IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well the cabinet office has a few former Manx Radio kiddies at their paid disposal.

I've been listening to the Mannin Line/Talking Heads/Mannin line for a few decades. You get to know the sort of thing people write/call in about and how they do it. OK, maybe changes a bit depending on the presenter.

But Wint has an awful lot of 'correspondents' who he doesn't name, who say stuff and ask short questions. It sounds like hot air he's guffing out himself to keep the ball rolling. The few times I have txted in he changes the wording out of all meaning and context.

I feel a manxforums challenge coming for Monday lunchtime.

Someone needs to suggest a word we need to get on air?

I am thinking cumrocket (google it, if you had invested 10k at the start of the week you would have made about 50k profit now)

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well the cabinet office has a few former Manx Radio kiddies at their paid disposal.

I've been listening to the Mannin Line/Talking Heads/Mannin line for a few decades. You get to know the sort of thing people write/call in about and how they do it. OK, maybe changes a bit depending on the presenter.

But Wint has an awful lot of 'correspondents' who he doesn't name, who say stuff and ask short questions. It sounds like hot air he's guffing out himself to keep the ball rolling. The few times I have txted in he changes the wording out of all meaning and context.

He’s a self serving prat.  Can’t stand his presentation skills or lack of. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Oooh that ‘Tony’ with the Estuary English accent got me wound up today.

There was a Tony on a few weeks ago giving his expert opinion on Douglas harbour silt and shifting sand on the beach. 

He reckoned there there was no need to built a higher sea wall, all you had to do was lower the beach. 

I still laugh about that whenever I think about it, which is most times I drive along the prom. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

There was a Tony on a few weeks ago giving his expert opinion on Douglas harbour silt and shifting sand on the beach. 

He reckoned there there was no need to built a higher sea wall, all you had to do was lower the beach. 

I still laugh about that whenever I think about it, which is most times I drive along the prom. 

He's absolutely right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Old Git said:

That will lower the Irish Sea?

No, but the beach is much higher than it ought to and used to be. Take the bit opposite the Crescent. 20 years ago, when that was The Venue, you could drop down onto the beach and have a piss against the sea wall. Now, you would be standing at street level and risking arrest.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No, but the beach is much higher than it ought to and used to be. Take the bit opposite the Crescent. 20 years ago, when that was The Venue, you could drop down onto the beach and have a piss against the sea wall. Now, you would be standing at street level and risking arrest.

Aye and the breakers just roll across the prom!

19 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Put the groins back, job done.  

25 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

He is right. Put it back to how it was 25 years ago

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He was talking about rising sea levels, not waves splashing over. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You used to be able to get away with that at 6 foot 2, NYE year 2000

Maybe.

There were at least 10 steps down and now the sea just rolls onto the prom.

The top of the wall (which you can't see anymore) is even curved to break the waves - because it is a sea defense wall

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The question:

"How many people have been admitted for treatment for COVID-19 more than two weeks after having received their first vaccination dose?"

The answer:

"In response to Q55 there have been 2 people admitted for treatment for COVID-19 more than 14 days after their firstdose of the vaccination."

So yes it does highlight the danger.

[...]  this also shows that only 2 out 44 people had not had the vaccine. Which is positive news. 

While you quote correctly from Hooper's Written Question[1] that doesn't imply anything much about the other 42 patients except that they had not had the vaccine up to 14 days before their admission.  But there may be a reason for that.  If you look at the answer to Hooper's previous question asking for "a breakdown of the age profile of individuals admitted to hospital for treatment for COVID-19 during each of the three separate lockdown phases?"[2].  This table has been provided:

image.png.0e19c597aa1933cdcbf556d26404f52d.png

The peak of hospital admissions was on 18 March with 23, so knock off 14 days and roughly you need to look at those who had been vaccinated by the end of February.  At that stage the vast majority of the over-80s and care home residents had been vaccinated with both jabs and 80% of those 75-80 with one, but there was very little coverage of younger age groups[3].

So there might only have been 2 to 6 of those admitted who had had a chance to be vaccinated.  This might be because vaccination was stopping older people catching or at least falling ill with Covid or it could be because the February/March outbreak was mainly among the young and so the more cautious elderly never had the chance to catch the virus.  Certainly the age profile of those who tested positive shows a sharp decline at 55 and over - and those groups would not have had any vaccine yet:

image.png.a38bc5b4acb660692d084614dfe51220.png

Even among the over 70s only about two thirds would been jabbed (maybe a lot less depending how they count the 'workers') and yet there's very few cases shown.  So the honest answer is probably that it is too soon to tell from these figures how big the effect is.  They may be encouraging, but they also highlight that vaccination isn't an automatic guarantee that you will escape the disease.

[1]  Actually question 41 not 55 which was from Edge asking  "the Children’s Champion –
When he will publish his a) 2019-20 and b) 2020-21 reports?".  Which for some reason wasn't answered.

[2]  Because of the wording this looks as if this means they may have not included the 3 patients already in Nobles on the day (3 March) lockdown was declared.

[3]  That's not to say there weren't lots of younger people vaccinated, maybe 4,500 or so, mostly with both, but these were classed as front-line health and social care workers.