IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

48 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Hey , manx solutions for manx problems is their mantra so I think not. Apparently the Jersey tourist industry is going pretty well at the moment , whilst our leaders are on their holidays. I expect little from our leaders that way I’m never disappointed!

Jersey are about one million light years ahead of us on this.

Putting our Government to shame. 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

But all that is fairly obvious and common sense. Everyone knows that hospital workers are the most at risk, and people who work outdoors on their own likely to be at the lowest. Same with the prevalence across the whole Island, what was it 300 odd official cases but everyone knows it was higher than that. How much higher will be interesting to know I suppose, but mostly pointless. You could probably write a short paper right now making everything up based on just living through it for the last few months and the conclusions will be pretty much what the conclusions from the antibody tests will be. 

The biggest bit that will be missing will be kids, seeing as schools closed and all the group activities they're normally involved in ground to a halt. It'll be interesting watching what happens when the kids go back in countries which still have the virus circulating.

Interesting scientific method. Let’s just make it up and then pretend to draw conclusions. 

It’ll also explore gender and age distribution and may even drill down to areas worst affected.

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Interesting scientific method. Let’s just make it up and then pretend to draw conclusions. 

It’ll also explore gender and age distribution and may even drill down to areas worst affected.

Oh I know, I was being flippant, I know its about gathering information, but I really cannot see what for. With all the attempts to mitigate the spread through the lockdown and all that it will be incredibly difficult to draw any conclusions about anything. I've asked around, I've tried reading up, I cannot find any actual point. I used to think there was one, but with all the doubt about what level of immunity having antibodies even gives I just think it is a waste of time and effort.

I would be delighted if someone could change my mind.

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

Well TK’s bring busy and the coffee shops is not enough , it’s the silent damage to the economy and the longer borders remain shut the harder that will be to reverse. Empty order books , no new business et al

And the longer people are allowed to work from home and barricade themselves inside their house spending nothing. It’s the perfect recipe for making things ten times worse on the high street and the worst stay at home offender seems to be government both here and in the UK. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And the longer people are allowed to work from home and barricade themselves inside their house spending nothing. It’s the perfect recipe for making things ten times worse on the high street and the worst stay at home offender seems to be government both here and in the UK. 

What makes you believe people are "spending nothing"? Most people I know have been spending just as much or more. And this is backed by national numbers which show that UK retail spending is up.

Edited by pongo

50 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Who are these people barricaded into their own homes? Is it you? Cos what you're describing in no way represents the reality I'm seeing. Everywhere I've been for the last what, 6 weeks? has been busy as hell. That Nobles Park fun day the other week was heaving, Wildlife Park was really busy the other day, glad I didn't go to the Peel day looking at the photos, Port Erin beach is packed everytime the sun comes out, weekends in Castletown are bouncing and there are even people eating in the George on a weeknight! Had to sit next to a stranger on the bus TWICE last week they were that full. You'd think we were a tourist hot spot.

• Like 3

Just now, TheTeapot said:

glad I didn't go to the Peel day looking at the photos

I heard it was full of nosy neighbour types checking people's car registration numbers and trying to catch them out on their local knowledge in case they were outsiders. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

I heard it was full of nosy neighbour types checking people's car registration numbers and trying to catch them out on their local knowledge in case they were outsiders. 

There's a thread on FB (Vader's page) about the number of UK cars here. They just don't seem to listen to any of the reasons that people may be here with a non Manx car. People are bloody thick when they get into a huddle aren't they! 

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Jersey are about one million light years ahead of us on this.

Putting our Government to shame. 

They're setting up their on-Island testing lab FOUR MONTHS after our on-Island testing lab opened? Not sure how that equates to them being light years ahead. I could put a shipping container at the Sea Terminal, stamp "COVID TEST LAB" on the side of it and drive the samples up to the hospital if it would make you happy. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Who are these people barricaded into their own homes? Is it you? Cos what you're describing in no way represents the reality I'm seeing. Everywhere I've been for the last what, 6 weeks? has been busy as hell. That Nobles Park fun day the other week was heaving, Wildlife Park was really busy the other day, glad I didn't go to the Peel day looking at the photos, Port Erin beach is packed everytime the sun comes out, weekends in Castletown are bouncing and there are even people eating in the George on a weeknight! Had to sit next to a stranger on the bus TWICE last week they were that full. You'd think we were a tourist hot spot.

I tend to agree, restaurants, shops and other leisure facilities, at least outside of the building site that is Douglas are busy. School holidays plus no real incentive to leave the island for holidays is repairing some of the local lockdown damage, although I feel for hoteliers. I know I have spent a bloody fortune on the island since we were allowed out, which in normal times would have been spent on trips abroad. The point about the restriction hindering new business opportunities, especially in the finance sector is a good one, but has to be also put in context of a global slowdown in the uptake of new business.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There's a thread on FB (Vader's page) about the number of UK cars here. They just don't seem to listen to any of the reasons that people may be here with a non Manx car. People are bloody thick when they get into a huddle aren't they! 

Yes. That's what populism is all about - thick people en masse getting their opinions listened to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The point about the restriction hindering new business opportunities, especially in the finance sector is a good one

I'm not convinced. There was someone here moaning a few weeks ago that their business based here is effectively restricted from doing old-fashioned physically face-to-face business in the UK. But it isn't.