IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 hours ago, Mr Roboto said:

No, I’m guessing its going to pop through my letterbox any day now and tell me that I’m going to die in a horrible way if we don’t all lockdown until at least 2028 and erect a statue to Rachel Glover that we can all dance around and offer treats to the Gods with ASAP in order to save ourselves. 

4E32683C-43DD-4159-9937-2B16F69CAA84.jpeg

Pretty much spot on. 

It also let's you know that bin collections scheduled for Monday 3rd May took place on Friday 30th April so please have your bins out. 

42 minutes ago, Mr Roboto said:

Oh no I conjured up the forums Genie of Doom again. I don’t think 60 people thrown in prison (which is what has been reported) is hyperbole to be honest. It’s a huge number of people and it happened under emergency covid laws. 

On India again ........ more doom ...... yes we’re all going to die. I really believe you. 

My £50 says we're all going to die. Any takers?

The thing is you should not want to die an avoidable death through stupidity.

But each to their own of course...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Can I ask you P.K., given the situation in the U.K. currently, do you believe there is a real & immediate threat to the Islands population should our Government decide to open the borders without restrictions as many are asking?

By that, I mean, do you believe Noble’s Hospital will be overwhelmed to the point we run out of beds & oxygen as people die on a daily basis?

That is the reason why we have all gone through this & continue to do so.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Can I ask you P.K., given the situation in the U.K. currently, do you believe there is a real & immediate threat to the Islands population should our Government decide to open the borders without restrictions as many are asking?

By that, I mean, do you believe Noble’s Hospital will be overwhelmed to the point we run out of beds & oxygen as people die on a daily basis?

simple answer is no

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The hospital does not need to be overwhelmed for people to die. As we have seen in the last outbreak.

Strange (after Thatcher) but true the government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens. That includes those with conditions like immunocompromised and immunosuppressed who were not part of the vaccine testing programs but are very vulnerable to the virus.

Rock and a hard place. After the tragedy that is India, a country who had thought it had beaten the virus but now has over 21M infections and 230,168 deaths, the reluctance of leaders to fully open is perfectly understandable.

Here is a question for you.

Do you think it is acceptable for a country to open it's borders knowing some of it's citizens are going to die and if so in Mannin's case what do you think is an acceptable number?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Mr Roboto said:

Actually there isn’t. Not in any major way. The UK statistics are falling off a cliff too due to mass vaccination. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-new-cases-of-covid-19-for-third-consecutive-day/

UK stats are falling off the cliff because of four months of hard lockdown. Vaccination is starting to have an effect now that the uk has realised their error and have ramped up second jabs, backing off on first. 

And, yes actually there is. Not the original or uk variants, but new ones from Brazil, S.A.  and India for which first is insufficient. 

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Apple said:

No, I don't wear a mask anymore and refused to shop last week when they asked for personal details for track and trace.

Regardless of the current level of risk, either real or perceived, why on earth would you refuse to shop when asked for your details for track and trace.

Is it a case of misplaced principles, cutting off your nose to spite your face or just enjoying looking foolish?

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

What on earth is an avoidable death? You could get hit by a bus tomorrow or die of a heart attack running for one. Do you want government to ban all buses on that basis just in case it happens? Honestly you accuse others of hyperbole and yet you make the most outrageously incorrect over statements time and time again in what honestly just sounds like a deep seated desire to transmit your own paranoia onto other people via osmosis. The one thing people like you seem to really fear is a return to a normal life as some perhaps they think they’ve got power over other people for one time in their lives still by continually trying to scare other idiots half to death with their hysteria and half baked covid stories.

Government is taking away the power from people like you to spread your fear. The rules are going or have gone and the borders will be fully opening very soon whether you like it or agree with it or not. And screwed up irresponsible people like you and others will ultimately be found responsible for an awful lot of suicides and mental health issues in others by using social media to spread your obsessional fear mongering shit. 

9 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Do you think it is acceptable for a country to open it's borders knowing some of it's citizens are going to die and if so in Mannin's case what do you think is an acceptable number?

Ye it is acceptable in my view. That's like asking someone who is building a road and saying do you realise that your road might cause 20 deaths on the next 50 years and do you think that's acceptable? So long as the road builder takes reasonable steps to reduce the risk (like we are with the virus) then its acceptable. Nothing can be without risk.

Such questions of ethics are challenging but at the end of the day without point.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The hospital does not need to be overwhelmed for people to die. As we have seen in the last outbreak.

Strange (after Thatcher) but true the government of the day have a duty of care to ALL of their citizens. That includes those with conditions like immunocompromised and immunosuppressed who were not part of the vaccine testing programs but are very vulnerable to the virus.

Rock and a hard place. After the tragedy that is India, a country who had thought it had beaten the virus but now has over 21M infections and 230,168 deaths, the reluctance of leaders to fully open is perfectly understandable.

Yes.

Two a week as a direct result of COVID would be acceptable IMO if it opened us up.

Won't happen though.  That per head of population would be somewhere in the region of 5 tines the death rate India are currently facing and our vaccinations and healthcare provision are in no way comparable.

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

People die of lots of things P.K., lots of horrible, nasty things. 

Smoking is a proven killer of people but I don’t see cigarettes banned from entering a country.

You have to start thinking bigger picture than being trapped in a Covid prison.

Life is fraught with risk, it’s everywhere. We all choose to live our lives mitigating those risks as best we can.

Closing borders might have been a good idea, it’s really not now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Roboto said:

The cult of Rachel is quite amusing really. I think the cult members should definitely put up big Wicker Rachel’s on common land and worship them to keep them safe from harm as it’s all they’re effectively doing on social media anyway. It was a very inglorious moment for government amongst a series of inglorious moments government has had in relation to its covid response. But to quote Andy Warhol she’s had her 15 minutes of fame. There’s much worse been done in the last 15 months. Particularly the mass imprisonments and other completely out of control Lockdown 1 behaviours which the average covid-head Rachel supporter was literally cheering and baying at like demented idiots. 

You say this as though scientific advice couldn't actually be used to make a more informed and pragmatic series of decisions about how to handle outbreaks.

Not many places have had a combination of local elimination, a genomics lab for what is a small number of cases, and the expertise to use it. Combined with a contact tracing team that are actually able to contact everyone. It's a near-unique level of insight and data-gathering on the global stage.

Suddenly, you're in a position where you're both guiding and refining the contact tracing process, keeping us out of lockdown. The former has been done to death on MF, but that's as well as having a potentially bigger scientific impact. I'm sure there are ministers who would wet themselves in excitement if there were headlines going out about how the IOM was helping to shape how COVID is managed in the early stages of an outbreak.

But, instead we have a farcical saga including an anonymous letter read out in a press briefing. Which feels like something that would be done in the playground. Plus the rest of it.

You're conflating different groups of people, the ones that would have the Manx Bubble to the ends of the earth, and the ones that simply want an appropriate response, using all the tools available.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1