IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Written by someone sitting at home!

I'd argue there's a lot to be said for being in the workplace.

Frankly, it's a pain not being able to pop your head in when you need to speak to someone. There's a lot lost in Teams/Slack/Zoom/Email. But, equally, I see how and why people far prefer a remote-based world. Bums on seats shouldn't be your only performance metric.

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s not amusing to die from anything but if you don’t have adequate health care systems then that’s the reality for many people, however it’s nothing for UK or us to be scared of given the vaccinations programs & health care we have 

Every time the virus infects someone there is a chance of more variants being produced. PHE have already labelled one of being "of concern". 

Fortunately you know better...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Who are these people? Do they actually exist? 

Having survived the lockdowns on JSA or MERA depending on which lockdown I'd have thought people might have a little more sympathy now for those on benefits long term. It is HARD living on that, and hardly suitable as a lifestyle choice. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Frankly, it's a pain not being able to pop your head in when you need to speak to someone. There's a lot lost in Teams/Slack/Zoom/Email. But, equally, I see how and why people far prefer a remote-based world. Bums on seats shouldn't be your only performance metric.

I haven't seen an office where you would be welcomed if you "pop your head in" for years.

The world has changed even before covid and everything is scheduled meetings this day.  Nothing less productive when you are trying to crack on with something than being disturbed all the time.

My emails don't even auto deliver anymore, back to the days when they only come in when I ask for them from the server and have time put aside to deal with them.

Phone messages are only picked up at scheduled times and teams is on dnd unless for a scheduled call.

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Having survived the lockdowns on JSA or MERA depending on which lockdown I'd have thought people might have a little more sympathy now for those on benefits long term. It is HARD living on that, and hardly suitable as a lifestyle choice. 

Lots of people struggled with a reduction in income.

Lots of others (civil servants) cracked on with a lovely new lifestyle and full pay.  In many cases saving cash on travel, parking and expensive coffee and lunches.

Lots of shiny new living rooms and kitchens painted while people were "working" from home on full wedge, while others were selling belongings and heading to the food bank and Manx Solidarity fund.

All done now though.  Can't and won't happen again and the island need to maximise every revenue and pr opportunity to make all our lives better and all of us proud to show the island off to the outside world again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I haven't seen an office where you would be welcomed if you "pop your head in" for years.

The world has changed even before covid and everything is scheduled meetings this day.  Nothing less productive when you are trying to crack on with something than being disturbed all the time.

My emails don't even auto deliver anymore, back to the days when they only come in when I ask for them from the server and have time put aside to deal with them.

Phone messages are only picked up at scheduled times and teams is on dnd unless for a scheduled call.

Wow. Just wow. That sounds like a very sterile environment and way of working. 

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Suits me.

I am only office based two days a week and my office work is head down and serious concentration.

45 minutes at a time normally then 15 minutes to check and reply to emails, voicemails (incredibly rare these days) whatsapp, fb messenger etc.

All those things pinging every couple of minutes together with people popping in all the time would see my back to the days when all day every day was dealing with unscheduled interruptions and all the real work getting g done early morning, eve ing and weekends.

This way I am in control of my time and get my non work life back.

Edited by trmpton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Suits me.

I am only office based two days a week and my office work is head down and serious concentration.

45 minutes at a time normally then 15 minutes to check and reply to emails, voicemails (incredibly rare these days) whatsapp, fb messenger etc.

All those things pinging every couple of minutes together with people popping in all the time would see my back to the days when all day every day was dealing with unscheduled interruptions and all the real work getting g done early morning, eve ing and weekends.

This way I am in control of my time and get my non work life back.

Does that include customers (public and/or private sector)?

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Quite. But if you're just a bean-counter or whatever it doesn't really matter.

The 7-38-55 rule

The 7-38-55 rule is a concept concerning the communication of emotions. The rule states that 7 percent of meaning is communicated through spoken word, 38 percent through tone of voice, and 55 percent through body language.

Which is why face-to-face is the only way to build trust.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Does that include customers (public and/or private sector)?

Customers (public and private sector) get a reply to any communication within an hour during working hours (unless I am in a meeting for longer than an hour)

All channels are checked every hour where possible.

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Customers (public and private sector) get a reply to any communication within an hour during working hours (unless I am in a meeting for longer than an hour)

All channels are checked every hour where possible.

So if a customer calls you, do you pick up or leave it until it suits you to do so?

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

So if a customer calls you, do you pick up or leave it until it suits you to do so?

My phone is on dnd 24/7 everyone goes to voicemail apart from the wife, kids, business partner and my staff.

Everyone else its no different to calling someone who is in a meeting, already on the phone, with a client.

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

bums on seats is why great swathes of middle management are hired, to keep a beady eye on them, the pandemic has shown how utterly useless a lot of them are as the WFH people have carried on without needing supervision, i know i have.

• Like 1