IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Those poor buggers relocating here literally dream of 14 days isolation. People here seem to have forgotten queuing outside shops, and 2 metres. That is still the norm in many places, if you are lucky! 

And it will be here if they don't observe simple basic requirements.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Those poor buggers relocating here literally dream of 14 days isolation. People here seem to have forgotten queuing outside shops, and 2 metres. That is still the norm in many places, if you are lucky! 

Yes I’m sure they’re literally tugging themselves off on the boat. I think you’re comparing life In the UK under current rules to Soviet Russia or Spain. The reality is very few people are spending £600,000 on a house in the IOM to avoid queuing for half a pound of sausages at their local co-op with a mask on.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

'Covid crazies', 'covid idiots', 'paranoid dicks' etc

Someone seems right on the edge. 

Really? Nothing wrong with honestly. We should all try it sometime. Maybe then we’d be checking that people are actually doing what they promised they’d do before they agreed to come here? Not accepting that some creative lies published in the media about the borders being closed are in fact reality.  

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They most certainly should be carrying out more checks, don't get me wrong, I just love how excited you get sometimes. 

I’m far from excited. I just refuse to accept the script thats being written and constantly regurgitated that the borders being “closed“ are the sole reason for the fact that we remain covid free when it’s clear few checks are being done to even cursorily check individual compliance. Testing makes so much more sense and would reduce quarantine times. 

I still can't understand what Howie and a number on here have against testing arrivals to allow a reduction in quarantine times other than a paranoid fear that if we get some positive cases the Island will go into meltdown.

at present those coming back with virus with no symptoms could infect a few others in the same house who could then pass it on outside house with knowing so surely testing is best option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But apparently permits to travel are only available to returning Manx residents or others who have exceptional circumstances. 

Having a Manx NI number qualifies you as a resident, no matter that you might have been away since you went to university in the 1980s. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

I still can't understand what Howie and a number on here have against testing arrivals to allow a reduction in quarantine times other than a paranoid fear that if we get some positive cases the Island will go into meltdown.

at present those coming back with virus with no symptoms could infect a few others in the same house who could then pass it on outside house with knowing so surely testing is best option.

We’ve never liked transparency on this island. The preferred government tactic still seems to be to perpetuate the (largely false) belief that the border is closed and thereby keep a good chunk of the population shit-scared so that they can rat on people who break self isolation as that saves anyone having to do anything to police the system and also allows all those potential cases to be glossed over as no test = no data = we’re doing such a great job protecting people. It is only a matter of time before we get the virus back as the system seems to lack a huge amount of actual substance. 

Edited by Southfork

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Having a Manx NI number qualifies you as a resident, no matter that you might have been away since you went to university in the 1980s. 

Yes I’m fully aware of that fact but I’m not sure any of the “the borders are closed brigade” do. I bumped into someone I went to school with the other week. Hadn’t seen them for a while but then again they did leave the IOM in 1998 but now they’re apparently back due to covid. That’s open borders. Plenty coming for work too. Which is why we need more robust controls rather than assuming everyone is going to comply just because they’ve signed a bit of paper and then read a report of some silly old codger jailed for six weeks because they’re nosy neighbour dropped them in the shit. 

• Like 1