IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Have to say I'm disappointed in IOMG.

Their first effort with it's pointless graphics etc looked to me like the sort of glossy you get from a developer who is putting together a new business park.

The recent effort, although thankfully short, raised questions in my mind. It shouldn't.

So I looked through IOMG's websites but couldn't find anything that would put meat on the bones.

Border Level 3 - is that 3A or 3B

Reintroduction of seven day pathway option - what does this actually mean?

Etc.

When folks are not sure what is what they can fall foul of the regulations.

The start point of any announcements should always be that the intended audience know nothing so they need clear, unambiguous instructions on what is what.

It's not rocket science...

"I can't read but I will have an opinion anyway"

18 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Yes, always has been.  The only relevant figure is deaths.

Increase testing = increased cases.

Reduce testing = reduced cases.

If they doubled their testing capacity tomorrow then the figures will go back up.

I don't know if the twice weekly free tests have rolled out yet, but am.assuning that our figure is based on proper lab tests only and not lateral flow tests done at home?

Yes that right. They only report lab PCR tests. I guess the curves have be seen as relative/indicative rather than an absolute value. If we assume they are roughly testing the same number throughout.

The scardy cats have to bear in mind that they only test those who report symptoms so the date is skewed adversely due to that as well. Both being constants.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Yes, always has been.  The only relevant figure is deaths.

Increase testing = increased cases.

Reduce testing = reduced cases.

If they doubled their testing capacity tomorrow then the figures will go back up.

I don't know if the twice weekly free tests have rolled out yet, but am.assuning that our figure is based on proper lab tests only and not lateral flow tests done at home?

That’s simplistic, and simply not true. We’ve not really done mass or random testing. We’ve tested those with symptoms who’ve contacted 111, patients going in for electives, returning travellers, key workers. It’s focussed at the at risk groups. And even then the positive return rate ( percentage positives )has remained fairly constant. 

With low levels, or zero, in the community ( which we’ve had for 9 out of 13 months, random testing won’t increase the positive figures. Whilst it’s possible there were pockets of asymptomatic infections they’d have passed it on and someone would have tested positive on admission or because they developed symptoms.

If there is any Lateral Flow community testing, is there,  any positives will be referred for PCR to  check. It’s only the PCR that’ll be recorded.

And those are the high rate of false positives discussed in the Guardian articles quoted earlier this week. And they do have an effect. Isolation, days of work, loss of income for the person testing false positive and their families until the PCR comes back negative.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Have to say I'm disappointed in IOMG.

Their first effort with it's pointless graphics etc looked to me like the sort of glossy you get from a developer who is putting together a new business park.

The recent effort, although thankfully short, raised questions in my mind. It shouldn't.

So I looked through IOMG's websites but couldn't find anything that would put meat on the bones.

Border Level 3 - is that 3A or 3B

Reintroduction of seven day pathway option - what does this actually mean?

Etc.

When folks are not sure what is what they can fall foul of the regulations.

The start point of any announcements should always be that the intended audience know nothing so they need clear, unambiguous instructions on what is what.

It's not rocket science...

Its not an announcement, yet.

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s simplistic, and simply not true. We’ve not really done mass or random testing. We’ve tested those with symptoms who’ve contacted 111, patients going in for electives, returning travellers, key workers. It’s focussed at the at risk groups. And even then the positive return rate ( percentage positives )has remained fairly constant. 

With low levels, or zero, in the community ( which we’ve had for 9 out of 13 months, random testing won’t increase the positive figures. Whilst it’s possible there were pockets of asymptomatic infections they’d have passed it on and someone would have tested positive on admission or because they developed symptoms.

If there is any Lateral Flow community testing, is there,  any positives will be referred for PCR to  check. It’s only the PCR that’ll be recorded.

And those are the high rate of false positives discussed in the Guardian articles quoted earlier this week. And they do have an effect. Isolation, days of work, loss of income for the person testing false positive and their families until the PCR comes back negative.

The discussion was about the cases in the UK, not the IOM.  It is fact that "cases" went up drastically when they increased their testing regime.  If they were to go back to only testing hospital admissions and people with symptoms, cases would drop again.

• Like 4

Does everybody know who they have been in contact with this past two days, jumping up and down Strand Street, going on the piss etc?

Answer - no fucking chance.

Here we go again.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Some people who test +  ve will go out of their way to NOT tell track and trace where they have been.  They are the sort of people who demand borders stay closed and no one is allowed to have a life.

I would have said those sort of people are the ones who want the borders opened, and are probably Covid deniers/disparagers/Wu-flu types.

• Like 2

Just now, trmpton said:

Time to put the mitigation measures they have worked so hard on into place then.

No one will ever convince me technology couldn't be used as a useful tool here.

Technology could have had all this done and dusted yonks ago. Unfortunately our leaders in this respect are clueless (as are most folk to be fair) and the technology advisers in IoMG Government are not as fucking smart as they think they are, or their salary might suggest they are.

• Thanks 1