IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

39 minutes ago, pongo said:

Which is great. And the markets booming too.

What markets are booming, certainly not FTSE which is down 30% from pre Covid.

also If IOM is booming so much why are there record unemployed with this likely to be increasing in next 2 months as government support stops. Also manufacturing companies are finding it difficult to source some raw materials and of course can’t do any marketing trips.

some rose tinted specs on this forum 

1 hour ago, pongo said:

What makes you believe people are "spending nothing"? Most people I know have been spending just as much or more. And this is backed by national numbers which show that UK retail spending is up.

They aren’t back spending on the high street using physical shops that employ actual people and which pay tax and NI in the UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53726266

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They aren’t back spending on the high street using physical shops that employ actual people and which pay tax and NI in the UK. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53726266

Sure - lockdown has accelerated a trend. Much of what used to happen on the high street won't. With or without Covid.

The people who facilitate delivery pay tax and NI.

In many cases it makes a lot more sense to get stuff delivered.

Edited by pongo

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

Sure - lockdown has accelerated a trend. Much of what used to happen on the high street won't. With or without Covid.

The people who facilitate delivery pay tax and NI.

Won't be able to scalp much off a minimum wage.

ETA unless they work for the post office that is.

Edited by finlo

6 minutes ago, pongo said:

No it isn't.

You're obviously not a banker!

Well 7600 January, now 6000 so down 21% but obviously your definition of booming doesn’t agree with everyone else.

of course you didn’t comment on the record unemployment either in this booming economy 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well 7600 January, now 6000 so down 21% but obviously your definition of booming doesn’t agree with everyone else.

of course you didn’t comment on the record unemployment either in this booming economy 

And other stock markets touching all time highs. And the property market has bounced right back too.

Stop being so negative.

ETA: At 7600 it was due a correction anyhow. It's a chance for people to make money on the way up again. As it has been since late Feb.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

Just now, pongo said:

And other stock markets touching all time highs. And the property market has bounced right back too.

Stop being so negative.

You sound like Trump, so UK & European markets well down & record unemployment worldwide including Iom and that’s good!!

Just now, Banker said:

You sound like Trump, so UK & European markets well down & record unemployment worldwide including Iom and that’s good!!

You're just being negative. Things could be a lot worse.

Anyhow - it's a time of opportunity. We needed a dip to kick off the next boom.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

Stop being so negative.

The property market seems to be on fire over here, I'm amazed. At the start of the pandemic I had real concerns about that, I thought things could just collapse or at least totally stagnate in the construction industry, but instead houses are selling like crazy, and loads of people are having extensions built. Busy busy busy.

Again, the on the ground reality is a long way from Banker and Sultan total doom.

But apparently I'm a 'covid mentalist'.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

You're just being negative. Things could be a lot worse.

Anyhow - it's a time of opportunity. We needed a dip to kick off the next boom.

Indeed, hardcore economists argue that recessions are good, weeding out the weak and zombie businesses. Not so nice if you are one of those employed by them though... 

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

The liberal economy is proving to be surprisingly resilient. That's good news in a time of uncertainty.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

The property market seems to be on fire over here, I'm amazed. At the start of the pandemic I had real concerns about that, I thought things could just collapse or at least totally stagnate in the construction industry, but instead houses are selling like crazy, and loads of people are having extensions built. Busy busy busy.

Again, the on the ground reality is a long way from Banker and Sultan total doom.

What world are you 2 in ? Neither has answered why unemployment is at record levels if economy is so great . You obviously know nothing about manufacturing or generating new business, must be employed at job Centre!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

They're setting up their on-Island testing lab FOUR MONTHS after our on-Island testing lab opened? Not sure how that equates to them being light years ahead. I could put a shipping container at the Sea Terminal, stamp "COVID TEST LAB" on the side of it and drive the samples up to the hospital if it would make you happy. 

I think 68,000 tests concluded might be what I was referring to but you crack on sunshine.

• Like 1