IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 hours ago, Cambon said:

Then you need to have a cup of tea, and real think! Over the past 50-60 years, the sand has washed south. The once 12 foot sea wall has disappeared. Two men in two 360s for two weeks could move enough of that sand for nature and tide to take care of the rest. It is really that simple. 

It really is! 

I think he was talking about combating rising sea levels rather than waves occasionally splashing over. 

At least one big event cancelled this weekend.

Strange times.  I wouldn't be cancelling anything I had planned but guess organisers are worried about the backlash if there is major spread (there will be spread- who cares? Its how we get back to normal)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, trmpton said:

At least one big event cancelled this weekend.

Strange times.  I wouldn't be cancelling anything I had planned but guess organisers are worried about the backlash if there is major spread (there will be spread- who cares? Its how we get back to normal)

What's been cancelled?

Government facilities are open.  Villa etc.

22 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I think he was talking about combating rising sea levels rather than waves occasionally splashing over. 

Best build a wall around the whole island then.

A sea wall on the prom is a stupid idea for many reasons.

I expect work will commence this year.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, trmpton said:

He is right. Put it back to how it was 25 years ago

When visiting the Island on business (and before settling down here) over 40 years ago I used to stay at the Palace. In those days if you wanted to get to the beach for a walk you had to go down  a number of steps. Not now.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

That may well be a decision  driven more by Santander and any large corporates who have taken tables at it.

Feel sorry for the Palace.

Second time that particular event has been pulled at the last minute.

Food ordered, staff rostered, rooms booked etc etc.

While thing is an absolute nightmare for hospitality.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Second time that particular event has been pulled at the last minute.

Food ordered, staff rostered, rooms booked etc etc.

While thing is an absolute nightmare for hospitality.

It is unfortunately going to take a little time for mindsets to change from elimination/zero cases to accepting that Covid is likely always going to be present to some extent. Some big corporates are delaying full return to the office until Government mitigation advice is forthcoming.  Although frustrating, this was always going to take a couple of months to bed in and for the fear of the virus and the fear of attracting unwanted PR to subside.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cambon said:

Then you need to have a cup of tea, and real think! Over the past 50-60 years, the sand has washed south. The once 12 foot sea wall has disappeared. Two men in two 360s for two weeks could move enough of that sand for nature and tide to take care of the rest. It is really that simple. 

It really is! 

So where has all the sand moved to from Bay ny Carrikey and Chapel beaches at PSM. I been told 90 years ago the sand was almost at road height at the Bay. 

5 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It is unfortunately going to take a little time for mindsets to change from elimination/zero cases to accepting that Covid is likely always going to be present to some extent. Some big corporates are delaying full return to the office until Government mitigation advice is forthcoming.  Although frustrating, this was always going to take a couple of months to bed in and for the fear of the virus and the fear of attracting unwanted PR to subside.  

The advice is already online you can find it here: https://covid19.gov.im/business-guidance/

Specifically: https://covid19.gov.im/businesses/business-best-practice-guide/

It's just a lot businesses haven't actually wrapped their heads around just how much of an inconvenience / costly "living with it" actually is. Especially big offices that cram as many people into as small a space as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The advice is already online you can find it here: https://covid19.gov.im/business-guidance/

Specifically: https://covid19.gov.im/businesses/business-best-practice-guide/

It's just a lot businesses haven't actually wrapped their heads around just how much of an inconvenience / costly "living with it" actually is. Especially big offices that cram as many people into as small a space as possible.

It is awkward for business, if they choose to ignore the advice and carry on regardless (assuming their group HQ will allow it), they risk public outrage if they are the conduit for several cases, but they also run the risk of widespread staff isolation if cases are found with the subsequent disruption that brings. You are right though, how much effort and expense does a business put in to adhere to 'advice' that is likely to change over the coming months, especially if and when we relax a bit more about the situation. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

When visiting the Island on business (and before settling down here) over 40 years ago I used to stay at the Palace. In those days if you wanted to get to the beach for a walk you had to go down  a number of steps. Not now.

Half of the issue has been DBC’s beach cleaning job creation where they’ve continually pushed sand and shingle up the beach to the sea wall.  There’s a slipway on Queen’s Prom that they’ve had to dig out, at one point you had to go down it to climb up on to the beach. Not sure what it’s like just now

3 minutes ago, yorik said:
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

37 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

So where has all the sand moved to from Bay ny Carrikey and Chapel beaches at PSM. I been told 90 years ago the sand was almost at road height at the Bay. 

3 minutes ago, yorik said:

Half of the issue has been DBC’s beach cleaning job creation where they’ve continually pushed sand and shingle up the beach to the sea wall.  There’s a slipway on Queen’s Prom that they’ve had to dig out, at one point you had to go down it to climb up on to the beach. Not sure what it’s like just now

I don’t think DBC push sand and shingle up the beach. 

Beach height and composition is a mix of factors.

Its cyclical. Look at photos of the prom over the last 150 years. Sometimes the beach has been to walkway level, sometimes it hasn’t.

Changes occur naturally and as a result of human intervention, things like sea walls, groynes, breakwaters.

But the main effect is the Canute effect. Nature!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think DBC push sand and shingle up the beach. 

Beg to differ, I’ve regularly walked along the prom into town while they’ve been doing their seaweed redistribution and every time they were driving up the beach with the bucket down pushing sand/shingle ahead of them and then scraping a small portion of it back.

There’s been plenty of times they’ve left small lagoons up near the sea wall in their half-arsed attempts to correct what they’ve done. I’d swear the bank they’d made was higher than the prom level at times

• Like 2