IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

So you don't know if it's Level 3A or 3B either. I'm a bit surprised about that...

What is the testing strategy, with test schedules and costings, in the paper to Tynwald?

Busy people like me always appreciate an Exec Summary.

Thanks.

There's absolutely zero chance you're busy. None at all.

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Is it absolutely necessary to have a Spanish holiday at this particular time in the covid period? Should we be happy that we can once again visit relatives in the UK?..... and stick to that for now?

No one from UK or IOM can visit Spain or most of Europe as visitors not permitted without compelling reasons. So until Boris permits travel 17/05 at earliest & European countries let you in it’s not happening. Probably June .

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

No one from UK or IOM can visit Spain or most of Europe as visitors not permitted without compelling reasons. So until Boris permits travel 17/05 at earliest & European countries let you in it’s not happening. Probably June .

Portugal has an outside chance of making ‘the list’ 😉

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Make no mistake, we are fully open end of May.

The U.K. prevalence barring a catastrophe will be well below 30 in 100,000. It already is.

I’m glad my emails to CoMin & Tynwald made a difference, albeit a very, very tiny one.

What a great morning!

9044B532-805A-4074-AF52-75DEBB1583D9.jpeg

Whilst I generally support your views and I am certainly in the get the 'boarders' open asap, one thing that confuses me is why we keep getting positives from returning travellers. Surely, if the real infection rate in the UK is that low we wouldn't be getting this many and they would be rare. Just a thought.

One thing though is true. Last summer there was an opportunity (albeit quite short) when we could have relaxed the border restriction significantly and we didn't. We hid away. Look back to Aug20, it was lower than it is now. We don't want to do that again by dithering over a decision. It takes a day or so to put restrictions on so why does it take months to take them off?

• Like 2

Just now, Happier diner said:

Whilst I generally support your views and I am certainly in the get the 'boarders' open asap, one thing that confuses me is why we keep getting positives from returning travellers. Surely, if the real infection rate in the UK is that low we wouldn't be getting this many and they would be rare. Just a thought.

One thing though is true. Last summer there was an opportunity (albeit quite short) when we could have relaxed the border restriction significantly and we didn't. We hid away. Look back to Aug20, it was lower than it is now. We don't want to do that again by dithering over a decision. It takes a day or so to put restrictions on so why does it take months to take them off?

The infection rate in the UK is not even close to being reflected in the testing.  We test everyone coming in, they don't get everyone every day. 

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

All I can say, in brief, is only a knacker would be considering going on a foreign holiday this year.

Why would people who dispatch and/or collect dead farm animals be the only ones considering going on a foreign holiday? 

But seriously, I'm of a similar opinion regarding foreign travel. Some here seem so certain that we truly are at the tail end of this. For example; "Plenty of people will have covid in future.  Most won't know.  And most won't feel any material impact." 

I sincerely hope this is correct. However, this is a global problem and many places aren't doing as well as the British Isles and Europe.

New variants pose a huge unknown in that we don't know if the current vaccines will be effective against them. Even if the boffins manage to tweak them in a timely manner, we still have to get them into people's arms.  

To be clear, I'm not against the relaxation of the borders.

However I don't think we can afford to smugly believe covid is no longer a threat. we have to remain vigilant and we're going to have to rely on people's common sense and sense of social responsibility.

I suppose that's what worries me most. Common sense isn't really all that common, and too many people are of the "I'm alright Jack" opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Either or. Just like 21/14 now

Have to say I'm disappointed in IOMG.

Their first effort with it's pointless graphics etc looked to me like the sort of glossy you get from a developer who is putting together a new business park.

The recent effort, although thankfully short, raised questions in my mind. It shouldn't.

So I looked through IOMG's websites but couldn't find anything that would put meat on the bones.

Border Level 3 - is that 3A or 3B

Reintroduction of seven day pathway option - what does this actually mean?

Etc.

When folks are not sure what is what they can fall foul of the regulations.

The start point of any announcements should always be that the intended audience know nothing so they need clear, unambiguous instructions on what is what.

It's not rocket science...

Just now, P.K. said:

Have to say I'm disappointed in IOMG.

Their first effort with it's pointless graphics etc looked to me like the sort of glossy you get from a developer who is putting together a new business park.

The recent effort, although thankfully short, raised questions in my mind. It shouldn't.

So I looked through IOMG's websites but couldn't find anything that would put meat on the bones.

Border Level 3 - is that 3A or 3B

Reintroduction of seven day pathway option - what does this actually mean?

Etc.

When folks are not sure what is what they can fall foul of the regulations.

The start point of any announcements should always be that the intended audience know nothing so they need clear, unambiguous instructions on what is what.

It's not rocket science...

It’s neither 3A or 3B. They’re redefining in the new document. 

The exit strategy isn’t the regulations. It’s a broad brush framework,

We had a seven pathway day option in August. 7 days isolation, negative test, released.

The regulations will be published before ( perhaps ) they come into effect. They’ll be clear and unambiguous ( perhaps)

Isolation affecting your brain cells?

This type of document needs to be wooly and vague. Room for manoeuvre/change. I’m surprised, on dates, they haven’t said “not before”.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's exactly my point. Doesn't that mean quoting the Infection rate is pointless then?

Yes, always has been.  The only relevant figure is deaths.

Increase testing = increased cases.

Reduce testing = reduced cases.

If they doubled their testing capacity tomorrow then the figures will go back up.

I don't know if the twice weekly free tests have rolled out yet, but am.assuning that our figure is based on proper lab tests only and not lateral flow tests done at home?