IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

There are still loads of social media Manx cranks (mainly on Twitter) professing to the notion that the bodies are going to start piling up in Nobles soon.

Mainly whining on about mask wearing (or lack of it) about the place.

They don’t like the fact that mitigation is seen by many as making personal choices.

They want spoon feeding by Howard.

What most people want, me included, I think is a safe transition to non restrictions of borders etc  by clear leadership, effective communications and rationale for decision making so we all know where we are at and where, and when, we are going.

Have we had that so far ?

Frankly the speculations and resulting arguments about those issues on here don't do the situation justice. 

(No, I don't wear a mask anymore and refused to shop last week when they asked for personal details for track and trace. From being led by the nose by the law and threat of prison to now letting it all hang out may need some time for people to make some slight adjustments. I am desperate to get to UK to see family).

Edited by Apple
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Apple said:

(No, I don't wear a mask anymore and refused to shop last week when they asked for personal details for track and trace. From being led by the nose by the law and threat of prison to now letting it all hang out may need some time for people to make some slight adjustments. I am desperate to get to UK to see family).

The situation we have is pretty clear to most people. It’s not really that hard to work out that what government is trying to do is uncondition people from being the mindless zombies hanging on the Ashy’s every word as gospel that they have been in the last 15 months. But it seems that a lot of people seem to quite like being mindless zombies and simply can’t adapt to living in the real world anymore. It’s about assessing your own risks and not listening to a load of pricks on Twitter or Facebook crying as someone was seen not wearing a mask while driving their own car.

It’s simply time for many people to accept that they aren’t virologists or covid experts and that life itself presents risks that governments can’t manage for us. And equally that going crying to the police every 10 minutes because you see things you don’t like doesn’t cut any mustard anymore. On that basis lots of people must feel really dis-empowered too as a focus on policing draconian laws has vicariously given some the power to be right twats to other people in the last year just because they can. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Have you not read tomorrow's Village Newsletter?

No, I’m guessing its going to pop through my letterbox any day now and tell me that I’m going to die in a horrible way if we don’t all lockdown until at least 2028 and erect a statue to Rachel Glover that we can all dance around and offer treats to the Gods with ASAP in order to save ourselves. 

4E32683C-43DD-4159-9937-2B16F69CAA84.jpeg

Edited by Mr Roboto
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Apple said:

refused to shop last week when they asked for personal details for track and trace.

What is wrong with you?. In normal times this should be regarded as an unwarranted intrusion.
But these aren’t normal times, there is a deadly virus kicking around.

So what’s the problem in providing information that may possibly help stop its spread and possibly even stop others dying?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

So what’s the problem in providing information that may possibly help stop its spread and possibly even stop others dying?

OMG!  The brainwashing clearly met with zero resistance with you. 

Voice of Reason?  You are joking?

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Brainwashing? No

Just careful consideration of scientific evidence (from every side)

People dying will be very very rare and very very unfortunate as a direct result of COVID from here on.

Do you think that it an inaccurate  statement and that actually there is still a real and considerable risk of death that people should be worried about?  I genuinely don't see it so if you have a real reason to believe death only from COVID to be a concern in the future I am interested to hear why.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But these aren’t normal times, there is a deadly virus kicking around.

Actually there isn’t. Not in any major way. The UK statistics are falling off a cliff too due to mass vaccination. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-new-cases-of-covid-19-for-third-consecutive-day/

Edited by Mr Roboto
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Roboto said:

No, I’m guessing its going to pop through my letterbox any day now and tell me that I’m going to die in a horrible way if we don’t all lockdown until at least 2028 and erect a statue to Rachel Glover that we can all dance around and offer treats to the Gods with ASAP in order to save ourselves. 

4E32683C-43DD-4159-9937-2B16F69CAA84.jpeg

Brilliant post. That's a perspective that most don't get. The 'spat' is an embarrassment but in the overall context of our fight with the virus its insignificant. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Brilliant post. That's a perspective that most don't get. The 'spat' is an embarrassment but in the overall context of our fight with the virus its insignificant. 

The cult of Rachel is quite amusing really. I think the cult members should definitely put up big Wicker Rachel’s on common land and worship them to keep them safe from harm as it’s all they’re effectively doing on social media anyway. It was a very inglorious moment for government amongst a series of inglorious moments government has had in relation to its covid response. But to quote Andy Warhol she’s had her 15 minutes of fame. There’s much worse been done in the last 15 months. Particularly the mass imprisonments and other completely out of control Lockdown 1 behaviours which the average covid-head Rachel supporter was literally cheering and baying at like demented idiots. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

The cult of Rachel is quite amusing really. I think the cult members should definitely put up big Wicker Rachel’s on common land and worship them to keep them safe from harm as it’s all they’re effectively doing on social media anyway. It was a very inglorious moment for government amongst a series of inglorious moments government has had in relation to its covid response. But to quote Andy Warhol she’s had her 15 minutes of fame. There’s much worse been done in the last 15 months. Particularly the mass imprisonments and other completely out of control Lockdown 1 behaviours which the average covid-head Rachel supporter was literally cheering and baying at like demented idiots. 

"the mass imprisonments" indeed.

The hyperbole seems to be ramping up in direct proportion to the (imho over simplified) expectation.

As India have found to their cost opening up thinking all is well is a literally fatal mistake.

Folks like professors of infectious diseases are saying the more you open up the faster dangerous variants arrive on your shores. It's not "if they arrive" it's actually "when they arrive" hence a booster shot program is being planned for the autumn.

Because as we all know the "Kent variant" went through the UK like a dose of salts tipping the country into yet another lockdown in an attempt slow it down. The message not to be blase about it's capabilities couldn't have been clearer really. Unless it doesn't suit your agenda of course....

Nobody is safe until everybody is safe is not a bad maxim really. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr Roboto said:

Idiosyncracies abound

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"the mass imprisonments" indeed.

The hyperbole seems to be ramping up in direct proportion to the (imho over simplified) expectation.

As India have found to their cost opening up thinking all is well is a literally fatal mistake.

Oh no I conjured up the forums Genie of Doom again. I don’t think 60 people thrown in prison (which is what has been reported) is hyperbole to be honest. It’s a huge number of people and it happened under emergency covid laws. 

On India again ........ more doom ...... yes we’re all going to die. I really believe you. 

D60EEF66-7BCB-45BD-802C-302587A664EB.jpeg