IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hmmm.

Quite.

If you are locked down you reduce virus transmission which reduces the number of people infected which reduces the number of people who die from it. But of course essential workers, especially in the NHS, are still very much at risk.

I thought that was perfectly clear but apparently not.

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

IMHO the very idea is complete and utter bollox.

Did you read either article or are you particularly thick (judging by the utterly demented drivel you post on here I'll settle for the latter)

'A paper written for the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) on 22 March was concerned that the public was too relaxed about the pandemic. It argued that ‘the perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging’. Others working in the Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours (SPI-B), a subgroup of SAGE, seemed to have agreed. At least one member of SAGE was moved to admit that, ‘The British people have been subjected to an unevaluated psychological experiment without being told that is what’s happening’.

It was no 'idea' - it was government policy!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Did you read either article or are you particularly thick (judging by the utterly demented drivel you post on here I'll settle for the latter)

'A paper written for the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) on 22 March was concerned that the public was too relaxed about the pandemic. It argued that ‘the perceived level of personal threat needs to be increased among those who are complacent, using hard-hitting emotional messaging’. Others working in the Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours (SPI-B), a subgroup of SAGE, seemed to have agreed. At least one member of SAGE was moved to admit that, ‘The British people have been subjected to an unevaluated psychological experiment without being told that is what’s happening’.

Well, like most of Bozo's pandemic policies it failed....

Despite all the "No Entry Without A Face Covering" signs on shops etc as far as I can see at least 30% ignore it. So a lot of supermarkets now have security guards who stop the morons going in. Needless to say a slanging match kicks off. Our local CoOp even has a box of free masks in the entrance and they get ignored.

The UK infection rate seems to have flat-lined at 2000+ new cases per day. It just reminds me that there are two factors involved in the spread of covid:

The population density

and

The density of the population...

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Well, like most of Bozo's pandemic policies it failed....

Despite all the "No Entry Without A Face Covering" signs on shops etc as far as I can see at least 30% ignore it. So a lot of supermarkets now have security guards who stop the morons going in. Needless to say a slanging match kicks off. Our local CoOp even has a box of free masks in the entrance and they get ignored.

The UK infection rate seems to have flat-lined at 2000+ new cases per day. It just reminds me that there are two factors involved in the spread of covid:

The population density

and

The density of the population...

Want to elaborate on  the last three lines?

People aren't dense.  People are realising that with the level of protection the vaccines now offer the population there is no need to be scared of contracting COVID.  Certainly not scared enough to compromise the rest of your life around it (with a a very small number of exceptions like seriously vulnerable who can't be jabbed)

People are getting their lives back.  Until such point as swathes of people are ending up in hospital specifically because they have COVID, or deaths are racking up specifically because of COVID, then there is no need to halt the rapid steps the UK and IOM are making to get our lives back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Want to elaborate on  the last three lines?

People aren't dense.  People are realising that with the level of protection the vaccines now offer the population there is no need to be scared of contracting COVID.  Certainly not scared enough to compromise the rest of your life around it (with a a very small number of exceptions like seriously vulnerable who can't be jabbed)

People are getting their lives back.  Until such point as swathes of people are ending up in hospital specifically because they have COVID, or deaths are racking up specifically because of COVID, then there is no need to halt the rapid steps the UK and IOM are making to get our lives back.

They are either dense or selfish or both. I mean, what part of  "No Entry Without A Face Covering" do you think it is that they don't understand? Or do you think they're simply illiterate?

Wearing a face covering is such a simple thing to do it's just crass not to when asked. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Others working in the Scientific Pandemic Insights Group on Behaviours (SPI-B), a subgroup of SAGE, seemed to have agreed. At least one member of SAGE was moved to admit that, ‘The British people have been subjected to an unevaluated psychological experiment without being told that is what’s happening’.

Lots worked it out fairly quickly though. A similar thing is happening with all this “variant” talk. Most sensible people are no longer scared about covid especially as they’ve been jabbed so now they’ve created the threat of super, super, covid that you should be scared about again as the vaccine might not work on it. Despite with things like the Indian variant it isn’t actually that clear whether the actual death rate is higher or whether other factors like widespread poverty and a crumbling and corrupt health care system is largely driving the death toll. But regardless the usual suspects are all out telling us that we should remain scared! 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:08 PM, wrighty said:

It’s your blatant hypocrisy that bugs me. On the one hand your saying “human tragedy, don’t blame etc” (India) on the other it’s “I entirely blame totally amoral narcissistic etc” (UK).  I don’t think you can have it both ways just because you have a pathological hatred of Boris, but don’t really have feelings either way for Narendra Modi. 

@wrighty

"Blatant hypocrisy" is a bit previous isn't it?

Had I heaped fulsome praise on the head of Narendra Modi then guilty as charged. But I haven't and I'm as likely to do that as Bozo Johnson is in finding a moral compass.

In an address in January Modi said “When the battle against Covid-19 just started, concern was raised that such a vast country like India will get devastated due to the dearth of resources.

“But, India has shown that if you have resolved to do something and resilience, it takes little time for readying the resources.”

Unfortunately like Bozo they took their eye off the ball far too early. What followed was multiple political rallies for upcoming state elections drawing thousands and thousands of supporters. Some 3.5 million pilgrims attended a religious festival on the banks of the Ganges. Basically they thought the virus was in retreat and they could relax all precautions.

Big mistake.

Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist for the World Health Organization said "Currently, India produces 60 percent of the world’s vaccines, largely through the Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest vaccine manufacturer, which played a vital role in generating enough COVID-19 vaccine doses to slow the pandemic’s spread.

"The Serum Institute has worked to deliver COVID-19 vaccines on contracts negotiated with dozens of countries around the world. But the country has been running out of raw materials to produce enough vaccines to immunize its own population of 1.3 billion people.

"So far, India is producing roughly 2 million vaccine doses each day. But the country needs to vaccinate between 6 and 7 million people per day and that rate demands that India needs to be increasing manufacturing capacity several fold.”

That's some irony. The world's biggest vaccine manufacturer unable to vaccinate it's 1,300,000,000 citizens.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s you who are the crackpot. Until 17/5 hotels in England can only allow stays for work, education and a few other permitted reasons. Not for leisure.

If you stay outside permitted reasons you, and they, commit an offence. Stays aren’t comfortable in terms of facilities available, either.

Your constant overstating the position and suggesting that the restrictions are greater  here than elsewhere, does you no credit. Your constant comparison with JSY and GSY which have their own problems and where, even with JSY the traffic light schemes have experienced anomalies and wrinkles makes you look foolish.

There’s numerous types of accommodation available from self catering, AirNb , caravans etc etc just not hotels until 17/05 so anyone who wants accommodation from basic to luxury can have it and it’s permitted for everyone within the same family. And hotels in Scotland are open now for anyone within common travel area which includes IOM

So not sure why you say stays are not permitted when they clearly are .

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

They are either dense or selfish or both. I mean, what part of  "No Entry Without A Face Covering" do you think it is that they don't understand? Or do you think they're simply illiterate?

Wearing a face covering is such a simple thing to do it's just crass not to when asked. 

So, do the shops allow them in?

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

That's some irony. The world's biggest vaccine manufacturer unable to vaccinate it's 1,300,000,000 citizens.

There’s no irony. As the UK, Israel and the USA have shown the vaccines are being sold to the highest bidders who are prepared to give the pharmaceutical companies instant cash flow to ramp up production under fixed supply contracts for tens of millions of units. So while the EU and India flounder due to self inflicted supply problems others are buying up all the vaccine as the Indian pharmaceutical companies don’t really care that much about the 1.3 billion Indians who have bugger all money, or a government that is too corrupt and tight to match the prices being paid by the front of the queue countries who have secured supply as they realize that the vaccine is the only way out of this at almost all cost. And that’s when a lot of the stuff is actually manufactured in India. India will pull the hardship card soon no doubt and claim it’s a poor third world country and needs a share of the global supply chain it’s not actually prepared to pay the going rate for to keep its residents safe. Governments are literally playing politics with peoples lives.