IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Think about it. They’re ahead of us in terms of length of exit from lockdown. It’s a sequential thing.

Talking of Jersey, The Royal Yacht Hotel, which opened its Spa for 4 months last year against regulations, has just been fined £350,000. It makes £2 million in a good year. Last year it received £1.8 million in furlough or bed subsidy.

I have absolutely no idea why how long you have been out of lockdown is relevant?  Can anyone explain?  Is it just a phycological thing because I don't see how it stacks up financially, scientifically or statistically?

If anything we screwed up by staying locked down for so long.  That was the opportunity after about 14 days to say to people that we are now mitigating and moving forward.

The current shambolic setup is just paying lip service to opening borders without actually making it viable for most people.

What is the score with hospitality and government support? They are a long way away from becoming profitable again but I an imagine our great leaders saying support is stopping because borders are "open"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

They are a long way away from becoming profitable again but I an imagine our great leaders saying support is stopping because borders are "open"

probably, at the moment there is a captive market with staycationers , but once the borders open there will be almost no staycationers and with no 2 wheeled motor sport , horse trams, laxey wheel turning etc etc what is there to come here for ?  hospitality will be worse off even though it will be open.

Just now, Pipsqueak said:

probably, at the moment there is a captive market with staycationers , but once the borders open there will be almost no staycationers and with no 2 wheeled motor sport , horse trams, laxey wheel turning etc etc what is there to come here for ?  hospitality will be worse off even though it will be open.

Don’t worry Skelly & department are working on some major events to bring the punters in !!

Apart from the bikes (very possibly ultimately income neutral when all costs are taken into account - but who knows) tourism represents an almost insignificant part of national income on the IOM.

The money generated as a proportion of national income is tiny according to the official numbers.

I hope the biking events survive in some form. I especially enjoy seeing the vintage bikes. But I also wish they had done a lot more by now towards making it mostly about cutting edge future tech. Which was kind of how how it began.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

Apart from the bikes (very possibly ultimately income neutral when all costs are taken into account - but who knows) tourism represents an almost insignificant part of national income on the IOM.

The money generated as a proportion of national income is tiny according to the official numbers.

I hope the biking events survive in some form. I especially enjoy seeing the vintage bikes. But I also wish they had done a lot more by now towards making it mostly about cutting edge future tech. Which was kind of how how it began.

Agree re tourism

Don't underestimate the money generated by friends and family visiting and business travel.

Take those away and plenty of hotels will vanish, fares increase etc.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

If we’re ahead of Channel Islands with vaccinations why are we behind in easing border restrictions & why are our guidelines so complex in comparison to other jurisdictions?

Channel Islands also had guidelines published well in advance not the day before.

https://www.channel103.com/news/guernsey-news/guernsey-on-track-with-jabs-and-easing-border-rules/

Sorry banker, but I have said this before, no doubt I will have to say it again.

CI are reliant on tourism. We are not.

Nobody is vaccinated until they have had their second jab. We are now behind. 

Most people in Jersey think their government  have handled the pandemic abominably, compared to Guernsey and I.o.M. 

I probably have more reason to want to travel internationally than you. However, this is a most unusual situation, and one has to be patient. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Sorry banker, but I have said this before, no doubt I will have to say it again.

CI are reliant on tourism. We are not.

Nobody is vaccinated until they have had their second jab. We are now behind. 

Most people in Jersey think their government  have handled the pandemic abominably, compared to Guernsey and I.o.M. 

I probably have more reason to want to travel internationally than you. However, this is a most unusual situation, and one has to be patient. 

Sorry, Cambon I’ve said it before and will say it again you talk a load of bollocks!!

Its nothing to do with tourists it’s about allowing free movement of the residents & families!!

Dont worry international travel soon & well before your September estimate 

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

At last, a second use for tin baths. 

And that is the difference between a civil servant who sits on their arse all day and someone with a real job.

The first needs a tin bath to cover their fat, over salaried and over pensioned underworked arse.

The latter needs a tin can (one of the small tuna ones)

7 hours ago, piebaps said:Precisely. The SP travel exemption notices have been published and are at best unclear. Having read them, its easy to see how there were misinterpreted. It was only in Feb this year that they were finally tightened.

Exactly. Neither the Government or the Steam Packet wanted to bring back COVID to the Island,There were misunderstandings no doubt.

But these are exceptional times and as such we need to see the bigger picture. 

A baying mob calling for resignations is not the right response.

Some on here sneer when it is said lessons can be learned from such situations.  Well this is exactly such a situation and provides the opportunity to learn and put new protocols in place, for example not relying on verbal evidence.

Its a time for reconciliation not reprisals

On 4/25/2021 at 7:36 PM, P.K. said:

Probably beyond all help. But I suppose with a virus on the loose demonstrating just what it's actually capable of in India you should at least try....

The problem with the death toll in India is likely more due to institutionally corrupt things like this happening where resources are taken from the poor and the complete disarray in its failing healthcare system. Plus, of course, the widespread poverty and the generally insanitary conditions that prevail compared to the US or Asia or Europe. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9529923/Indian-woman-dies-Covid-two-hours-police-oxygen-cylinder-VIP.html

Edited by Mr Roboto
  • Like 2