IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, snowman said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/22/covid-pandemic-britain/?fbclid=IwAR0VZ63fK9t0laD2JyejZL2CZDGMOR5RcrgIv5nJ6xMVpJMhpmSIh7ZxQ0w

Covid is now ‘endemic’ rather than ‘pandemic’ in the UK

Symptomatic infections drop by 90%

Preliminary studies show the vaccine to be effective against the Indian variant

Months ago I asked what was a pandemic as opposed to an epidemic, and the answer was that it was pretty much affecting the world.  So, how one country can move from pandemic to endemic is beyond me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Months ago I asked what was a pandemic as opposed to an epidemic, and the answer was that it was pretty much affecting the world.  So, how one country can move from pandemic to endemic is beyond me. 

Pan shares the same root as panic - hope this helps

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It does, thank you. :D

I have looked up the etymology for both panic and the prefix pan.  Both are Greek.  The former is derived from the Greek god Pan, god of terror.  The latter means all.  So, you are absolutely correct, regardless of which is the etymological source of the pan in pandemic, the net effect is the same! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Covid is now ‘endemic’ rather than ‘pandemic’ in the UK

Even one of R4's 'Today' go-to 'experts' conceded that is now the case.

So let's get on with living and, most importantly (and here I'll give Mr Toad and a recent pronouncement from 'Alfred' Cannan for publicly stating, albeit in rather subdued tones, the fact ie 'we're going to have to live with it') the 'authorities' need to fanfare this from the ramparts of the parish council chamber - loud and clear.

Now, how the individual reacts to that is entirely up to him/her as is every other personal risk assessment one makes in life.  It is not the duty of the State to make that decision, or indeed impose a decision, for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I have looked up the etymology for both panic and the prefix pan.  Both are Greek.  The former is derived from the Greek god Pan, god of terror.  The latter means all.  So, you are absolutely correct, regardless of which is the etymological source of the pan in pandemic, the net effect is the same! 

I though the pan bit means wide or across. Nowt to do with panic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

My understanding, and it may not be dictionary definition correct is:

Epidemic - a local/national spreading infection with increasing numbers

Pandemic - epidemics across multiple countries/the whole world

Endemic - the state where a disease exists in relatively stable numbers, for example malaria in parts of Africa, Flu over here.  It's a balanced state where a disease doesn't fizzle out, nor does it keep growing and overwhelm services.  In epidemiological terms the R number will be hovering around 1.

It's now being reported that the UK, thanks to vaccination and disease exposure, has attained a degree of herd immunity to covid such that it won't take off again, but will grumble on at a lowish level while life gets back to normal.  Others think there'll still be an 'exit bounce', and there's always the worry about significant new variants that could push the UK situation back to 'epidemic'.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Don't be repeating  positive news like this..... it won't fit the agenda of those sitting back on FAT pensions (ie  retired professionals) and advocating either lockdowns or masks etc forever - because what about the scariants?     Reading some of the contributions on Twitter makes me wonder whether these people actually live in the real world - you know, where you have to actually earn a living!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I'm glad you're getting at the Greeks. They invented gayness.

• Haha 2

So, if the exit framework shows the border level moving to Level 1, meaning no isolation and no testing, when the UK has an equivalent infection rate to the Isle of Man then by getting a few more infections here does it mean we could be opening the borders unrestricted much sooner?  At the moment I think the IOM is at about 10 in 100,000 but if a few more are infected here or if the UK drops to this level then we should be all open 🤔.

I'm sure that's not what was meant in the framework though...

• Haha 1

What's more interesting is the latest cluster.

Is this a local authority battle where Raaamsey's civic leadership is attempting to outdo Dirty Douglas by starting up Rabid Ramsey? Or perhaps we're just seeing a Ramsey variant. 

Hopefully its not a Ramsey variant. That'd be bound to be harder than the shandy drinking Douglas variant.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

So, if the exit framework shows the border level moving to Level 1, meaning no isolation and no testing, when the UK has an equivalent infection rate to the Isle of Man then by getting a few more infections here does it mean we could be opening the borders unrestricted much sooner?  At the moment I think the IOM is at about 10 in 100,000 but if a few more are infected here or if the UK drops to this level then we should be all open 🤔.

I'm sure that's not what was meant in the framework though...

The logical answer would be yes, and they have said throughout and I have heard reiterated again in the last couple of days that the dates in the framework could be moved forward.

I would love to see them max out the testing for a few days with random tests and get a real idea what infections here are and would also personally get the borders fully open next week but they won't do either.

It's not like loads could flock here anyway with the current limited flights and sailings but would be a good start and would hopefully then see more flights made available soon.

• Like 1