IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

By the end of next week Jersey will have tested pretty much the entire number of people that live on the Isle of Man.

They can celebrate day 50 today opening their borders with a testing on entry policy. There are anywhere between 2,000 - 2,500 entering Jersey every day.

There are ZERO hospital admissions. We initially locked down to protect our NHS & essential services - people seem to have lost sight of this fact & have become obsessed with the improbable eradication of Covid.

I spoke with a gentleman yesterday who lives on Jersey but has several business interests here. Their Island is open & back to normal despite what some here might tell you. In his words “everything is back to how it was”. Businesses are recovering, hospitality & leisure sectors improving daily.

We continue to flounder & wait, CoMin seemingly paralyzed by fear. The time is rapidly approaching for the man in the Panama hat to shit or get off the pot.

D1D6697B-ADA1-4230-BAC7-F9DD9227D60B.png

1C2B68DC-3140-4625-9B5E-F47E71669660.jpeg

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Boats cancelled today...so how does social distancing work when they have to bring back 2 or 3 times the number of people booked to come back when the boats resume? Anyone know?

Number of people travelling is very low. 25-30 passengers only. Easily get 100 pin there with social distancing.

36 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Number of people travelling is very low. 25-30 passengers only. Easily get 100 pin there with social distancing.

Probably a few hundred this weekend as a lot of teachers away & coming back this weekend so 14 days isolation before schools start.

got the COVID number on speed dial in case I spot any quarantine breakers!!!

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I don't think you've been watching the Sea Terminal webcams at loading / unloading times with all due respect.

You are miles out with those figures.

New ONS report out. Key bit for us I suppose is this first point

An estimated 24,600 people (95% credible interval: 16,900 to 33,800) within the community population in England had the coronavirus (COVID-19) during the most recent week, from 7 to 13 August 2020, equating to around 1 in 2,200 individuals.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/englandandwales21august2020

Most countries including Jersey & Guernsey work on these statistics 

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

uk 21 per 100k , limit is I think 25 per 100k for Channel Islands for green country status. The ONS is estimated not actual.

checked it’s actually 30 per 100k for Guernsey so less harsh than UK 

Edited by Banker

So a senior police officer states that “We can’t let our guard down” and then goes on to explain exactly how they have let their guard down and that’s it’s got nothing to do with the police why they can’t actually police people who are supposed to be self isolating. It’s obviously much easier to do someone for 5p of weed, or just find some existing crims and bang then up for minor covid lockdown breaches, than to try to actually stop a pandemic resurfacing by checking that people are self isolating. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=57368

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can’t believe he actually said, “lessons will be learned”. 

Yes I was actually appalled reading most of that. They were happy enough to act like the storm troopers when they had emergency powers but now they can’t even knock on peoples doors to check if they’re inside. And if we get a second wave “lessons will be learned” because apparently they obviously learned nothing from their handling of the first wave! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes I was actually appalled reading most of that. They were happy enough to act like the storm troopers when they had emergency powers but now they can’t even knock on peoples doors to check if they’re inside. And if we get a second wave “lessons will be learned” because apparently they obviously learned nothing from their handling of the first wave! 

As stated in the article it's not the polices job to go checking people are adhering to the quarantine. They only become involved if someone breaches it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Is there any news about why these people think the rules do not apply to them. The reasons or excuses given must be fascinating. 

Edited by Apple
misquote