IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

i keep reading about how cheap chartering aircraft is at the moment it may be financially viable to charter a direct flight to EGNS than pay out approaching 2k to stay in a hotel in the uk and waste almost 2 weeks of your life.  do all incoming flights here  have to originate in the british isles ? this would avoid any confusion at a UK airport as to whether you have to quarantine there first or not or whether you are allowed to continue your journey.

What’s your idea of cheap? Pipsqueak? Even cheap it’s going to be more than most people’s annual salary.

You've missed the point. The hotel quarantine is for red zone departures. Amber, most of the world, certainly EU, doesn’t require 14 days hotel isolation it requires a pre travel PCR and a booked, paid for, PCR package in UK, for which you need an address. 

The legal position is clear. We can transit. Unfortunately “foreign” Check-In don’t know. So they won’t let you board.

Simplest and safest at present is to book the package and not use it.

The clusterfuck that Quayle and his minions have made in relation to the non-appearance on the Tynwald Order Paper of the vital Covid exit strategy motion/debate is covered rather well by two soundbite clips on MR's website news page. Listen to it. Quayle's clueless waffling, especially when lectured at by the huffing puffing President, is particularly embarrassing. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The clusterfuck that Quayle and his minions have made in relation to the non-appearance on the Tynwald Order Paper of the vital Covid exit strategy motion/debate is covered rather well by two soundbite clips on MR's website news page. Listen to it. Quayle's clueless waffling, especially when lectured at by the huffing puffing President, is particularly embarrassing. 

When Quayle is confronted with one of his clusterfucks, the flusterclucking begins.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What’s your idea of cheap? Pipsqueak? Even cheap it’s going to be more than most people’s annual salary.

You've missed the point. The hotel quarantine is for red zone departures. Amber, most of the world, certainly EU, doesn’t require 14 days hotel isolation it requires a pre travel PCR and a booked, paid for, PCR package in UK, for which you need an address. 

The legal position is clear. We can transit. Unfortunately “foreign” Check-In don’t know. So they won’t let you board.

Simplest and safest at present is to book the package and not use it.

i wasn't thinking of embraer 600 or a much smaller biz jet,  just a 4 or 6 seater prop plane something like a pa 24 or 28 ,  if 2 of you are travelling it could be worth it and no where near a years salary.

13 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Brilliant ,Howie was really put on the spot,someone in cabinet office in for a bollocking for not sending documents out!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

i wasn't thinking of embraer 600 or a much smaller biz jet,  just a 4 or 6 seater prop plane something like a pa 24 or 28 ,  if 2 of you are travelling it could be worth it and no where near a years salary.

There’d be fare paying passenger licensing restrictions on that size of plane. And you’re going to have to pay for the positioning trip to pick you up ( empty ) or return to origin ( empty ).

It depends how far you’re travelling. But any trip for 2 or 4 is going to cost much more than scheduled fare, two weeks in a hotel, and two weeks lost earnings, unless you’re in HNWI territory.

Ive explained the cheap work around. Spend a £100 each on the UK test package. 

But, assuming licensing wasn’t a problem, and you could get bargain rates, and say Sofia to IOM, 1500 miles each way, 160knts max speed. That’s 18 hours flying, 9 each way. £500 an hour would be a good price. You’ve got  refuelling stops out and return to build in as range is around 800- 1000 miles and pilot hours.

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Brilliant ,Howie was really put on the spot,someone in cabinet office in for a bollocking for not sending documents out!!!

The non-appearanc of papers is probably to stop Watterson or Callister posting on it facebook before the other members of Tynpot get to read it. If I was that person in the Cabinate office that would be my excuse.

Edited by Holte End
because I am illiterate

2 minutes ago, Holte End said:

The non-appearanc of papers is probably to stop Watterson or Callister posting on it facebook before the other members of Tynpot get to read it. If I was that person in the Cabinate office that would be my excuse.

Should be on later then 😀

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Zarley said:

When Quayle is confronted with one of his clusterfucks, the flusterclucking begins.

Good to know the island future in in safe hands.

Just photocopy what Guernsey are doing and get it signed off asap so we can plan stuff ffs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Obviously airport knows something, recruiting baggage handlers!! Already cry’s on Facebook for borders closed until end of year!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/recruitment-for-baggage-handlers-underway/

It's because borders are moving to open with a week isolation  and tests from early May.  Then at the end of June no restrictions at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

And if Watterson did do that - good.  It's completely bonkers that the public aren't allowed to see whatever is being proposed in a Tynwald motion before it is being debated.   We're not talking about people's personal details or top secret military information - we're talking about strategy.  I can't think of anything similar being done before.

I suspect the truth is that it is so incoherent, that they are afraid that any sort of independent scrutiny will cause it to be amended.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

They need time to adjust.

One cannot simply emerge from ones bunker and rejoin life & work at a normal pace.

A civil servant must ease there way back in over several months, perhaps years. The mere thought of a resumption to working hours has many signed off with stress.

Give them time, go easy on them.

I am a civil servant. I have been working my full hours, and then some, from home with remote access during lockdown. My partner, also a CS has been working 12-14 hour days and also doing stuff at the weekends, again at home with remote access. Please don’t tar us all with the same brush, the majority of us are conscientious and hard working. We are both back in the office this week.

Edited by Itsmeee
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And if Watterson did do that - good.  It's completely bonkers that the public aren't allowed to see whatever is being proposed in a Tynwald motion before it is being debated.   We're not talking about people's personal details or top secret military information - we're talking about strategy.  I can't think of anything similar being done before.

I suspect the truth is that it is so incoherent, that they are afraid that any sort of independent scrutiny will cause it to be amended.

It isn’t. They appear attached to agendas and supplemental agendas contemporaneously with distribution to members.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

we're talking about strategy.

Hahahahahahahah.  hahahahahahah

You think they have a strategy?  So far it seems to be to bury their heads in the sand and hope the rest of the world sort it out first so we can copy them after leaving our own residents unable to see family or even sensibly quarantine for over a year.

I need to get off island in the next few weeks - I cant put it off any longer and not resolving an issue in the UK is costing me a fortune every month (think storage of goods, that I need back here)

I still cant plan it, and as it stands if I go for a few days the only way to avoid the expense of having to rent more accommodation when I get back is for the rest of the household to travel to Heyshem on the boat before I came back and then come straight back with me so we can all isolate together.  Madness. 

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 3

The pitch fork mob seem to think that the only reason us selfish bastards want the borders open is because we want to go on our holidays. I have written off this year for holidays but I am desperate to see my family and it’s not practical to comply with the current Stalinist self isolation regime, whereby I would have to isolate away from my home. I think it’s heartless to keep people from their loved ones in this way. I was unable to go to my mother’s funeral when she died at the beginning of the pandemic because I wasn’t able to leave the island with any certainty that I could return at all at that point when the plague coaches were rolling in. 

• Like 7