IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

BBCs Alex Bell on twitter saying up to 5 cases now with one of them in a school.

The media announcement (mainly taken up with pompous sermonising attributed to Quayle) said that they were identified on Tuesday night.  Additional cases (possibly linked to the first two) have presumably been picked up today.

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually that's exactly what should be done.  Locking down fast plus increasing testing and genomics is what stops cases getting out of hand and means you can come out of lockdown within days not months.

Nice sunny day. Place is heaving everywhere, then people panic buying the garden fence paint (or equivalent) for the possibility of a lockdown. Lots of people - lots of opportunities for virus spread.

We came out of lockdown far too fast.

Hey...where are those fabled baby steps? Looks like the baby just jumped out the window.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Jeez

The manninline today (I love lunch breaks) is now a witch hunt for whoever the 2 cases are as "they have obviously broken the rules and put us all at risk"

They really need to change peoples attitudes if they want people to voluntarily come forward for testing.

As it stands today if I did and was positive I would be left completely skint and likely be chased out of town by the nutters.

And the old lady who has had the vax but is still petrified of leaving her home.  There has to be some urgent reassurance and education going on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It's strange they have  said a school setting instead of a school, does this mean it could be a nursery etc or am I over thinking it?

Staff as opposed to student?

Listening to Tynwald, they seem to all be hinting at a faster implementation of border easing than is in the document.

I haven't heard anything yet that would suggest they aren't still going ahead with it or even speeding it up

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

And the old lady who has had the vax but is still petrified of leaving her home.  There has to be some urgent reassurance and education going on.

The media in all of this have been an utter disgrace, every day case numbers, new varients, vaccine giving blood clots. All they are interested in is what will sell papers or keep people tuned in, it's in their interests to keep this going as long as possible. 

• Like 7

Just now, thommo2010 said:

The media in all of this have been an utter disgrace, every day case numbers, new varients, vaccine giving blood clots. All they are interested in is what will sell papers or keep people tuned in, it's in their interests to keep this going as long as possible. 

This.

I have friends (more so my missus side) who are literally terrified.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Staff as opposed to student?

Listening to Tynwald, they seem to all be hinting at a faster implementation of border easing than is in the document.

I haven't heard anything yet that would suggest they aren't still going ahead with it or even speeding it up

You are possibly right  but it's this type of language that gets people querying things. why not just say a student or a teacher has tested positive instead of the cloak and dagger stuff?

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, wrighty said:

CDC estimate 90% efficacy at stopping asymptomatic cases, after 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine. So it seems that the vaccines do stop you getting and spreading the disease pretty well. 

That may be, but only 20% of uk adults have had two doses. Another 40% are wandering around semi-inoculated, many thinking they are now immune. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Jeez

The manninline today (I love lunch breaks) is now a witch hunt for whoever the 2 cases are as "they have obviously broken the rules and put us all at risk"

They really need to change peoples attitudes if they want people to voluntarily come forward for testing.

As it stands today if I did and was positive I would be left completely skint and likely be chased out of town by the nutters.

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I listened for about 10 mins then I couldn't bear any more. My god these poor people have been made into quivering wrecks. Didn't one guy say the Isle of Man should close its borders for ever and if people wanted to ever leave here they should move away. I am sure I didn't dream it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Does seem likely that someone broke isolation, there were 750 in isolation as of yesterday which is a lot & someone may have been tempted out

It's not necessarily so.  The vast majority of those isolating will be travellers - there's only 5 active cases and only 2 of those are from the February outbreak.  And on the whole returning travellers have been fairly responsible.

Where there could be a problem is in cases being passed around within isolating households with no testing done at the end of 21 days or with only those members previously positive being retested.  We don't really know the protocols they are using.

Of course genomics would help a lot in this situation - especially if you have previously sequenced all you positive cases.  But....

• Like 1