IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The UK is basically closed until 17 May. Hotels , as I demonstrated earlier, only take bookings for essential workers. It is illegal to stay the night in someone else's house. So you cannot stay in a B&B, or with relatives. Air B&B is a potential grey area, but only a tiny part of tourism. 

Yes, everywhere is potentially open in a couple of weeks.

BUT THEY ARE NOT NOW! 

I posted a link a couple of days ago from booking.com

There are thousands, and thousands of places you can book to stay.

I don't understand why you want to put such doom and gloom on it?

Hotels are even open in parts of the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

AirBnB, lodge parks, resort complexes, static caravan sites, camp sites. All receiving massive bookings. You don’t really seem to have much of a grip on what the UK tourist sector is comprised of. 

Yes, camp sites are open, including caravan parks. But they make up a small part of the uk tourist sector. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Cambon said:

Yes, camp sites are open, including caravan parks. But they make up a small part of the uk tourist sector. 

They don’t. And it isn’t just caravan parks as I said. You seem to have focussed exclusively on the only facilities that are still subject to restrictions (hotels) as that suits your agenda when there are so many places in the UK that are open to stay at. I was talking to a friend on Friday who was on a campsite in the Lakes. Apparently it was rammed. Booked out for months. And all the surrounding pubs taking bookings for meals and drinks in their new outdoors areas across the bank holiday weekend. 

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I posted a link a couple of days ago from booking.com

There are thousands, and thousands of places you can book to stay.

I don't understand why you want to put such doom and gloom on it?

Hotels are even open in parts of the UK.

Yes, thousands (of beds). Not millions. That is the difference. 

Also, have you actually tried to book one before 17May? Staycations are really big over there! 

Things are easing, and the sooner the better. However, we need to be pati

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Did you read your article? Or just the headline?

I read the article like all good Grauniad readers.

Go on, ask me a question on it and see if I give the right answer....

Like leaving the IOM the pain of isolating on return is a big deal. Because unlike public servants most people don't have loads of holiday they are ok to burn sitting on their arses at home.

The messages are a bit mixed though. From at least two weeks after having your second jab of an approved vaccine (yanks) to just strolling in if you come from a country with low prevelance (UK brainless youths wanting to get shitfaced so they can pass out on the beach and get nuclear grade sunburn.)

I wish them well....

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

They don’t. And it isn’t just caravan parks as I said. You seem to have focussed exclusively on the only facilities that are still subject to restrictions (hotels) as that suits your agenda when there are so many places in the UK that are open to stay at. I was talking to a friend on Friday who was on a campsite in the Lakes. Apparently it was rammed. Booked out for months. And all the surrounding pubs taking bookings for meals and drinks in their new outdoors areas across the bank holiday weekend. 

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. They are fully booked with staycations. From 17 May, hopefully it should improve. But you still have 65,000,000 people over there desperate for a break. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Exactly the point I am trying to get across. They are fully booked with staycations. From 17 May, hopefully it should improve. But you still have 65,000,000 people over there desperate for a break. 

No they’re fully booked with tourists. The way you seem to be shifting the debate is laughable now. People are driving from Cornwall to the Lakes for a vacation or visa versa. Those are not staycations they are proper holidays many miles away from home. Scotland has hordes of people coming across the border to stay. Those aren’t staycations either. Do you live your life with your head in a bucket of sand? 

Edited by Mr Roboto

You're both sort of right:

A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation.  In British English the term has increasingly come to refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad.

So in theory it should mean a holiday based in your own home, but in practice (and that includes within the Isle of Man) people are using it to mean domestic tourism that doesn't include travelling by sea or air.

20 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The image i posted up thread was hundreds of available options i found d in one part of the country in 30 seconds.

Available as in bookable.

You seem to be arguing with yourself 

24 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

No they’re fully booked with tourists. The way you seem to be shifting the debate is laughable now. People are driving from Cornwall to the Lakes for a vacation or visa versa. Those are not staycations they are proper holidays many miles away from home. Scotland has hordes of people coming across the border to stay. Those aren’t staycations either. Do you live your life with your head in a bucket of sand? 

I'm calling BS on that one.

Most normal folks without an axe to grind view a staycation as going somewhere in England, Wales and Scotland rather than abroad.

Like to hear your definition of a "proper holiday" as opposed to a "not proper holiday" or whatever as well....

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I'm calling BS on that one.

Most normal folks without an axe to grind view a staycation as going somewhere in England, Wales and Scotland rather than abroad.

Like to hear your definition of a "proper holiday" as opposed to a "not proper holiday" or whatever as well....

I have no real axe to grind other than picking you up on your propensity to talk utter cr@p. However you seem to be quite obsessional in your clamoring to justify your claims about hotels. So now everything is a staycation and not, by your definition, an actual holiday even if someone has driven 200 miles to stay at the opposite end of the country where they usually live. So by that yardstick nobody is having a holiday this year so you can stick by your original doom prophesy. Because by your yardstick even if they stay in a hotel after the 17th May it’s not a holiday it’s a staycation as they still live within 400 or 500 miles of the hotel they’ve chosen.

America must be staycation capital of the world. Fly 1,000 miles from New York to Florida. It’s just a staycation not a holiday! 

Edited by Mr Roboto

1 hour ago, Mr Roboto said:

I have no real axe to grind other than picking you up on your propensity to talk utter cr@p. However you seem to be quite obsessional in your clamoring to justify your claims about hotels. So now everything is a staycation and not, by your definition, an actual holiday even if someone has driven 200 miles to stay at the opposite end of the country where they usually live. So by that yardstick nobody is having a holiday this year so you can stick by your original doom prophesy. Because by your yardstick even if they stay in a hotel after the 17th May it’s not a holiday it’s a staycation as they still live within 400 or 500 miles of the hotel they’ve chosen.

America must be staycation capital of the world. Fly 1,000 miles from New York to Florida. It’s just a staycation not a holiday! 

Oh dear, you've confused me with somebody else. At no time have I posted anything about hotels.

Never mind. Try again....

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that if I were you:

UK likely to give green light for travel to fewer than 10 EU countries

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/03/uk-likely-to-give-green-light-for-travel-to-fewer-than-10-eu-countries

There isn’t going to be a traffic light system for travel ex UK to anywhere. There is going to be a traffic light system for entry into the UK ( and a slightly differently calibrated set of lights for IOM if you’re coming to the IOM and have  been outside UK in the previous 14 days )