full information! What a loser spending time scrolling back over my old posts , must be a deranged fan😂

Prepare your bunker should be some news on borders today!!

Edited by Banker

On 4/6/2021 at 9:15 PM, Filippo said:

I am back in the isle; running in the glens and windy moorlands of its landscape. Not much else to do in my free time, thanks to… you know. The return journey was much less adventurous than the outbound odyssey of early January; an evening flight from Vienna to Heathrow (rescheduled two times), an overnight bus to Lancaster, a bus to Heysham, and the afternoon boat. – I had lost touch with this thread; and thus I skimmed a bit through the last few months to see what I have missed.

Here I have got some legal cookies for John Wright. And useful information for anyone who might be planning a journey to foreign lands in the current circumstances. UK government web pages (1st pic below) state that all international arrivals have to quarantine and pre-book two Covid tests to be released later. The BBC web-page (2nd pic) was much on the same tune. Realising that the UK locator form mainly reflects the rules of England and it is not mutually consistent with the rules of the devolved administrations and other jurisdictions of the British isles, I poured through the details of "The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel) (England) Regulations" in force since last June as a "statutory instrument" (meaning that it was passed with no effective parliament supervision). The text of that "law" (wanting to dignify it with that epithet) is 94 pages long (some relevant excerpts are shown in 3rd and 4th pics below). My conclusion had been that as a transit traveller my UK locator form did not need to specify a UK quarantine address nor the pre-booking (and pre-payment) of the Covid tests.

Unfortunately, when my paperwork was checked at Heathrow, the woman police officer 
going through it, after asking for passport, pre-travel Covid test etc, started going through my UK locator form (which I had on my laptop) much more carefully than I had expected and took the position that I still had to to take the two Covid tests: “every traveller to the UK needs them”. When the argument started, she said "show me the law" in a challenging tone and thus, imagine me holding in front of her face a laptop and scrolling down all of the above mentioned documents and legal stuff while trying to convince her.

Unable to either accept or refute my legal arguments and other justifications, she went first to fetch a colleague at a nearby desk and then a supervisor; the whole argument going on for about a quarter of an hour with the three of them. The supervisor said that the mentioned law was from last June; now superseded by the January instrument requiring the two Covid tests. No I said: the January instrument introduced the requirement of having two Covid tests for all inbound travellers quarantining in England; but it DID NOT abrogate the June legislation, which still stands. Finally, the three of them found a book of police internal guidance on these matters; after a bit of skimming through it, the same police woman started saying "I think he is right…" and her two colleagues nodded it through tacitly. The whole argument with them had not been animose or unpleasant. Before I departed, I had though what a nut I am for spending time on the details of the damn Covid legislation (which I hate and despise all of it). I am capable to prepare my recklessness; the fundamental difference between me and the jet-skier.

Now, to your regret perhaps, I decided to omit all the bit about my dealing with the authorities of this island on my returning here. My reporting of the January trip (cf. my posting to this thread on the 21st of January) had also to be sanitised after some reflection (it omits all the bits of when I had to cut trough the woods to cross an international border). But it was all worth; I had a truly fab month in the Swiss alps and my yearly reboot, like every other winter.

Travel advice update.

whilst Fillippo’s advice is technically correct it may mislead because it ignores the practicalities.

1. you can book and pay for your 3 Manx tests in advance. They’ll even issue a letter confirming.

2. if you use the correct e-mail address NHS Test & Trace & Routing and they’ll issue an e-mail confirming you can transit on from UK to IOM, CI or IRL without the need for UK tests.

info@email.enquiries.test-and-trace.nhs.uk 

The problem comes at the foreign airport as the ground handling crew and any budget airline ( which only operate point to point ) may not  board you  without proof of purchase of the 2 UK tests. 

2 reasons. They’ve never heard of the IOM and the airlines have to return passengers without paid for tests and pay fines for bringing them to the UK.

You may get lucky. You may have a through ticket booked with BA and on through Logan Air.

Or someone at either end may be persuadable. But there are lots of reports of Irish and Man travellers being refused boarding at the start of their homeward trip.

46 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Travel advice update.

whilst Fillippo’s advice is technically correct it may mislead because it ignores the practicalities.

1. you can book and pay for your 3 Manx tests in advance. They’ll even issue a letter confirming.

2. if you use the correct e-mail address NHS Test & Trace & Routing and they’ll issue an e-mail confirming you can transit on from UK to IOM, CI or IRL without the need for UK tests.

info@email.enquiries.test-and-trace.nhs.uk 

The problem comes at the foreign airport as the ground handling crew and any budget airline ( which only operate point to point ) may not  board you  without proof of purchase of the 2 UK tests. 

2 reasons. They’ve never heard of the IOM and the airlines have to return passengers without paid for tests and pay fines for bringing them to the UK.

You may get lucky. You may have a through ticket booked with BA and on through Logan Air.

Or someone at either end may be persuadable. But there are lots of reports of Irish and Man travellers being refused boarding at the start of their homeward trip.

Is the answer to simply purchase two UK tests which clearly you won't take?

How do you book a UK test?

Edited by TerryFuchwit

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Is the answer to simply purchase two UK tests which clearly you won't take?

How do you book a UK test?

1. Yes.

2. on line

3. you have to have a UK address and post code as they’re posted out. Use Heysham Harbour or Liverpool Pier Head.

4. to avoid issues later you must phone or e-mail UK NHS Test & Trace that you have left UK 

• Thanks 1