IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

31 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Just read an article about Indian "COVID Hell"

Granted deaths will be under reported, but at the moment in hell, with limited and health care and poor vaccine roll out the death rate translates to roughly one death on the island - every two weeks.

I don't think translating India's reported deaths to a Manx per capita equivalent tells the whole story.  Their hospitals are running out of oxygen and people are spilling over into the streets while trying to get treatment.  Doesn't sound good.  I've got colleagues here who are very concerned over their friends and family back home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Went for my neuro out patient clinic appointment this morning. Had to drop something off at Palatine surgery first. They had locked doors, ring doorbell, full PPE.

Clinic at Newlands, shared facility and waiting area for anticoagulant clinic, epilepsy/neuro, diabetic/endocrine and autoimmune/rheumatology,  nothing. And one visiting consultant ( over from Walton for 2 days, key worker ) stuck in with patients and student doctor in an unventilated windowless cell.

Palatine seems to have been like that since last year !! My wife’s& in laws  a patient & she said you really have to insist if you need a face to face appointment 

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I don't think translating India's reported deaths to a Manx per capita equivalent tells the whole story.  Their hospitals are running out of oxygen and people are spilling over into the streets while trying to get treatment.  Doesn't sound good.  I've got colleagues here who are very concerned over their friends and family back home.

Its obviously not a like for like comparison, but I thought it gave some perspective to the doom that is being assumed.

It is awful for those in India, but I honestly don't see the headlines as being appropriate.  I don't belive that given where we and the UK are that we would ever end up in the same situation.  Maybe I am wrong, but we pinned so much on the vaccine rollout and now people are still scared by a few cases.

I went to the chemist earlier and couldn't get in without going back to the car and digging an old crumpled up mask out of the glove box.  Nuts

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Palatine seems to have been like that since last year !! My wife’s& in laws  a patient & she said you really have to insist if you need a face to face appointment 

How many wife’s do you have?

• Haha 2

Chief Minister "We all knew that we would see more cases in the community".

Well actually no, we didn't. We could be in the same freedom as we had after lockdown one. Had someone not left the fucking back door wide open and not been on top of their game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Well actually no, we didn't. We could be in the same freedom as we had after lockdown one. Had someone not left the fucking back door wide open and not been on top of their game.

Yeah we did.  They told us it was expected in case anyone hadn't worked it out for themselves.

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

If someone breaks isolation then nothing can stop it other than quarantine hotels!

Personal choices now as Howie says

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Just now, trmpton said:

Yeah we did.  They told us it was expected in case anyone hadn't worked it out for themselves.

And begs the question, why didn’t we exit lock down with mitigation measures, masks, distancing, capacity limits, signing in for tracing, 3 weeks ago.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, trmpton said:

Just because they told us first, doesn't give a reason to drop their guard. That is exactly what happened. Bollox, it's going to come back so ICBA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

And begs the question, why didn’t we exit lock down with mitigation measures, masks, distancing, capacity limits, signing in for tracing, 3 weeks ago.

I've been thinking the same thing, what difference is it from last week when they were stalling lockdown ending due to one case they couldn't trace

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

It is awful for those in India, but I honestly don't see the headlines as being appropriate.

There are people dying on trolleys and in the back of ambulances outside hospitals in Delhi because they haven't got beds. It is almost certainly worse in areas with less resources. The headlines seem absolutely appropriate given the situation

Edited by Newbie
typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

No idea.  I have said previously that making it clear to people we weren't eradicating anymore once they got cases to a low level, rather than making people think we were clear again, would have been a much better option.

It was the perfect chance to transition, and they missed it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

There are people dying on trolleys and in the back of ambulances outside hospitals in Delhi because they haven't got beds. It is almost certainly worse in areas with less resources. The headlines seem absolutely appropriate given the situation

1300 deaths a day in a population of 1.36 BILLION people.

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

No idea.  I have said previously that making it clear to people we weren't eradicating anymore once they got cases to a low level, rather than making people think we were clear again, would have been a much better option.

It was the perfect chance to transition, and they missed it.

I'm not sure they have really gotten their heads around restrictions being much more than a binary thing still. We've either been open or not.

All they've really added is a 'careful now' message with the open bit it seems.

• Like 2