IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

59 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It still tickles me Pink that people genuinely believed Covid left our shores on three different occasions.

The mind genuinely boggles at the naivety of the masses.

I

No one except the straw men in your imagination believe Covid left our shores on three different occasions. No one.  No masses, no nuthin'

Once, after Lockdown One . . . . well that is a different matter. Covid was extinguished.

• Haha 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

You have beaten @Gladys to it. I thought she would have been on by now. If only we had the genomic testing this wouldn't have happened right?:D

Being serious - Whilst I am not as stubborn  and would take up any free offer, I am not seeing how them being linked (or not) helps that much. Isn't the issue more that we have them and they could have spread already. Where they came from is obviously good for the stewards enquiry (or VAR) but its already in the past.

Maybe if some were aware that their virus could be traced, they may have sharper memories as to where they have been and who they have been with?

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You have beaten @Gladys to it. I thought she would have been on by now. If only we had the genomic testing this wouldn't have happened right?:D

Being serious - Whilst I am not as stubborn  and would take up any free offer, I am not seeing how them being linked (or not) helps that much. Isn't the issue more that we have them and they could have spread already. Where they came from is obviously good for the stewards enquiry (or VAR) but its already in the past.

Suppose they could link it to the 2 travel related cases last week if there was a link 

7 minutes ago, Barlow said:

No one except the straw men in your imagination believe Covid left our shores on three different occasions. No one.  No masses, no nuthin'

Once, after Lockdown One . . . . well that is a different matter. Covid was extinguished.

There is more than a good chance that you are correct. 

Just now, Banker said:

Suppose they could link it to the 2 travel related cases last week if there was a link 

Yeah that's true. But even then is only marginally helpful isn't it. The horse has well and truly bolted already and we are saddled with the aftermath. It will have spread in unbridled abandon already.

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Two positives. T&T underway. Let's hope we don't knee jerk into another lockdown.  

Actually that's exactly what should be done.  Locking down fast plus increasing testing and genomics is what stops cases getting out of hand and means you can come out of lockdown within days not months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Based on comparing UK fatalities with best estimates of the actual infection fatality rate I calculated that 30% of all cases are being detected in the UK. The other 70% will either be asymptomatic, or not wanting to get a test for various reasons. 

CDC estimate 90% efficacy at stopping asymptomatic cases, after 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine. So it seems that the vaccines do stop you getting and spreading the disease pretty well. 

thank god for estimates , or agenda serving guesses as they're sometimes known.

Edited by Pipsqueak

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Those who chose not to have the vaccine have to accept the consequences.  I doubt that more than 100 in our population have any medical reason not to have a jab. Bollocks about pregnancy,  not properly tested, conspiracy for mind control etc all nonsense. 

an interesting honest number that would shed some light is how many letters have been sent out inviting people to phone up and book a vaccination slot, and how many individuals have actually phoned up and booked a first vaccine?   take B from A and that's your unvaccinated out of the eligible .

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Now 5, including one in a school setting

I would crack on as we are.

Thankfully I don't have to make the decision because the options either way are not good.

If they start limiting business again they are going to need to bale people out big time.  All of hospitality etc have restocked.

If they don't, and people die in large numbers (which i personally doubt would happen now) they will be lynched.

So in summary I know what I would do in my mind, but am glad I don't have to do it for real and either cripple businesses or lead to deaths.

Its really not funny anymore.  I was in a good mood this morning and although obvioulsy knew it was still here this (including an immediate hit on Income again) has hit me like a tonne of bricks.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually that's exactly what should be done.  Locking down fast plus increasing testing and genomics is what stops cases getting out of hand and means you can come out of lockdown within days not months.

I agree in principle. But I think it will already be out of hand. 3 days with no social distancing what-so-ever. Bit of a dilemma. Chasing shadows?

What we need is luck, and lots of it:D 

Or alternatively we move forward and live with it from this point forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I would crack on as we are.

Thankfully I don't have to make the decision because the options either way are not good.

If they start limiting business again they are going to need to bale people out big time.  All of hospitality etc have restocked.

If they don't, and people die in large numbers (which i personally doubt would happen now) they will be lynched.

So in summary I know what I would do in my mind, but am glad I don't have to do it for real and either cripple businesses or lead to deaths.

Its really not funny anymore.  I was in a good mood this morning and although obvioulsy knew it was still here this (including an immediate hit on Income again) has hit me like a tonne of bricks.

Yes I agree. I share your massive disappointment too. There are no easy decisions this time.

Its a tough one but i suspect Pubs and restaurants are going to be hit again. One step back maybe rather than right to full lockdown.