IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Yes and no.

Yes - start to put in place NOW facilities to cater for the inevitable CV patients who, for whatever unfortunate reason, have had an adverse reaction to the virus and require hospitalisation.  This will be approximately 1, I repeat ONE, per cent of the population and that was before the vaccine programme.

No - we cannot keep stopping and starting society and the economy because someone has caught COVID.  It's a bloody PANDEMIC, it will be global for years to come and nothing Mr Toad and the MBE does will alter that fact.

We shall continue to be run over, fall off ladders, drown and die of cancer and..................catch COVID.  The sooner this sinks in, and most importantly, is accepted, the better for us all.

This is not the plague, ebola, or dengue fever - all of which are pretty much guaranteed to kill you.  That is DANGER, not a virus that nearly all of us would survive but will increasingly see its fatality rate diminish, hopefully, to little above zero.

Fully agree now that there are vaccines available. Would have been much harder to justify opening up without the vaccines.

Edited by Andy Onchan

9 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Yes and no.

Yes - start to put in place NOW facilities to cater for the inevitable CV patients who, for whatever unfortunate reason, have had an adverse reaction to the virus and require hospitalisation.  This will be approximately 1, I repeat ONE, per cent of the population and that was before the vaccine programme.

No - we cannot keep stopping and starting society and the economy because someone has caught COVID.  It's a bloody PANDEMIC, it will be global for years to come and nothing Mr Toad and the MBE does will alter that fact.

We shall continue to be run over, fall off ladders, drown and die of cancer and..................catch COVID.  The sooner this sinks in, and most importantly, is accepted, the better for us all.

This is not the plague, ebola, or dengue fever - all of which are pretty much guaranteed to kill you.  That is DANGER, not a virus that nearly all of us would survive but will increasingly see its fatality rate diminish, hopefully, to little above zero.

Who said anything about stopping and starting society?

Should they be required, appropriate, surgical interventions instead of the blunt instrument of a total lockdown may allow society to continue almost as normal. These interventions would only be required to ensure the health service is able to offer care to everyone who needs it, including those who have fallen off ladders or got some water in their lungs.

That's all part of the Government's plan. As I said I hope they have the courage to stick to it and we can start to advance to full normality without jeopardising the ability to offer care to those if us who are unfortunate enough to require it.

Well, we truly are living in interesting times. On the day of a borders exit announcement, COVID rears its head again. Now let’s see how Comin deals with this. I personally was pleasantly surprised that we apparently got back to elimination, but in reality I don’t think we ever did, Kent variant appears to be too slippery. The new cases are probably a blessing in disguise as we now will not fall back into the comfort bubble of a COVID free island. Now we will hopefully carry on as we are, open the borders and use hospital capacity and vaccination numbers as our metrics. Let’s see how bold our political leaders are, but for the love of god, no more lockdowns.

• Like 3

The dashboard is only reporting the two cases found last night rather than the five that Alex Bell reported on Twitter.  I'm not sure if his figure includes those two or is extra to them.  Both the dashboard ones are males living in Ramsey (one 50-54, one 40-44).

To confirm that Ramsey is involved, Bell has just tweeted: A pupil at Bunscoill Rhumsaa in Ramsey has tested positive for Covid. All class pupils and their families have been told to self isolate.  Together with a copy of the letter that has been sent out.