IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I still don't know what practical use the antibody tests are.

Totally unrelated, what's the point in using Google?

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/66122Pantibody.pdf page 3.

Edited by GD4ELI
Changed page no.

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

183 days is a tax requirement only and doesn't necessarily apply for any other purpose.

Going to school in the IOM doesn't mean you don't need a permit. You qualify as an Isle of Man worker as follows https://www.gov.im/categories/working-in-the-isle-of-man/work-permits/definitions/isle-of-man-worker/

There are nine separate ways that a person can be an 'Isle of Man worker'. An 'Isle of Man worker' is an individual:

• who was born in the Isle of Man
  • who has at any time been ordinarily resident in the Isle of Man for an unbroken period of at least 5 years ending on or after 1 October 2015
  • who is the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker and is entitled to remain in the Island under immigration law
  • who was the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker, was living in the Isle of Man immediately before the death of the Isle of Man worker, and has lived in the Island ever since
  • who was the spouse or civil partner of an Isle of Man worker, had lived in the Isle of Man for an unbroken period of at least 3 years immediately before being divorced and has lived in the Island ever since
  • whose parent is (or was immediately before death) an Isle of Man worker, if at the time of the child’s birth the parent, or the parent’s spouse or civil partner, was serving in the armed forces
  • whose parent was born in the Isle of Man and lived in the Isle of Man for his or her first 5 years
  • whose grandparent was born in the Isle of Man and lived in the Isle of Man for his or her first 5 years
  • who:
    (a) was, for an unbroken period of at least a year:
         (i) under 23 years old
         (ii) ordinarily resident in the Island
         (iii) in full-time education
    (b) has lived in the Isle of Man since the end of that period, and
    (c) is the child of a person who during that period was:
         (i) an Isle of Man worker
         (ii) an exempt person in regular full-time employment
         (iii) the holder of a work permit

References to relationships include adoptive and step relationships.

Sneaky buggers changed the rules, anyway I'll be too old...

Before the virus got out of control, I read that viruses tend to mutate pretty quickly to become non lethal. They learn not to kill their hosts as that inevitably kills themselves. This has apparently happened with some of the other Corona viruses? Are we in the British Isles benefitting from this, being slightly later in the infection loop to Italy and France? If this id a fact, will we actually need a vaccine before the virus adapts to non lethal survival? 

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What's your point? That doesn't give any explanation for what the practical use is. 

Simple. It reports to a statistically accurate level who has been exposed, asymptomatically, it will show what groups have higher exposure, kids, teachers, social workers, care workers, hospital workers. 

That should help forward plan for vaccine distribution and resource allocation.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Simple. It reports to a statistically accurate level who has been exposed, asymptomatically, it will show what groups have higher exposure, kids, teachers, social workers, care workers, hospital workers. 

That should help forward plan for vaccine distribution and resource allocation.

But all that is fairly obvious and common sense. Everyone knows that hospital workers are the most at risk, and people who work outdoors on their own likely to be at the lowest. Same with the prevalence across the whole Island, what was it 300 odd official cases but everyone knows it was higher than that. How much higher will be interesting to know I suppose, but mostly pointless. You could probably write a short paper right now making everything up based on just living through it for the last few months and the conclusions will be pretty much what the conclusions from the antibody tests will be. 

The biggest bit that will be missing will be kids, seeing as schools closed and all the group activities they're normally involved in ground to a halt. It'll be interesting watching what happens when the kids go back in countries which still have the virus circulating.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Cambon said:

Word is that TT2021 is in question because it is unlikely enough racers will qualify. That is all. The rest is your imagination (or dream!)

Heard who I think was head marshal on radio at lunchtime saying they are contacting all marshals to check if they still intend coming next year.

the concern is that a lot won’t be able to afford to come due to loss of earnings etc.

skelly should be using some of the massive savings from this year  & budget he has to pay all costs for visiting marshals 

18 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Well TK’s bring busy and the coffee shops is not enough , it’s the silent damage to the economy and the longer borders remain shut the harder that will be to reverse. Empty order books , no new business et al

Perhaps we can send Howie & ashy to Jersey on a fact finding mission to see how it’s done?

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/08/23/covid-test-lab-important-for-winter-virus-season/

Hey , manx solutions for manx problems is their mantra so I think not. Apparently the Jersey tourist industry is going pretty well at the moment , whilst our leaders are on their holidays. I expect little from our leaders that way I’m never disappointed!

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Perhaps we can send Howie & ashy to Jersey on a fact finding mission to see how it’s done?

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/08/23/covid-test-lab-important-for-winter-virus-season/

Didn't realise that this whole time Jersey didn't have its own lab and were still sending all their tests to the uk.