IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'm sure if we had had covid for over 100 years it would have killed more than the TT,  in fact, i don't ever remember a TT with more than 20 deaths,  i'm struggling to find a TT with double figures so comparing the 2 things is stupid but i guess that's just you.

We could well have Covid for several years. That’s my point. It isn’t just going to go away so we had all better learn to just get in with it. We’ve had flu and other disease peaks and troughs for centuries. The biggest risk now is to the economy and to a further destructions of people’s economic lives. Unemployment is already heading for 2,000 and so many retail business are closed and will remain closed. We need to start getting used to this and managing the community risks and getting back to normal ASAP.

Hong Kong flu killed out 1M people globally in 1968 yet we shut down nothing 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's out in the public domain in regard to that?

It’s been reported that the unions are supporting that view and that they can only go back after detailed risk assessments and massive changes to the layout of schools etc. I would imagine if the staff had been furloughed they’d be a damn sight keener to go back than being on full pay to stay at home until whenever the unions negotiate on their behalf. Sadly we now have a two tier society. Those being financially motivated to return because they have to and those being financially motivated to stay at home because the taxpayer is being tapped.

Edited by Southfork
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Southfork said:

It’s been reported that the unions are supporting that view and that they can only go back after detailed risk assessments and massive changes to the layout of schools etc. I would imagine if the staff had been furloughed they’d be a damn sight keener to go back than being on full pay to stay at home until whenever the unions negotiate on their behalf. Sadly we now have a two tier society. Those being financially motivated to return because they have to and those being financially motivated to stay at home. 

That's not the same as a "few teachers". However, I've also read similar from many other unions, I wouldn't expect the teacher's unions to be any different.

35 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I read a couple of articles yesterday, one about how SD was going to change pubs and bars. In one bar that was going to effectively mean they could have ten people drinking inside instead on one hundred. Another article was describing how the 20-35yr age group were breaking lockdown and it was pushing for the young to be allowed out. I have been reading a lot about he new normal and how things will change. I do not buy it at all for practical as well as economic reasons. My prediction, in a few months we will have reverted to type, other than the elderly and those with conditions, I just cannot see people tolerating the new normal for long, certainly not once people start getting back to work, shopping and socializing again. I certainly cannot see people queuing outside in our great Manx winter. I may be wrong...

No business is going to operate at 10% of capacity.  You are  not going to see private bus and train operators having huge empty spaces.  They cannot run a business like that.   It is exactly the same for pubs, cafes, restaurants and shops.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's out in the public domain in regard to that?

Nothing.  But that is what is happening for sure.;)

Of course, the Union have a convenient lever given the ongoing pay dispute too.

The potential answer for that minority is to get the schools back in and those teachers can teach via video link.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's not the same as a "few teachers". However, I've also read similar from many other unions, I wouldn't expect the teacher's unions to be any different.

Unions are nothing but a pain in the ass in this type of situation. 

You can't run schools under a strict social distancing regime.  Just like you cant run the Steam Packet either.   Get on with it.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Unions are nothing but a pain in the ass in this type of situation. 

You can't run schools under a strict social distancing regime.  Just like you cant run the Steam Packet either.   Get on with it.:rolleyes:

So are you advocating no regime at all?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So are you advocating no regime at all?

I'm advocating we get back to normal because there isn't anything wrong with that.

The reality is social distancing doesn't marry wirh practical real life working.   You could not operate the steam packet from a staffing perspective if you had to socially distance.   Or a plane.  Or a submarine/war ship.  Or a whole host of other things.

Would you expect the Police or Fire Brigade to refuse to work?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I agree with you. I would say anecdotally lots of teachers seem happy to be off until September. And who wouldn’t be if they were getting full pay for bit of sunbathing? The universities have uploaded content into the web and are doing virtual modules but outside of key worker baby sitting the teachers here aren't doing much. The unions will be really loving this as they are holding government to ransom as if there are any deaths they have big pockets to sue governments and local authorities for failing to manage Covid risks. The whole public sector piece with the unions is going to get very tricky. And the longer this goes on there will be less and less taxpayers and taxpaying  businesses to pay for their unrealistic demands. If they don’t want to go back they should be furloughed. We shouldn’t be paying fir their extended holidays. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm advocating we get back to normal because there isn't anything wrong with that.

The reality is social distancing doesn't marry wirh practical real life working.   You could not operate the steam packet from a staffing perspective if you had to socially distance.   Or a plane.  Or a submarine/war ship.  Or a whole host of other things.

Would you expect the Police or Fire Brigade to refuse to work?

But that's the point. Until the consumer/user is satisfied himself that the risk is worth taking then nothing will return to normal.

I don't think it is a case of one person advocating this, and another that. There are always going to be differing views and perspectives and both have there pro's and con's. The new normal that is being discussed however is not practical, sustainable or enforceable at either an economic or societal level, and frankly will be broken. Creating rules and regulations that are routinely flouted is pointless, and erodes peoples trust.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Southfork said:

I agree with you. I would say anecdotally lots of teachers seem happy to be off until September. And who wouldn’t be if they were getting full pay for bit of sunbathing? The universities have uploaded content into the web and are doing virtual modules but outside of key worker baby sitting the teachers here aren't doing much. The unions will be really loving this as they are holding government to ransom as if there are any deaths they have big pockets to sue governments and local authorities for failing to manage Covid risks. The whole public sector piece with the unions is going to get very tricky. And the longer this goes on there will be less and less taxpayers and taxpaying  businesses to pay for their unrealistic demands. If they don’t want to go back they should be furloughed. We shouldn’t be paying fir their extended holidays. 

Totally agree, furlough teachers etc who aren't working. there are a lot of kids just playing on games whilst the teachers are sunbathing etc, there's not many doing online lessons.

Another Island nation in Gibraltar  has managed to reopen ok

Hairdressers, retailers, offices and self-contained construction sites all opened last week, letting non-essential workers from Spain travel into Gibraltar with a work contract.